Ultimate Skipping Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ultimate Skipping Reel

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:34 pm

Help me craft the ultimate skipping reel to pair with my steez target sniper. I originally paired it with a JDM met B which I am not satisfied with. Everyone says the tatula SV is the best skipping reel but I don't want to pair up a budget reel with something as beautiful as the steez AGS. So I am probably looking at getting an SV spool and putting it into a different reel. However there are tons of different versions of the SV spool and I am not sure what combination of spool+reel will be the best skipping reel.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultimate Skipping Reel

Post by rando » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Even I can skip with the new zillion and new alphas so they must be pretty good at it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:02 pm

I like the Daiwa SV system for skipping. Basically choose your reel and fire away. Takes practice of course but, it comes easier.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:34 pm
Help me craft the ultimate skipping reel to pair with my steez target sniper. I originally paired it with a JDM met B which I am not satisfied with. Everyone says the tatula SV is the best skipping reel but I don't want to pair up a budget reel with something as beautiful as the steez AGS. So I am probably looking at getting an SV spool and putting it into a different reel. However there are tons of different versions of the SV spool and I am not sure what combination of spool+reel will be the best skipping reel.
Steez SV TW. SV spool in any Daiwa reel really. The Zillion SV TW is a great spool that skips well and is pretty free casting for an SV spool too. I would drop one of those a Steez TW even though the stock spool is sufficient for skipping. My main finesse skipping reel is an Alphas SV with stock SV spool on a Steez Skyray. I skip as light as 1/16 flick shakes on skinny finesse worms up to the 5" senko type baits on the upper end. Reel does great at skipping but is not the best distance caster. I'm told that the stock Steez TW SV spool is similar to the Alphas SV spool in behavior.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:26 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Steez SV TW. SV spool in any Daiwa reel really. The Zillion SV TW is a great spool that skips well and is pretty free casting for an SV spool too. I would drop one of those a Steez TW even though the stock spool is sufficient for skipping. My main finesse skipping reel is an Alphas SV with stock SV spool on a Steez Skyray. I skip as light as 1/16 flick shakes on skinny finesse worms up to the 5" senko type baits on the upper end. Reel does great at skipping but is not the best distance caster. I'm told that the stock Steez TW SV spool is similar to the Alphas SV spool in behavior.
When you say the zillion SV TW spool are you talking about the old zillion or the new one with the SV boost spool? I've heard that it doesn't skip as well as other SV spools. If so I might grab a steez A and a zillion and swap the spools and use the zillion with the magforce Z on my frog rod.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
I originally paired it with a JDM met B which I am not satisfied with.
Are you not satisfied with skipping capabilities or with the reel in general?
Shimano SLX DC, Scorpion DC can skip really good as well.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:37 pm

Cracker wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
I originally paired it with a JDM met B which I am not satisfied with.
Are you not satisfied with skipping capabilities or with the reel in general?
Shimano SLX DC, Scorpion DC can skip really good as well.
its a great reel just not ideal for its intended use which is a dedicated skipping combo the shimano reel on a daiwa rod also triggers my ocd. I plan on moving the met B over to my crankbait rod to replace my SLX.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:47 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:26 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
When you say the zillion SV TW spool are you talking about the old zillion or the new one with the SV boost spool? I've heard that it doesn't skip as well as other SV spools. If so I might grab a steez A and a zillion and swap the spools and use the zillion with the magforce Z on my frog rod.
The old one. Jury is still out on how skip friendly the new Zillion SV boost spool is. The last gen Zillion spool is a proven skipper and one of the better casting SV spools.

Also I would go Steez HLC for a frog rod but that's just me. I like to bomb vast bigger frogs over mossy weed beds and need the high line cap for 65# braid and like the distance tuned braking profile.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:40 am

That rod is relatively short and light. I think it deserves a Steez CT. The reel comes with a 30mm SV spool that starts quickly and is very controllable exactly what you want for skipping

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:21 am

I have a Steez SV TW on my target sniper. I could not be happier.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:42 pm

I know Doyos aren’t the most popular reels on here but, to me, the best value skippers out there are those with the Lews ACB system.

There’s a lot of adjustability in that system for setting up light and heavy baits for skipping without having to remove the side plate (looking at you Shimano).

And you can get that system for like $150 or even less in some cases.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:15 am

Centrifugal reels are horrible for skipping if you are horrible at skipping. SV is great at skipping if you are not great at skipping. Most mere mortals don't have the technique to make the perfect skip every cast and the technique to manage a fast and free spool as the bait skips and rapidly slows. The heavy braking profile of SV spools just make it easy. They do all the spool management for you. Just swing it out there and off your baits goes skipping across the water.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:53 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:15 am
Centrifugal reels are horrible for skipping if you are horrible at skipping. SV is great at skipping if you are not great at skipping.
I agree except when you try to enter the world of skipping light baits. Weightless yum dingers, flukes, shakey heads, light jigs, etc.

The light baits lose so much momentum and the magnetic brakes just kill them after only a couple skips. The centrifugal keeps the spool speed fast enough to let even light baits ‘run out’ for long skips.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:08 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:53 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:15 am
Centrifugal reels are horrible for skipping if you are horrible at skipping. SV is great at skipping if you are not great at skipping.
I agree except when you try to enter the world of skipping light baits. Weightless yum dingers, flukes, shakey heads, light jigs, etc.

The light baits lose so much momentum and the magnetic brakes just kill them after only a couple skips. The centrifugal keeps the spool speed fast enough to let even light baits ‘run out’ for long skips.
I find the opposite to be true. I can manage a heavier baits that skips well with a centrifugal reel but it's the really light and difficult finesse stuff that I find the SV spools do best. My dedicated finesse skipper for 1/16 oz flick shakes with 4.8" flicking shimmy worms, 1/10 oz ned rigs, bitsy bugs and up to a 5" senko is a ML rod with an Alphas SV. I give it a roll cast, fire off a bait low to tne water and off they go making many skips. Not super far like a 5" senko but I can send the small BPS flick shake thing as far underndocks as I care to. Maybe 10ft max from the 1st hit with 4ft to 7ft being most common. The actual Jackall flick shake worms skip a lot further but I have a local BPS I frequent and have caught a ton on that bait so I keep buying them.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:02 pm

I don’t have an alphas sv but have several new zillion sv tw.

I’ve tried every rod/line combination I can think of but cannot get the zillion to perform as good as other braking systems on light baits. And I’ve tried something similar to just about every bait you listed. That zillion just puts the brakes on low spool speeds. Even with the knob on like 2-3 setting.