Seems I've reach an impasse with reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Seems I've reach an impasse with reels

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm
Those old steez have super weak magnets. Same with the SS SV103/105. My 1010 and RC001 spools really wake up in those reels but others I have become unusable. How is the control on the old steez with the boost spool? Can you bomb it hard and not blow up on max dial settings?
I was casting and getting extreme distance
You know when you get a distance that unusual considering the effort of the cast. I bombed it a couple times and no backlash. My mag brake was at 5 so I’m sure at 4 I’d have to thumb it or it would backlash.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:05 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 pm
Some of you may disagree and some of you may not. I can only speak from my experiences and I would like to say that the Steez HLC is a great reel and its good and has some nice features but you want to know something thats special? I dropped a Z boost spool in my steez limited , the older model non tws. When I casted a sb it was just at that moment when I could not believe what I was witnessing. YOU can actually tell when the brake is stage one or two. Im casting 18lb sunline super fc sniper..

Listen to me very carefully, If I had used this spool earlier in this reel on the topgun rod, I have to say there's about a 85% chance that i would have not brought the HLC and instead bought another Z Boost spool. I am on the cusp of no control and bird nesting with an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeffortless cast and the distance is just dumb.
Honestly I want to put one in my sv103xs but im kinda not pleased with daiwa and the ccc on that reel. I just prefer the click.
That instant feedback is just every thing for me still..

If you have a steez limited and you want to unleash the unlimited, than give it a boost you won't regret it..
This thing is like an entirely new reel. I was casting 1/2 sb and cb. With the Steez HLC , imho you need to get to the big meats to really use the reel. Yes it will hammer a 1/2 sb or cb. they do the same thing just differently. Maybe its just the steez limited isn't tws? but sure cast like its a jaws ( jet wing system. ) lol..

I am intersted to know the findings of others who've used this new spool in older platforms...
This is that one reel you want someone else to cast just so you can see the smile on their face as they release it..
heck you may even give one away.. its just that good.
Muy excelente! Good info since I have a heavily modded and Ian tuned Steez Limited 105 SV which is already exceptional with a Megabass IS finesse spool in it, however it begs for more line capacity (using 20lb X9) since I can cast down to the connection knot with most 3/8 oz streamlined lures, and anytime with say a 3/8 Kastmaster.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:57 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm
LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm
Those old steez have super weak magnets. Same with the SS SV103/105. My 1010 and RC001 spools really wake up in those reels but others I have become unusable. How is the control on the old steez with the boost spool? Can you bomb it hard and not blow up on max dial settings?
I was casting and getting extreme distance
You know when you get a distance that unusual considering the effort of the cast. I bombed it a couple times and no backlash. My mag brake was at 5 so I’m sure at 4 I’d have to thumb it or it would backlash.
Is that the Zillion HD spool or the separately purchased Magforce Z Boost spool? If it is a separate spool how do the two compare?

I'm planning on getting a Zillion HD and then putting an SV spool in it for all around use including skipping. This would free up the stock Magforce Z Boost spool for other reels including 3 old Steez.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:16 am

Bump...any further updates on different Z Boost spools on older OG platforms?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:51 pm

I will give this a shot in the am
Sorry for the delay
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:49 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:51 pm
I will give this a shot in the am
Sorry for the delay
Thanks Jorrick.