Has everyone forgot the Shimano Chronarch is even a thing?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Has everyone forgot the Shimano Chronarch is even a thing?

Post by a1712 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:16 am

I use 6 of the 150G's in my Florida Kit, 2-XG's, 4-HG's. I have found nothing better in my 30+ years for the fishing I do there. Spool capacity is good for big Flouro, Copoly and Braid, plus they flatout cast a mile. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:42 pm

a1712 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:16 am
I use 6 of the 150G's in my Florida Kit, 2-XG's, 4-HG's. I have found nothing better in my 30+ years for the fishing I do there. Spool capacity is good for big Flouro, Copoly and Braid, plus they flatout cast a mile. Brian.
Maybe you should try the new zillion 8-)

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:07 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:35 pm
One reel I definitely regret selling was the Chronarch D. Especially after it passed through Ian's hands.
I still have 5 and will never let them go!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:14 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:07 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:35 pm
One reel I definitely regret selling was the Chronarch D. Especially after it passed through Ian's hands.
I still have 5 and will never let them go!
Awesome, I don't blame you 👍

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:50 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:42 pm
a1712 wrote:
Maybe you should try the new zillion 8-)
Have 2-JDM Zillions on 7'3" Kage All Arounds. One spooled with 12lb. Samurai Fluoro the other with 12lb. Izorline XXX. They're my "mess around on the bank" setups. Haven't used them yet, hopefully they do all right. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:32 am

a1712 wrote:
I've got a 151hg i use for inshore fishing here in Louisiana and love it. Handles everything I throw on it, great smooth retrieve (though not on the level of the new zillion), and is just fun to fish with. So far holding up far better to the inshore environment than my Daiwa Coastal sv as well.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:22 am

Never a bad word about the ci4+ and MGL here. They were comfortable to fish for me, casted well, handled fish well, and paired up very well with a Shimano cumulus and ALX zolo deputy.

That being said, the point about enthusiasts jumping straight to the new met or even aldebaran is well taken. Those two are superior reels, and when maybe you don’t want to blow a ton of cash on a setup, current curados, SLXs, and older Shimano 50 or E frame reels are more than up to the job. Still - had I not tried out a chronarch, would I have made the jump to aldebarans and Mets? Probably not. It was definitely a gateway to high end stuff here. Curious as to how many others feel that way…
Luca :)

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:21 am

To answer the OP's title question, Yes. The chronarch is forgotton because it's a plastic reel in that mid range price category and folks just want metal. plain and simple. No matter how you try to market the plastic by calling it Ci4+, it's still plastic/carbon and perceived as being cheap. Not to say it's a bad reel, but if it was an aluminum frame they would definitely be a contender and a lot more desirable.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:55 am

Not sure if I had mentioned it earlier, a friend of mine who has an actual bass boat (higher price range for tournament fishing) and much more wealthy than myself used the Ci4+ Chronarch extensively. Last time I fished with him he had moved the reel from lighter finesse duties to an extra heavy rod with 20lb fluoro. No idea why he did this, was even throwing A-rigs with it. The poor Chronarch was beaten to hell, rash all over, but still actually felt up to the task and was fairly smooth. This was an extreme case of abuse and something I could never do with a reel, but for show of the reel's toughness it was a pretty good demonstration.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:26 am

Chronarch is always a cheaper Metanium in specs and performance. And now since the Metanium has been updated, the Chronarch just seems to be a forgotten thing. Still a notch above the Curado, but that's all.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jigheadworm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jigheadworm » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:11 am

After getting a Curado 150mgl i would put the Chronarch a notch below it personally.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:21 am

jigheadworm wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:11 am
After getting a Curado 150mgl i would put the Chronarch a notch below it personally.
It has the newer 6 pin brake design, right? I never used more than 2 brakes on my Chronarch, was curious if anyone ever would use all 6...

jigheadworm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jigheadworm » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:39 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:21 am
jigheadworm wrote:
It has the newer 6 pin brake design, right? I never used more than 2 brakes on my Chronarch, was curious if anyone ever would use all 6...
Yep sure does i left it 3on 3off.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
jigheadworm wrote:
I just got a couple in and you almost have to leave 4 brakes on otherwise the line gets a little too squirrely for me. The Reel Test did a video that's on YouTube that demonstrates the casting performance.

With just the limited time I have with it--I can easily say it's a fantastic reel for pitching and casting. Thing flat out bombs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:15 am

godshippy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:54 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
jigheadworm wrote:
I just got a couple in and you almost have to leave 4 brakes on otherwise the line gets a little too squirrely for me. The Reel Test did a video that's on YouTube that demonstrates the casting performance.

With just the limited time I have with it--I can easily say it's a fantastic reel for pitching and casting. Thing flat out bombs.
Yeah I checked it out. I still watch Booty's stuff, but it is like a car channel that bases everything on 1/4 mile times. Those stats matter, but don't dictate everything. Many people would trade though extra few yards of casting distance for control, usability, and even reliability. I don't know the guy and don't comment much after he snapped and threatened me.