Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:34 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:27 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:10 am
I would expect the performance to be very SV like.
That’s what I was hoping for. Especially if it can be like the SV Boost and get more true to ‘free’ as the spool speed gets low.

Got me interested for sure.
How free it will be toward the end will depend on a lot of factors. If you want free SV in a short 32mm smooth reel then and cheap and easy option in an Alphas TW SV with a spring or inductor swap to get your desired results. That's one thing I'll say for Daiwa Air Brake. There is loads of tuning potential. I would to a Ray's inductor and handle swap an Alphas for like $220 total cost if I was on a journey for a more free casting SV 32mm small reel. Spool is narrow though but I only put the thumb tip the spool and hold the rod when casting so it works for me.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:36 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:26 am
Ok I'm on the dumb side of this. Where is Do you made? Could not read nor understand that video

Jeff
Korea. They are the company that is behind the Lews and Abu reels.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:34 am

How free it will be toward the end will depend on a lot of factors. If you want free SV in a short 32mm smooth reel then and cheap and easy option in an Alphas TW SV
I do have that reel and enjoy it very much.

I’m looking for an excuse to buy more reels, ha ha.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:12 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:19 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:16 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:32 pm
It's basically an Antares knockoff with the hideous Lew's knobs/handle! :talk hand:
The handle is trash, but who uses stock handles and knobs in here? Its the shape of the frame that what i really like about this one, and titanium coating is much better than the scratch magnet on the antares.
Have you used a "titanium coated" Lew's reel before? Sounds kinda gimmicky honestly.
I have an Antares DC and an Antares Monster Drive DC that get used regularly and they don't have a single scratch on them.
I haven't, but weren't the old Quatum Energy PT coated with titanium? I owned these before and the coating was great.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:40 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:36 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:26 am
Ok I'm on the dumb side of this. Where is Do you made? Could not read nor understand that video

Jeff
Korea. They are the company that is behind the Lews and Abu reels.
Is there a website to look at?
Thanks LowRange
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:49 am

I mean, this is a good looking frame right there. Looks like a supercar.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:37 am

Did I see a 5.6 gear ratio reel? Wonder how it'll hold up cranking bigger baits?

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:26 am

First of all, no reel over $200 should have a gap between the handle and drag star. It looks awful and functionally is exposed to debris. I also find it odd that Lew's/Doyo/Abu has not implemented dual pinion support. It is time. We know it works better and we know it offers a stronger, more rigid support. If they would fix those two issues I would be more interested. I for sure prefer Daiwa and Shimano, but have still had issues from them. Anyone can get a lemon. The most expensive Daiwa I have ever bought went bad and it took a while to get it fixed, then I sold it because it felt tight and inferior compared to the new Zillion. I still have a generation 1 Silver Max my father uses for EVERYTHING. That reel has held up great and even though it isn't the smoothest or best casting, it still does its job without failure. This being said, I would maybe consider a Doyo product again in the future, I don't like to down any product until it has had a fair chance.

Concerning their new brake, I don't fully understand it. Same as Shimano's Finesse Tune Brake, I was not aware the magnets moved. My concern was that if they are on a spring, does a hard cast not potentially move them and affect your trajectory? Also wasn't aware that a magnetized spool spinning around the magnet would cause it to extend. Daiwa's SV inductor is forced out by centrifugal force but it is ON the spool so it makes sense. I have not ever understood fully how the magnets interact when the magnet is on a spring and the rotational force goes around it, varying in speed. I guess the theory is that the variance in speed causes a difference in pull on the magnet, therefore adjusting your braking. I will have to see more on the Lew's system, sometimes things they show or claim end up being different once you get them in hand. Just like that P2 bearing support. Seemed to be dual support but was not.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:19 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:26 am
First of all, no reel over $200 should have a gap between the handle and drag star. It looks awful and functionally is exposed to debris. I also find it odd that Lew's/Doyo/Abu has not implemented dual pinion support. It is time. We know it works better and we know it offers a stronger, more rigid support. If they would fix those two issues I would be more interested. I for sure prefer Daiwa and Shimano, but have still had issues from them. Anyone can get a lemon. The most expensive Daiwa I have ever bought went bad and it took a while to get it fixed, then I sold it because it felt tight and inferior compared to the new Zillion. I still have a generation 1 Silver Max my father uses for EVERYTHING. That reel has held up great and even though it isn't the smoothest or best casting, it still does its job without failure. This being said, I would maybe consider a Doyo product again in the future, I don't like to down any product until it has had a fair chance.

Concerning their new brake, I don't fully understand it. Same as Shimano's Finesse Tune Brake, I was not aware the magnets moved. My concern was that if they are on a spring, does a hard cast not potentially move them and affect your trajectory? Also wasn't aware that a magnetized spool spinning around the magnet would cause it to extend. Daiwa's SV inductor is forced out by centrifugal force but it is ON the spool so it makes sense. I have not ever understood fully how the magnets interact when the magnet is on a spring and the rotational force goes around it, varying in speed. I guess the theory is that the variance in speed causes a difference in pull on the magnet, therefore adjusting your braking. I will have to see more on the Lew's system, sometimes things they show or claim end up being different once you get them in hand. Just like that P2 bearing support. Seemed to be dual support but was not.
I recall reading your post about your Steez A clicking sound issue, but do not recall that the reel was in any way unusable or actually went bad. Also, I thought that Spankey at The Tackle Trap fixed the clicking issue the reel had and it came back with the bothersome issue fully remedied.

Is this not correct?
Last edited by dragon1 on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:21 pm

The SV spools don't use centrifugal forces to extend the inductor. Only the Magforce V and Magforce Z spools do that and they have centrifugal weights on the inductor that pull it out as the spool spins. Air Brake in SV spools uses two ramps to allow the inductor to twist a 1/4 turn and this turning motion also pushes the inductor and spool apart. Since the spool is fixed the inductor extends when turned. The inductor is turned by the magnetic field and braking caused by its presence in the magnetic field. Unlike Magforce Z spools you can get SV spools to extend the inductor at much lower spool speeds since they are not relying on centrifugal force but with their interaction with the magnetic field.

If you watch the video you can see a magnet on a table being moved by passing an aluminum tube over it near the end. It is not drawn to the tube but as if some invisible force connects the two and drags the magnet as the tube passes over head. Both the aluminum tube and magnet have an impact on each other when one or the other is in motion. To increase braking in a non-linear fashion then you need some way of letting the spool get closer to the magnets or the magnets to get closer to the spool and then pull away. It just depends on what part you want to keep stationary. A spinning spool is going to impart a twisting force to the magnets and if the magnets have some way to make a turning motion extend the magnets (like SV ramps on the magnet holder) then the magnets will compress a spring and rotate outwards and closer to the spool until the interarion between the two weakens below the spring compression force and they are pushed back down.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:34 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:19 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

I recall reading your post about your Steez A clicking sound issue, but do recall that the reel was in any way unusable or actually went bad. Also, I thought that Spankey at The Tackle Trap fixed the clicking issue the reel had and it came back with the bothersome issue fully remedied.

Is this not correct?
That is correct. It by no means fully broke the reel. It became a very prevalent and annoying tick though. He did fully eliminate the tick, but I was told it required an extra spacer or two in order to stop the tick. This tightened the levelwind a bit and it just didn't turn as freely as it used to. It wasn't bad, Tackle Trap did an excellent job with the reel. Just rubbed me the wrong way and I had gotten on this round reel kick. I put the Steez up for sale for literally what I paid and someone bought it off Facebook the first 3 hours it was posted. So I decided to try a Conquest. Really did bum me out that I had that experience with my first high end Daiwa.
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:21 pm
The SV spools don't use centrifugal forces to extend the inductor. Only the Magforce V and Magforce Z spools do that and they have centrifugal weights on the inductor that pull it out as the spool spins. Air Brake in SV spools uses two ramps to allow the inductor to twist a 1/4 turn and this turning motion also pushes the inductor and spool apart. Since the spool is fixed the inductor extends when turned. The inductor is turned by the magnetic field and braking caused by its presence in the magnetic field. Unlike Magforce Z spools you can get SV spools to extend the inductor at much lower spool speeds since they are not relying on centrifugal force but with their interaction with the magnetic field.

If you watch the video you can see a magnet on a table being moved by passing an aluminum tube over it near the end. It is not drawn to the tube but as if some invisible force connects the two and drags the magnet as the tube passes over head. Both the aluminum tube and magnet have an impact on each other when one or the other is in motion. To increase braking in a non-linear fashion then you need some way of letting the spool get closer to the magnets or the magnets to get closer to the spool and then pull away. It just depends on what part you want to keep stationary. A spinning spool is going to impart a twisting force to the magnets and if the magnets have some way to make a turning motion extend the magnets (like SV ramps on the magnet holder) then the magnets will compress a spring and rotate outwards and closer to the spool until the interarion between the two weakens below the spring compression force and they are pushed back down.
I always assumed the ramp just helped fire the inductor out there quicker. You are going from zero to VERY high revolutions quickly and putting an angle in there just works as any ramp would, it pushes outward. Then it interacts with the magnets? I fully agree that they would help pull the inductor outward too, just always thought the RPM jump was the reasoning for the SV ramp design. I also would assume an SV spool would function like a softer version of Magforce Z if you were able to stop the twisting and bridge the ramps (still allowing in and out movement). I am saying that centrifugal force would still fire an SV inductor out even without the ramp, the ramp just helps it start easier.
Explaining the twisting force helped me understand the FTB brake better. I just wasn't sure why a spinning spool or stationary would exert more pull on the magnets and was unsure how much they actually helped or moved. I ultimately questioned just how dynamic FTB was.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:42 pm

Koolio that's what I thought I read. Also I meant to type "do NOT recall".

Yeah stinks that the CCC and cranking was too tight even after the remedy. I have had a LH Steez A 7.1 (sold it because I just could not go "dirty hand") and now two 2019 Morethan 1000 PE SV RH, one each XH and SH and all have been absolutely flawless and fantastic.

"Lemons" and small issues do happen unfortunately with all things mechanical and mass produced.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
I also find it odd that Lew's/Doyo/Abu has not implemented dual pinion support. It is time.
Most new Lew's releases since '18, which were called 2020 models, have it. Since then all new releases of existing models have it above $200. The $100 LFS has it as well as the $150 MB. Lew's calls it the P2 Super pinion.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:28 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:34 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:19 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

I recall reading your post about your Steez A clicking sound issue, but do recall that the reel was in any way unusable or actually went bad. Also, I thought that Spankey at The Tackle Trap fixed the clicking issue the reel had and it came back with the bothersome issue fully remedied.

Is this not correct?
That is correct. It by no means fully broke the reel. It became a very prevalent and annoying tick though. He did fully eliminate the tick, but I was told it required an extra spacer or two in order to stop the tick. This tightened the levelwind a bit and it just didn't turn as freely as it used to. It wasn't bad, Tackle Trap did an excellent job with the reel. Just rubbed me the wrong way and I had gotten on this round reel kick. I put the Steez up for sale for literally what I paid and someone bought it off Facebook the first 3 hours it was posted. So I decided to try a Conquest. Really did bum me out that I had that experience with my first high end Daiwa.
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:21 pm

I always assumed the ramp just helped fire the inductor out there quicker. You are going from zero to VERY high revolutions quickly and putting an angle in there just works as any ramp would, it pushes outward. Then it interacts with the magnets? I fully agree that they would help pull the inductor outward too, just always thought the RPM jump was the reasoning for the SV ramp design. I also would assume an SV spool would function like a softer version of Magforce Z if you were able to stop the twisting and bridge the ramps (still allowing in and out movement). I am saying that centrifugal force would still fire an SV inductor out even without the ramp, the ramp just helps it start easier.
Explaining the twisting force helped me understand the FTB brake better. I just wasn't sure why a spinning spool or stationary would exert more pull on the magnets and was unsure how much they actually helped or moved. I ultimately questioned just how dynamic FTB was.
SV ramps are what extend the inductor on the SV spools when the inductor is twisted and it is the strength of the magnetic field that makes the inductor twist. You can flick the spool at min and max mag dial and hear the inductor extend and retract on the flick at max dial but not at min dial. The centrifugal force applied in the flick is the same between both flicks but one makes the inductor extend and the other does not. You can also pull the spool and rotate it in one hand while lightly dragging your thumb, index and middle finger over the inductor with the other. As you rotate the spool and apply pressure on the inductor with your fingers you will see the inductor slide out from the spool effectively doing the same thing the magnets are doing to the spool when in the reel. When the inductor is slowed as it is spun the inductor ramp turns against the spool ramp and the action of the two ramps pushes out the inductor. With SV spools its the braking of the spool that pushes out the inductor and not centrifugal forces as seen in the Magforce V/Z spools. On an SV spool a high magnet setting will get the inductor to extend sooner and stay out longer compared to a Magforce V/Z spool where magnetic setting has no effect on when or how long the inductor extends.