Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Post by SSS »

Is it just me or this reel looks much better than any low profile baitcasters from Daiwa or Shimano? Not only does it looks great, but i bet you it palms nicely as well. Wish the Steez looked like that.
4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Post by 4g63power »

Lews version of the new doyo coba elite platinum
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Well, it might not be "just you", but there will definitely be detractors.

Hopefully this model and the Cobra Elite prove durable and long lasting and provide excellent performance...should be a very compelling pick up in the used market. :-k
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange »

Looks sharp but those knobs though. Also I have the turd gen Revo with the Doyo Coba treatment. It has an all aluminum body construction to it can be plated in that chrome like finish. I also have a BPS JM wide spool with that same finish. It prone to tarnishing but feels super high end and classy in the hand the way a satin paint finish does not. You have to palm one to appreciate it. My Revo is also butter smooth too but haven't seen much use. Doyo can make a nice flagship reel.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 »

Nah
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS »

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:26 pm
Looks sharp but those knobs though. Also I have the turd gen Revo with the Doyo Coba treatment. It has an all aluminum body construction to it can be plated in that chrome like finish. I also have a BPS JM wide spool with that same finish. It prone to tarnishing but feels super high end and classy in the hand the way a satin paint finish does not. You have to palm one to appreciate it. My Revo is also butter smooth too but haven't seen much use. Doyo can make a nice flagship reel.
Had that revo and the Akatsuki version as well. The chrome parts were good looking, but the painted parts, with Abu cheapo paint, it looked bleh. The frame itself looks so much more comfy to palm than the revos.
Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer »

It's basically an Antares knockoff with the hideous Lew's knobs/handle! :talk hand:
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS »

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:32 am
It's basically an Antares knockoff with the hideous Lew's knobs/handle! :talk hand:
The handle is trash, but who uses stock handles and knobs in here? Its the shape of the frame that what i really like about this one, and titanium coating is much better than the scratch magnet on the antares.
Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer »

SSS wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:32 am
The handle is trash, but who uses stock handles and knobs in here? Its the shape of the frame that what i really like about this one, and titanium coating is much better than the scratch magnet on the antares.
Have you used a "titanium coated" Lew's reel before? Sounds kinda gimmicky honestly.
I have an Antares DC and an Antares Monster Drive DC that get used regularly and they don't have a single scratch on them.
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc »

I’m getting one as soon as they are available. I’ll definitely report back.

I’m a fan of Doyo ergonomics for sure. I also like their ACB system. Curious to see what Paramag is all about.

It’s just gearing and the lack of smoothness compared to Shimano/Daiwa that bothers me. We’ll see if that changes with this reel.
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc »

Finally found a video on the Paramag system.

Starts at 28 seconds in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo

So I guess my question is about those magnets moving closer to and further away from the spool. Does the dial move the magnets closer to/further away from the spool? And therefore the magnets stay in the same place during a cast?

Or will the magnets have a starting position before the cast, move closer to the spool at high spool speeds, then relax back to a starting position as the spool slows?

I would be much more excited for the latter and less for the former.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange »

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:33 pm
Finally found a video on the Paramag system.

Starts at 28 seconds in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo

So I guess my question is about those magnets moving closer to and further away from the spool. Does the dial move the magnets closer to/further away from the spool? And therefore the magnets stay in the same place during a cast?

Or will the magnets have a starting position before the cast, move closer to the spool at high spool speeds, then relax back to a starting position as the spool slows?

I would be much more excited for the latter and less for the former.
It works as if you turned the dial up early in the cast then cranked it down towards the end. The magnets move closer do the spool probably by twisting on a ramp like how SV spools extend the inductor. Basically an SV type brake. Shimano has done it with their FTB and Doyo has this brake as well as some other cheaper one I've seen in a lower spec reel. I would expect the performance to be very SV like.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange »

How it works is like Daiwa's Air Brake and Shimano FTB. An aluminum tube passed over a magnet will induce a magnetic field in the tube and will make the magnet slde back and forth on a table as an aluminum tube and waved over it due to the two magnetic fields interacting with each other.

https://youtu.be/O9DaKP2PhL4

With Air Brake the magnets are stationary and the aluminum tube (inductor) rotates in the magnetic field and this wants to slow the inductor which makes it twist against the motion of the spool and the two ramps extend the inductor outwards deeper into the magnet rings to exposing more aluminum tube to the magnets and producing more braking.

You can accomplish the same thing by flipping things around and having the aluminum tube (spool) stationary but rotating and have the moving aluminum tube impart movement onto the magnets by allowing the magnets to turn rotational motion into a linear motion to bring the magnets closer to the spool. Look at the last clip of the video showing the tube moving the magnets for illustration.

With FTB the magnets extend into the ID of the spool and twist outwards closer to the spool ID. With Paramag we most likely have magnets that rotate around the spools bearing and then extend as they twist. This is probabky how the Kastking and the ARK reels with a similar system also work. Interesting thing about the ARK reel is that they use a 4 position inductor from the the Ray's Studio spools and a paramag like brake offering even more adjustability.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 »

Ok I'm on the dumb side of this. Where is Do you made? Could not read nor understand that video

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc »

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:10 pm
I would expect the performance to be very SV like.
That’s what I was hoping for. Especially if it can be like the SV Boost and get more true to ‘free’ as the spool speed gets low.

Got me interested for sure.