Zillion HLC drag slipping

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion HLC drag slipping

Post by bassmaster_flex » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:23 am

The drag slips during hook sets and while fighting the fish. It has a Carbontex set and swapped to 8.1 gears. It’s smooth but lost a couple fish because it slipped on the hook set. Any ideas on how I can fix/improve the drag? It was cleaned/lubed when the Carbontex and new gears were installed. I run 50lb braid with mono backing. Much appreciated folks!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion HLC drag slipping

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:40 pm

Is it clamped all the way down and not supposed to slip? My drags slip all the time on hook set and while fighting fish because well, that’s how it’s set to protect the line from snapping.

If it *is* supposed to be clamped all the way down, the statement “it was cleaned and lubed” makes me wonder. The drag shouldn’t be greased or oiled AFAIK. I only ever do the gears, bearings and bushings.

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Correct. It’s clamped all the way down and slips. I can understand some slippage but it’s quite noticeable. I should specify, cleaned/lubed is the yearly cleaning I send it in for. Definitely not the workmanship cause my reel guy is awesome!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 pm

If you've been running it on a locked down drag all this time then it might be time for new spring washers. They flatten over time.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:46 pm

Is there any grease on the drag? If so theres your problem.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:20 pm

Something else to consider (if you trust your reel guy) is how the line is connected to the spool. Straight braid (without mono backing or a layer of electrical tape) will slip on the spool, especially in colder weather. That can feel like a slipping drag but it’s the entirety of the braid that’s actually slipping on the spool.

Edit: Never mind, the original posts says “with mono backing”. Then it might really be grease on the washers or the drag not being as clamped down as it could be. (I just got a new 22 Zillion HD - 13lbs drag like the HLC - and had to *really* tighten the drag star before it stopped slipping on frog hooksets.)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:49 pm

I just saw an article on how you should actually lightly grease your carbontex washers, btw. Now I’m firmly in the “what the hell do I know, don’t listen to me!” camp :)
Last edited by Drakestar on Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Try to run it dry.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:47 pm

Everybody makes mistakes. I've serviced literally thousands of reels, but I've also accidentally put the drag spring washers back like this: ((
instead of like this: ()
This will cause exactly what you're describing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:37 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:49 pm
I just saw an article on how you should actually lightly grease your carbontex washers, btw. Now I’m firmly in the “what the hell do I know, don’t listen to me!” camp :)
I service reels and have done countless carbontex conversions and grease every single carbontex washer and have not had this issue. Sounds like incorrect assembly of a part somewhere or the line slipping on the spool. Greasing carbontex will give you a smoother more consistent drag. Dry carbontex can still produce a jerky drag on occasions and will accelerate wear on the metal drag components especially if the metal is a alluminium alloy.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:22 pm

On HOT days I have to tighten down my drag throughout the day because the grease on my drag washers will loosen up a bit.