Higher-end Tatula 200 Replacement

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Higher-end Tatula 200 Replacement

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:32 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:26 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:13 am
Back to the subject at hand, is a Tatula 300 considered higher end??? I would assume there are round reels that would fit the requirements. The Lexa has 9 bearings, not sure where, it is a full spool shaft with no dual pinion support, right?
I wouldn't say the Tat. 300 is high end it feels industrial for lack of better terms but in a good way, everything is big and stout.
It is without question the best 300 class reel I have used. The Drag is probably the best I have ever used on a baitcasting reel and it has held up perfectly. I caught a lot of King Salmon on mine last year and it's still as smooth and tight as new, I used to have to replace the gears in my Curado 300E every season... I have hardly used my modified original Lexa 300 after getting the Tat. 300, and it cast better as well.

Kurt
Kurt, how low will the Tat 300 cast effectively down to in weight? 3/8 or so?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:30 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:32 pm
Kurt L wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:26 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:13 am
Back to the subject at hand, is a Tatula 300 considered higher end??? I would assume there are round reels that would fit the requirements. The Lexa has 9 bearings, not sure where, it is a full spool shaft with no dual pinion support, right?
I wouldn't say the Tat. 300 is high end it feels industrial for lack of better terms but in a good way, everything is big and stout.
It is without question the best 300 class reel I have used. The Drag is probably the best I have ever used on a baitcasting reel and it has held up perfectly. I caught a lot of King Salmon on mine last year and it's still as smooth and tight as new, I used to have to replace the gears in my Curado 300E every season... I have hardly used my modified original Lexa 300 after getting the Tat. 300, and it cast better as well.

Kurt
Kurt, how low will the Tat 300 cast effectively down to in weight? 3/8 or so?
To be honest, the lightest lures I have thrown with it were probably 5/8-3/4 oz. and up, but it cast very well with those spooled up with 30lb J-Braid Grand.

Kurt

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:41 pm

Thanks Mango, appreciate your reply.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:09 am

I thought I was man enough for the Tat300 but it's massiveness was simply more than I could handle. For me it was beautiful, overbuilt, incredibly smooth, but just too heavy and really overkill. I felt like I was preparing to chase yellowtail with it.

I would love Daiwa if they made a low profile 200/250 sized, 8-9oz, free floating, #25/100yrd capacity spool.

I'm digging lighter swimbait rods (overall weight 190g-225g) that can cast 3-7oz baits. A lighter reel would be awesome to keep the combo light.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:45 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:09 am
I would love Daiwa if they made a low profile 200/250 sized, 8-9oz, free floating, #25/100yrd capacity spool.
It would be cool if they gave it an HLC spring and the some way of moving the magnets away or closer to the spool too. Wait, they did that: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaz200z2020.html

Aside from a used reel they could make a new higher end 200 reel using the original Tatula platform like they did with the last gen Zillion HD. That was a nice reel but the capacity was a bit challenged for as big as it was. Its still a good reel though. It has a faster fixed inductor spool. Faster than a Tatula 200 at least. The old Zillon HD is probably a good fit for most looking for a higher end Tatula 200 for 4oz baits and under with heavy flouro or mono.

They could also make a wide spool 36mm version of the current Zillion to give it old Zillion HD capacity in a more compact profile. I would like to see this happen. I liked the spool size of the wide spool Tatulas in 34 and 36 mm but they had huge bodies relative to the spool size. They were the 1st of their kind with the flipping Twing and are clunky. The new Zillion is the pinnacle of that evolution and it would be nice to see them expand the Zillion line to a wide spool 34mm short shaft Magforce Z Boost and wide spool 36mmm short shaft fixed inductor reels in the black HD line.

I doubt they'll do this because it seems like they are afraid of high capacity spools and long casts. Everything is SV it seems. No new Daiwa spools have any capacity. The current HD has as much capacity as finesse versions of other reels. They have forgotten they invented Magforce 3D.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:45 am
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
It would be cool if they gave it an HLC spring and the some way of moving the magnets away or closer to the spool too. Wait, they did that: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaz200z2020.html

Aside from a used reel they could make a new higher end 200 reel using the original Tatula platform like they did with the last gen Zillion HD. That was a nice reel but the capacity was a bit challenged for as big as it was. Its still a good reel though. It has a faster fixed inductor spool. Faster than a Tatula 200 at least. The old Zillon HD is probably a good fit for most looking for a higher end Tatula 200 for 4oz baits and under with heavy flouro or mono.

They could also make a wide spool 36mm version of the current Zillion to give it old Zillion HD capacity in a more compact profile. I would like to see this happen. I liked the spool size of the wide spool Tatulas in 34 and 36 mm but they had huge bodies relative to the spool size. They were the 1st of their kind with the flipping Twing and are clunky. The new Zillion is the pinnacle of that evolution and it would be nice to see them expand the Zillion line to a wide spool 34mm short shaft Magforce Z Boost and wide spool 36mmm short shaft fixed inductor reels in the black HD line.

I doubt they'll do this because it seems like they are afraid of high capacity spools and long casts. Everything is SV it seems. No new Daiwa spools have any capacity. The current HD has as much capacity as finesse versions of other reels. They have forgotten they invented Magforce 3D.
You mean like this...
IMG_20220314_45302.jpg
IMG_20220314_45302.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Only like I said, with actual line capacity for heavy flouro or mono. They could drop Mag3D and increase spool width.

While I love the Z2020 it lacks the ability to punch up without going to braid. This is #20 Abrazx and it doesn't hold much.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:45 am
RMCatchNrelease wrote:

You mean like this...
IMG_20220314_45302.jpg

Only like I said, with actual line capacity for heavy flouro or mono. They could drop Mag3D and increase spool width.

While I love the Z2020 it lacks the ability to punch up without going to braid. This is #20 Abrazx and it doesn't hold much.
The problem with the high cap Daiwas is they lose magforce Z. The Tatula 200 and 300/400 do this. They could maybe bump the spool diameter on a Z2020 like reel to a 43mm to gain a bit more capacity but keep the dynamic braking. I find that my Tatula 200 holds too much 20# mono for that is supposed to be a "200" reel. For the next step up above a Tatula 150 a deep 36mm wide spool makes sense but the 200 is very deep, loses magforce Z and has a very strong braking profile but people seem to like it. With the one I have I use a 153 Magforce Z spool with a stiffer spring swap to bomb baits near 1 oz like, 110 ploppers, Zoom frog ect on 65# braid then switch to the 200 spool 20# BG for bit baits in the 2-3 oz range then my Huyga 72H runs out of gas.

I think a deep SV spool like the Coastal 150 applied to the 36mm Tatula 200 platform would make for a nicer 200 spool just to get a non linear braking profile high line cap Tatula. The Air Brake is a pretty compact mechanism. For a higher end 200 reel they really should make a new wide spool version of the new Zillions but even then you aren't going to get 100 yards to 25# mono. Even if we just matched the last Zilllon HD in line cap that's a 14/110 reel.

I personally would like to expand the HD lineup across mutile price tiers and platforms. Something like

Bottom tier:

Fuego 200 HD (already exists in the Scandinavian market)

Low tier:

Tatula 100 HD (add aluminum side plates from the 150/200 to the Tatula CT because they bolt on. And black paint with long handle)

Mid tier:

Tatula 150 HD HLC (stiff spring 150/original tatula HLC recycle maybe and use the 36mm version)
Tatula 200 SV (deep spool 36mm SV spool of similar construction to the Coastal 150 SV but ultimately less capacity than the regular 200)

*all the above reels use the same platforms and 90% the same parts and come off the same production lines. The original Tatula in 34/36 mm and the 34mm narrow spool CT variant of that original platform.

High tier:

Zillion HD 1000 but in a deep 34 spool with normal 34mm spool cap instead of this shallow thing with just wrong listed capacity. No way the 22 HD holds what it says it does. [-(

Zillion HD 1500? In a wide spool variant of this platform offering 14/150 or greater capacity and a dynamic brake. Doesn't have to take "1516" spools but its nice to have that ability to make use of existing spools. Just make a properly deep 1516 for once Daiwa and stop making them shallow 100 capacity spools like you did with the Catalina TW, Zillion TWS, Zillion TWS HLCs and HRF Sonic Speed. My narrow 34mm Fuego CT spools holds a tad MORE line than my 36mm wide spool Catalina TW spool. :doh:

Zillon HD 2000. Some sort of deep fixed inductor version of this new hypothetical platform offering a 14/200 but still a faster and lighter spool than the Tatula 200 which holds a bit more than 14/200. The old Zillion HD spool is a nice performer for a fixed inductor with big mono but shallow. Just make that one a bit deeper.

I would also like to see them push the envelope with a new high line capacity flagship like they did with the Z. Make some new reel on its own platform with a price to match that makes use of:

Biggest spool in the smallest form factor. This is something they have been doing since the Steez TW SV and appears to have peaked with how tiny the new Zillion is. With Twings reels don't need to be long to have good angles on the level wind or narrow spooled. You invented the damn thing back in 2013 or so and only now do we get compact reels to make use of it? Better late then never. I'm talking a 38 to 40mm wide spool bigger than the Z2020 but in a form factor of a taller Tatula 100. Think of something that palms like a TD Zillion but has way more capacity.

Braking tech. Bring back Magforce 3D to the reel and add Boost to the spool or .ybe invent some cool new thing like finding a way to offer a non linear brake in deep spool that does require a large spool ID to function.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:29 am

Hell, they could just have another go at the Z with TWS and a more compact shape using the same brake and spool. They have already come full circle with their design logic using hidden screws and top plate with their newest Zillion platform. I guess the Z was that far ahead of its time. Still has the most advanced brake ever fitted to Daiwa.