22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:43 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:30 am
You guys with the G model, what are you using for settings to get the best casting distance? So far after using it all day yesterday, I'm not impressed. The zero adjust came extremely loose from the factory with major side to side spool clack. I left it alone to start off with.
I was throwing a 1/4oz tungsten, 5/0 superline hook and a 12" gambler worm. There was very light breeze only. I had to have the barbers at 18 just to get a cast and it still would loop a little.
I adjusted the zero adjust basically all the way to where it doesn't want to naturally turn anymore. Even then the only way I could get it to not loop was to have the magnets on 10! This is very different from what I've been seeing others claim with their reels. Is this more of a heavier bait reel? All together my T-rig was at least a 1/2oz. It's definitely no Metanium! But.... I like everything else about it though.
Try that same bait on another reel to see if it handles it any better. I always get overruns with big ribbon tails and 1/4 oz sinker. I think it flops in the air like an axe on the cast. That bait always makes my spool overrun at the end of the cast. I switched to heavier sinkers with big ribbon tail worms because of this and use 1/4 oz with shorter worms. Also are you using a Zillon G or the HD?

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:43 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
You guys with the G model, what are you using for settings to get the best casting distance? So far after using it all day yesterday, I'm not impressed. The zero adjust came extremely loose from the factory with major side to side spool clack. I left it alone to start off with.
I was throwing a 1/4oz tungsten, 5/0 superline hook and a 12" gambler worm. There was very light breeze only. I had to have the barbers at 18 just to get a cast and it still would loop a little.
I adjusted the zero adjust basically all the way to where it doesn't want to naturally turn anymore. Even then the only way I could get it to not loop was to have the magnets on 10! This is very different from what I've been seeing others claim with their reels. Is this more of a heavier bait reel? All together my T-rig was at least a 1/2oz. It's definitely no Metanium! But.... I like everything else about it though.
Try that same bait on another reel to see if it handles it any better. I always get overruns with big ribbon tails and 1/4 oz sinker. I think it flops in the air like an axe on the cast. That bait always makes my spool overrun at the end of the cast. I switched to heavier sinkers with big ribbon tail worms because of this and use 1/4 oz with shorter worms. Also are you using a Zillon G or the HD?
I throw that same rig a lot here in FL on my Metanium 20 MGL with no issues and it bombs it. Both have 15lb fluorocarbon by the way. I'm talking about the G Zillion in this situation.

I did try this exact T-rig on the HD though and it bombs it just like the Metanium. And it had bigger 17lb fluoro on it.
Last edited by Dink Whisperer on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:18 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
“Zero adjust” is still just a normal CC knob. I’ve never found them to be consistent across the board from the steez svtw to current . I adjust them myself anyway. Adjust it for minimal spool side to side play and then just use the brakes. Also make sure there isnt excessive grease on the spool bearing. Both my Zillion Gs had to much on that new spacer below the pin. Both mine cast and skip light weight baits effortlessly.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 am
LowRange wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:
I throw that same rig a lot here in FL on my Metanium 20 MGL with no issues and it bombs it. Both have 15lb fluorocarbon by the way. I'm talking about the G Zillion in this situation.

I did try this and exact T-rig on the HD though and it bombs it just like the Metanium. And it had bigger 17lb fluoro on it.
Interesting finding.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:45 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:04 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:01 am
LowRange wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:

I did try this and exact T-rig on the HD though and it bombs it just like the Metanium. And it had bigger 17lb fluoro on it.
Interesting finding.
I'm wondering if the Mag Z boost on the HD version is more controlled and that's why it can cast farther.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Sounds like grease in the bearings...have you tried swapping the spools between your two Zillions and seeing what results you get?

Full disclosure, I am not sure where the Zillion G and Zillion HD have the same size spool.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:55 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:49 pm
Sounds like grease in the bearings...have you tried swapping the spools between your two Zillions and seeing what results you get?

Full disclosure, I am not sure where the Zillion G and Zillion HD have the same size spool.
I had to return my HD for issues but I have 2 on the way now so I will try that. But first I'll check the grease you guys are mentioning. I want to make it work since I really do like it!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Do you a different 34 mm spool to swap in?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:10 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:01 pm
Do you a different 34 mm spool to swap in?
No, I'm hardcore Shimano and only recently have gotten the itch to try new things. Daiwa is the only other brand that looked enticing to me. I just purchased an 18 Zillion HD for swimbaits but it's a wider spool. That's all the Daiwa I have so far.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:43 am

Fished the first HD and the G for a while yesterday afternoon. Haven't really played with the 2nd HD yet.

I had two Tat 100s rigged up, and the G and the HD. On similar rods with similar lures, neither cast as far, as easily as a plain old Tatula 100. Your guess is as good as mine as to why? The braking profile just seems more "choked", particularly on the HD. I really don't understand it, because I thought he "boost" spools were supposed to be the opposite. I do have to run the brake setting on the HD a good bit higher than normal to keep it under control.

The spool bearings in the HD are not smooth at all. Good bit of noise and vibration during the cast. The G is a little better, but still not what I would call "smooth" casting. Video of the HD and a regular Tat cast below. The HD is noticeably louder than the Tat in person. I guess I'll pull the bearings and clean/lube them and see if that helps, but for a reel of this price, I really want a quieter cast.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eVuHvCubfT4
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WdejViLG1hg

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:43 am
Fished the first HD and the G for a while yesterday afternoon. Haven't really played with the 2nd HD yet.

I had two Tat 100s rigged up, and the G and the HD. On similar rods with similar lures, neither cast as far, as easily as a plain old Tatula 100. Your guess is as good as mine as to why? The braking profile just seems more "choked", particularly on the HD. I really don't understand it, because I thought he "boost" spools were supposed to be the opposite. I do have to run the brake setting on the HD a good bit higher than normal to keep it under control.

The spool bearings in the HD are not smooth at all. Good bit of noise and vibration during the cast. The G is a little better, but still not what I would call "smooth" casting. Video of the HD and a regular Tat cast below. The HD is noticeably louder than the Tat in person. I guess I'll pull the bearings and clean/lube them and see if that helps, but for a reel of this price, I really want a quieter cast.
Ammoguy,

Your results are interesting. My Zillion 1000s flat out cast. My Zillion HD did seem more choked off until I changed my casting style. All of my life I’ve been a full send guy and figured out if I back the brakes off and let the rod do the work I got much better results. I run my 1000s on 6 for everything and my HD between 2-5 depending on baits I’m throwing. I found the HD spool to not be quite as good of a caster than the 1000s. I dropped a Zillion SV spool into it and dropped the HD spool into a Steez A. I haven’t thrown the Steez A since swapping spools. I haven’t flushed any bearings yet, all 100% out of the box. All of my zero adjusters on my made in Japan Zillions were 100% from the factory while my Zillion G needed a bit of tweaking to find the sweet spot. Im hoping you get yours figured out. I’m ready for some different color choices…mostly praying we get a Zillion with a throwback Ito paint job as a nod to the old TDZ. I believe Sagisi Customs did a Steez in the paint scheme.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 am

AMMOGUY wrote:

This was one of my concerns with the HD. The video Daiwa put out for the reel shows a lot of lob casts with heavier baits seemingly wanting to show the control the spool offers. There was no bomb casts shown other than one and it looked pretty normal. As long as it can skip then a heavier braking profile wouldn't be too bad for me as an all around reel otherwise it's HD use 3/4 oz and up reel but is line cap challenged.

I am going to get one and SV Boost or 103 R+ swap it and if the stock spool is too heavily braked I would swap it into my weak magnet old Steez. Those reels will wake up sleepy spools with their awful magnets. A member here put a Magforce Z Boost in an old steez and is floored with the casting distance.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 am
AMMOGUY wrote:

Ammoguy,

Your results are interesting. My Zillion 1000s flat out cast. My Zillion HD did seem more choked off until I changed my casting style. All of my life I’ve been a full send guy and figured out if I back the brakes off and let the rod do the work I got much better results. I run my 1000s on 6 for everything and my HD between 2-5 depending on baits I’m throwing. I found the HD spool to not be quite as good of a caster than the 1000s. I dropped a Zillion SV spool into it and dropped the HD spool into a Steez A. I haven’t thrown the Steez A since swapping spools. I haven’t flushed any bearings yet, all 100% out of the box. All of my zero adjusters on my made in Japan Zillions were 100% from the factory while my Zillion G needed a bit of tweaking to find the sweet spot. Im hoping you get yours figured out. I’m ready for some different color choices…mostly praying we get a Zillion with a throwback Ito paint job as a nod to the old TDZ. I believe Sagisi Customs did a Steez in the paint scheme.
How quiet are your HD's when you cast? That's my biggest gripe right now. My HD sounds like a cheap buzzy reel when I cast. I'm going to try to oil the bearings a little.

If I put this HD on 2-5 It's very wild (with 20lb Sniper). It would take a TON of thumb input to keep it under control, to the point that it would kill distance. I set it around 4 for pitching, but for casting a jig I have to run it up to 12-13 for it to start to feel manageable (which is higher than I'm used to). I have the spool tension set with just a tiny touch of spool wiggle, like all my Daiwas. I'm not a big "distance" guy, but being able to get a lure where you want it with as little effort as possible is nice.

The USDM G does feel more controlled. I'm hoping with some oil and use the distance opens up a little.

I'm going to keep playing with it, and we'll see how it goes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:57 am

Get the slinky off it. Try braid to see how it behaves. Maybe 20# Big Game if you really want a big clear plastic line. Maybe the braking profile doesn't like big plastic line? I never go above 16# sniper because the management is so bad on most my reels paired to H rods. Only my mag H and XXH get 20 BG and they all have slow fixed inductor big bait spools. Only my Z200 and Tatula 150 HD Custom with 153 spool get 65# for heavier baits because they are so fast. Fast spools and heavy flouro don't get along. Does the HD feel both too fast mid cast and too choked off at the end?

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:25 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:49 pm

That's how my G came in. Bearings packed. Corrected that. Been great ever since. Stuck it on a 7MF for chucking senkos, but switched off to a 1/15oz weighted 2/34" TRD Ned just for grins. Not ideal at all, but no problem overhead casting it 70 feet spooled with 15lb Tatsu. This would've been impossible when the bearings were packed.