22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:13 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 am
AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 am
I'm not sure it needs to be harped on further, but it's just bearing buzz and vibration. It's the factory Zillion HD boost spool, and It's plenty audible even on a short flip of the wrist cast.
(It's an iPhone mic out on the lake, so you have to turn the volume up)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WdejViLG1hg
Yeah that sounds like ass. I would not be a happy camper.
Well. I'm definitely not thrilled over it.
If you read my earlier response, the other two new Zillions I have sound similar. My USDM is a little quieter, but still has the buzzy vibration when you sling a cast.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:47 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:13 am
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
I'm not sure it needs to be harped on further, but it's just bearing buzz and vibration. It's the factory Zillion HD boost spool, and It's plenty audible even on a short flip of the wrist cast.

If you read my earlier response, the other two new Zillions I have sound similar. My USDM is a little quieter, but still has the buzzy vibration when you sling a cast.
I don't recall a thread where someone was touting an exceptionally quiet bearing. Maybe it's out there. Perhaps you can call speed spool or someone else and see if they have something fitting this description. I believe they offer many grades from standard SS to high grade ceramic. Install them in your noisiest HD, then see if it makes a difference. At least you'll know if a batch of junk bearings got into the production run. Even if this would seem to be unlikely across JDM and USDM models, anything's possible. It's the easiest factor to eliminate.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:56 am

rto wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:47 am
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

I don't recall a thread where someone was touting an exceptionally quiet bearing. Maybe it's out there. Perhaps you can call speed spool or someone else and see if they have something fitting this description. I believe they offer many grades from standard SS to high grade ceramic. Install them in your noisiest HD, then see if it makes a difference. At least you'll know if a batch of junk bearings got into the production run. Even if this would seem to be unlikely across JDM and USDM models, anything's possible. It's the easiest factor to eliminate.
I didn't say anyone touted exceptionally quiet bearings?
Just that I expected a smoother/quieter cast out of such a highly touted reel.

And I never really said I expect "exceptionally quiet"... but there's a big gap between exceptionally quiet, and (as Lowrange put it), "sounding like ass". lol.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:27 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:56 am
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:

And I never really said I expect "exceptionally quiet"... but there's a big gap between exceptionally quiet, and (as Lowrange put it), "sounding like ass". lol.
I'll try again. I'm unaware of a thread written here or anywhere else in the past, not by you, where the subject matter was "where to buy quiet bearings" or "quieter than usual bearings", and where someone found a source for them. So, I have no specific direction to point in where you might find them in order to try to address your lamentations with your stock ones. Maybe someone on this site who hasn't yet chimed in is aware of a source? Perhaps you have no interest in going that far. I suggested a vendor in my previous post if you are.

I don't know if you and I think quite differently about solving problems, that's a possibility, but if I was bothered by something enough to make YT clips, which is a clear sign I'm bothered enough, I'd be motivated to at least eliminate low hanging fruit by trying aftermarket bearings which are understood to be quieter than usual in order to figure out if the stock ones are the problem or not. There may be no such thing, but I'd wonder about that possibility and pursue an answer. At the very least I'd find one, if there was one. But that's just me.

As a casual observer I'm curious whether or not this would solve what bothers you, even though it wouldn't bother me. If you've ever watched a MLF BP tour event, you'd hear Jacob Wheeler's Duckett reels screaming, and I mean screaming, on every cast. Practically like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. A Chronarch CI4+ sounds like a Dyson Vacuum cleaner in comparison. I wouldn't be happy with one of his reels, so I have some standards at least, just not yours. Regardless, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:43 am

Ammoguy,

Maybe my reels do sound like that and I’ve never noticed. My hearing isn’t very good to the point I find myself turning my head in meetings like the words are just going to magically slide into my ears or something. I’ve only ever noticed the audible click from the brakes/inductor. I do have orange seals in several of my other reels which do make a bit more noise and they never bothered me either. I guess I’ll pay more attention when I get home and get to get out on the water.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am

rto wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:27 am
AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:56 am
rto wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I don't know if you and I think quite differently about solving problems, that's a possibility, but if I was bothered by something enough to make YT clips, which is a clear sign I'm bothered enough, I'd be motivated to at least eliminate low hanging fruit by trying aftermarket bearings which are understood to be quieter than usual in order to figure out if the stock ones are the problem or not. There may be no such thing, but I'd wonder about that possibility and pursue an answer. At the very least I'd find one, if there was one. But that's just me.

If you've ever watched a MLF BP tour event, you'd hear Jacob Wheeler's Duckett reels screaming, and I mean screaming, on every cast. Practically like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. A Chronarch CI4+ sounds like a Dyson Vacuum cleaner in comparison. I wouldn't be happy with one of his reels, so I have some standards at least, just not yours. Regardless, I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Well.
There is a difference in being "bothered" by something, and being analytical. I mean, we are all taking time out of our day, to discuss the attributes of a specific fishing reel on an internet forum....
90% of what I talk about here does not really enter my mind when I'm actually fishing. When I'm fishing, I'm fishing. When I'm tinkering with reels I'm tinkering with reels. They overlap some, but not completely.

It's funny you say that about Wheeler. I made this post on another forum about a year go (pictured).
Things change when your reels are strictly tools, and not a "hobby" in and of themselves.
Attachments
jw2.JPG
jw2.JPG (39.7 KiB) Viewed 56012 times

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:32 pm

[/quote]90% of what I talk about here does not really enter my mind when I'm actually fishing. When I'm fishing, I'm fishing.[/quote]

And here all along I've been picturing you twitching uncontrollably after each cast. Silly me. It's good to hear you're sane after all.

It's funny you say that about Wheeler. I made this post on another forum about a year go (pictured).
Things change when your reels are strictly tools, and not a "hobby" in and of themselves.
[/quote]

Amen.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:57 pm

My 2 new HDs finally came in! Zero issues, no buzzy bearings and they both make the clicking noise so I'm considering it normal.
One in 8 gear for frogging and one in 7 gear for T-rigs.
Both have Shimano power grip knobs.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220726-185708_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220726-185708_Gallery.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 55890 times

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:05 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:57 pm
My 2 new HDs finally came in! Zero issues, no buzzy bearings and they both make the clicking noise so I'm considering it normal.
Can I haver your old EVA knobs?? lol. They've really grown on me.
Beautiful looking reels, aren't they?

So what do yours "sound" like on a hard cast?

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:26 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:05 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:

I tied on a 1/2oz trap and went to town slinging it as hard as I could after reading your experience with yours. I can't hear anything from mine other than the "normal" line coming off the spool sounds. And the clicking of the inductor of course.
They truly are beautiful and match up great with most of my rods!
You can have my eva knobs if you want them too. :mrgreen:

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:26 pm
AMMOGUY wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:

I tied on a 1/2oz trap and went to town slinging it as hard as I could after reading your experience with yours. I can't hear anything from mine other than the "normal" line coming off the spool sounds. And the clicking of the inductor of course.
Well shoot.
Why in the world do both of mine buzz? Maybe turn your hearing aids up??

:lol: Just messin with ya.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:11 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:

Well shoot.

I honestly think it's just the luck of the draw with QC. I have Metaniums that are the same way. A couple of them will have a certain quirky thing that another one won't.
It is extremely frustrating when you are talking about the exact same model of reel purchase from the exact same place at the same time.
I've only used these two new ones on one afternoon outing but they will be put to the test hard this weekend.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:19 pm

AMMOGUY wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
AMMOGUY wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:

Well shoot.

Did you flush the spool bearings before use?

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:11 pm

I just took the 8 gear out for a couple hours tossing a frog around on the Expride 73xh. This reel puts a smile on my face and I'm almost mad that it does! Being Shimano for so long and all..... I need 2 more but nobody has lefties in stock!! ](*,)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:11 pm
I just took the 8 gear out for a couple hours tossing a frog around on the Expride 73xh. This reel puts a smile on my face and I'm almost mad that it does! Being Shimano for so long and all..... I need 2 more but nobody has lefties in stock!! ](*,)
NOICE...those HDs with the Shimanos Power Grip II knobs are Sex-say AF. 8-)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."