Shimano reel speeds and techniques.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano reel speeds and techniques.

Post by green weenie » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:07 pm

I’m still debating the speed I need for each reel and technique as I plan to update some Shimano reels for my conquest and nrx rods. TacticalBassin had a recommendation on their site and I’m wondering what you agree with. My plan was to go with xgs on most bottom contact rods and even for punching and top water/frogging. This would
Include multiple uses for spinnerbaits/shallow square bills, smaller paddle tail swimbaits, etc. pg or similar speed geared reels would be for deep cranking. Take a look at the Tactical Bassin (TB) list and see what you agree with or why you disagree. I want to order a large batch of reels very soon. And always thanks for your advise and Information.

TB list—Different Reel Speeds/Techniques...

8.1:1 (XG)- Buzzbait, Toads, Burning Lipless, Speed Cranking, Squarebills, Whopper Plopper

7.1:1 (HG)- Topwater, Spinnerbait, Chatterbait, Hopping Jigs, Shaky head, Underspin, Most Moving Baits

6.2:1 (Standard)- Carolina Rig, Finesse Fishing, Dragging Jigs, Bottom Crawling Swimbaits, All Around Universal Speed

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano reel speeds and techniques.

Post by Drakestar » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:08 pm

Something to keep in mind is that the gear ratio is just one part of the equation - spool size really determines how much line is retrieved with each turn of the handle. So consider the gear ratio AND the size of the spool. By way of example, Inches Per Turn on some of these reels is subtly but significantly different because of different spools and slightly different gear ratios:

Bantam MGL: Reg - 26 inches, HG -30 inches, XG - 34 inches
Chronarch 150 MGL: Reg - 26, HG - 30, XG - 34
Curado 150 MGL: Reg - 24, HG - 29, XG - 32
Curardo 70 MGL: HG - 28, XG - 32
Aldebaran MGL : Reg - 26, HG - 29

I'd look at your intended Inches Per Turn for each application and pick a reel accordingly. Then pick a reel with the lower gear ratio if you still get the desired retrieve speed, because lower gear ratios are easier to turn and don't lock up as easily on heavy loads.

For reference, retrieving a 120 foot cast takes about 57 handle turns at 26 IPT, 50 handle turns at 29 IPT, and 45 turns at 32 IPT.

It's always possible to crank the handle a bit faster/slower if needed :) 57 handle turns vs 50 handle turns is easily compensated for, you need to reel ~14% faster to reach the same speed with the lower gear ratio reel.

Other than that, the TB list feels as good as any. TB are kinda unique in using high gear ratios for deep cranking, the common wisdom is to go with a lower gear ratio.
Last edited by Drakestar on Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by green weenie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Thanks for the insight and the technical and application values. Awesome stuff! Wes

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:46 pm

Don't forget that, at the end of a long cast, your spool diameter will be smaller, because you've sent a lot of line off with the cast. That will affect lure retrieve speed at both ends of the cast.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:08 pm

I stick to 7.1 or 7.4 for 90% of my applications. I only use 6.2 for cranking these days. I use the 8.1+ for jigs/flipping.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:31 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:08 pm
Something to keep in mind is that the gear ratio is just one part of the equation - spool size really determines how much line is retrieved with each turn of the handle. So consider the gear ratio AND the size of the spool. I.e. inches Per Turn on these reels is subtly but significantly different because of different spools and slightly different gear ratios:

Bantam MGL: Reg - 26 inches, HG -30 inches, XG - 34 inches
Chronarch 150 MGL: Reg - 26, HG - 30, XG - 34
Curado 150 MGL: Reg - 24, HG - 29, XH - 32
Curardo 70 MGL: HG - 28, XG - 32
Aldebaran MGL : Reg - 26, HG - 29

I'd look at your intended Inches Per Turn for each application and pick a reel accordingly. Then pick a reel with the lower gear ratio if you still get the desired retrieve speed, because lower gear ratios are easier to turn and don't lock up as easily on heavy loads.

For reference, retrieving a 120 foot cast takes about 57 handle turns at 26 IPT, 50 handle turns at 29 IPT, and 45 turns at 32 IPT.

It's always possible to crank the handle a bit faster/slower if needed :) 57 handle turns vs 50 handle turns is easily compensated for, you need to reel ~14% faster to reach the same speed with the lower gear ratio reel.

Other than that, the TB list feels as good as any. TB are kinda unique in using high gear ratios for deep cranking, the common wisdom is to go with a lower gear ratio.
Good stuff.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."