Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Team Lews ELITE-Ti SLP looks better than anything from Daiwa/Shimano

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Basically with SV spool the twisting of the ramps is what makes the inductor extend and this is primarily driven by the magnets slowing the inductor. On an SV reel with a stronger breaking profile like an Alphas TW SV you can get the inductor to extend on a pretty mild flick at max mag dial. You'll flick it and hear the soft tick of the inductor seating back against the spool. The tell tale that this is primarily magnet driven rather than centrifugal is that SV spools all have pretty long inductors and all have a good bit of inductor in the magnet rings when fully retracted. They still need to be in the rings to be acted upon by the magnets to extend. This is why you will never see an SV spool with an inductor from an HLC spool with a short inductor that is basically on zero mag brake once seated. The spool would never brake. HLCs can get away with this because they use centrifugal force to extend the inductor.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:47 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:40 pm
Basically with SV spool the twisting of the ramps is what makes the inductor extend and this is primarily driven by the magnets slowing the inductor. On an SV reel with a stronger breaking profile like an Alphas TW SV you can get the inductor to extend on a pretty mild flick at max mag dial. You'll flick it and hear the soft tick of the inductor seating back against the spool. The tell tale that this is primarily magnet driven rather than centrifugal is that SV spools all have pretty long inductors and all have a good bit of inductor in the magnet rings when fully retracted. They still need to be in the rings to be acted upon by the magnets to extend. This is why you will never see an SV spool with an inductor from an HLC spool with a short inductor that is basically on zero mag brake once seated. The spool would never brake. HLCs can get away with this because they use centrifugal force to extend the inductor.
I have never heard that click. Definitely going to try and listen closer for it now. I still would assume the quick jump in revolutions would help send the SV inductor out to some point, even with magnets removed from the sideplate. I totally understand everything you are saying and bet the pull of the magnets makes a difference, I went and messed with a Zillion SV TW spool after talking to you. I forgot just how soft that spring is and how easy it twists. That being said though, I would assume it would extend even without the magnets.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:14 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:47 pm
LowRange wrote:
I have never heard that click. Definitely going to try and listen closer for it now. I still would assume the quick jump in revolutions would help send the SV inductor out to some point, even with magnets removed from the sideplate. I totally understand everything you are saying and bet the pull of the magnets makes a difference, I went and messed with a Zillion SV TW spool after talking to you. I forgot just how soft that spring is and how easy it twists. That being said though, I would assume it would extend even without the magnets.
You can see it in action here with a Chinese Air Brake spool. The heavy porting allows the two black SV ramps to be visible on the non handle side the spool, though the spool porting when spinning. When the spool is flicked at max brake the two ramps can be seen to separate and the silver of the spool shaft becomes visible. The same flick at 0 brake does not cause the ramps to separate. The magnets make the inductor spin slower than the spool so it does and the difference in speed twists the two ramps together which pushes away the inductor until it reaches its mechanical limit where can no longer spin slower than the spool and transfers that braking to the spool via the locked ramps. The magnets are not imparting a pulling or attractive force to the inductor. They are applying a twisting or slowing of the rotation of the inductor and its the SV ramps that convert this rotation into a movement that pushes the inductor toward rbe magnets.

https://youtube.com/shorts/IHpOjoip0ak?feature=share

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
My Tatula 81 makes an audible tick towards the end of most casts. The latest Tatula 100 did the same thing when I tried one out. The ticks were fairly loud. Not sure if this is common.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:12 am

joekaz wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:11 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
My Tatula 81 makes an audible tick towards the end of most casts. The latest Tatula 100 did the same thing when I tried one out. The ticks were fairly loud. Not sure if this is common.
I have a newish CT that ticks. Can't figure out why. Maybe a bad spool bearing?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:47 am

joekaz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
You are hearing the inductor snap back against the spool. With Magforce Z the inductor will be pushed back against the spool by the spring once the spool speed and centrifugal force of the Magforce Z can no longer overcome the spring which on many Daiwas is near the very end of the cast. Only on stiff spring spools does it retract sooner.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:16 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:47 am
joekaz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
You are hearing the inductor snap back against the spool. With Magforce Z the inductor will be pushed back against the spool by the spring once the spool speed and centrifugal force of the Magforce Z can no longer overcome the spring which on many Daiwas is near the very end of the cast. Only on stiff spring spools does it retract sooner.
Thanks. That makes sense. The tick is kinda annoying, but not a deal breaker.

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:26 pm
Looks sharp but those knobs though. Also I have the turd gen Revo with the Doyo Coba treatment. It has an all aluminum body construction to it can be plated in that chrome like finish. I also have a BPS JM wide spool with that same finish. It prone to tarnishing but feels super high end and classy in the hand the way a satin paint finish does not. You have to palm one to appreciate it. My Revo is also butter smooth too but haven't seen much use. Doyo can make a nice flagship reel.
Where do you buy doyo reels from?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:04 pm

zpelletier wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:20 pm
LowRange wrote:
Looks sharp but those knobs though. Also I have the turd gen Revo with the Doyo Coba treatment. It has an all aluminum body construction to it can be plated in that chrome like finish. I also have a BPS JM wide spool with that same finish. It prone to tarnishing but feels super high end and classy in the hand the way a satin paint finish does not. You have to palm one to appreciate it. My Revo is also butter smooth too but haven't seen much use. Doyo can make a nice flagship reel.
DOYO is the OEM manufacturer of Abu low-pros, as well as Lews and a lot of the BPS reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:24 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:04 pm
zpelletier wrote:
LowRange wrote:
DOYO is the OEM manufacturer of Abu low-pros, as well as Lews and a lot of the BPS reels.
Yes, I understand that. I meant, Doyo makes reels under their name, like the Coba Elite, has anyone bought one? If so, where did you buy it from?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:33 am

zpelletier wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:24 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:04 pm
zpelletier wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Yes, I understand that. I meant, Doyo makes reels under their name, like the Coba Elite, has anyone bought one? If so, where did you buy it from?
You can buy them directly from Doyo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:53 am

I have an ABU MGXtreme 2 reel that I dearly love. It’s the most lightweight baitcaster I know of (4.5oz), it casts a country mile, and it has a deep spool that only weighs 8g, so the reel does BFS well. It’s also the most ramshackle high end reel I’ve ever owned.

The side plate started shifting and moving after a year, the knobs have too much play for a high end reel, as does “everything under the drag star”. The drag star is carbon and super lightweight, the reel is specced for 12+lbs drag force, but I’ll be damned if I can get this reel to smoothly and consistently give line.

Why do I mention all of this? Because no matter how high end Lews’ new reel is, as a fellow Doyo product it’ll have all the same issues as that ABU.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:13 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:53 am

The side plate started shifting and moving after a year

Oddly enough, I see more loose side plates out of my Daiwas than Doyos. Especially with the versions that have the one underneath Faceting point.

My Doyos that have gotten loose side plates have been more due to user error bending the Faceting protrusions when reinstalling than from proper usage.

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:47 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:33 am
You can buy them directly from Doyo.
How? Every time I try to buy a reel directly from the Doyo site it tells me it can't be shipped to the US. I've also tried calling them but I don't think they have an english option

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:49 pm

Maybe they have changed, but I bought a few back before covid hit. I had to find reels that gave me the option of a quantity of 1.