Curado 150 MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado 150 MGL

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:15 pm

So I just received my 7:1 Curado 150 MGL and it feels pretty rough...the handle doesn't turn very easily...I don't know--I've never experienced this with Shimanos before. I have a NIB Citica 200E that sat in a box for YEARS and it's smooth and spins freely right out of the box.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado 150 MGL

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Return return return. Probably a crunchy pinion support bearing.

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm

I got mine a few months back, but my experience was exactly the opposite, very smooth. Maybe you got a lemon

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys--back to the store it goes.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:26 am

That's a bummer! I'd love to see a vid of this and hear the noise.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am

You know...I think it just needed some time to break in. I just kept messing with it and reeling it and tightening and loosening the cast control.

I ended up spooling it up with some cheap mono and started casting a practice plug and my god...this thing is unlike anything that I've casted. It started to get smoother as I kept making pitches and roll casts. I'll probably give it a good day of fishing to see how it goes.

Also, I think I'm just not used to the MGL spool. It's really thin, lightweight, and ported. It makes a different kind of scraping noise when you reel when there is no line on the spool. That sound gets dampened when you put line on, and you don't really notice it while pitching around.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:09 am

godshippy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am
You know...I think it just needed some time to break in. I just kept messing with it and reeling it and tightening and loosening the cast control.

I ended up spooling it up with some cheap mono and started casting a practice plug and my god...this thing is unlike anything that I've casted. It started to get smoother as I kept making pitches and roll casts. I'll probably give it a good day of fishing to see how it goes.

Also, I think I'm just not used to the MGL spool. It's really thin, lightweight, and ported. It makes a different kind of scraping noise when you reel when there is no line on the spool. That sound gets dampened when you put line on, and you don't really notice it while pitching around.
I have only had one MGL reel, the Chronarch MGL and what you are describing should not be happening. Send it back, before something major goes wrong and they try and blame you. After my recent TV blew up I am furious with some companies and try to protect myself. Shimano is a good company, lemons do happen, just try and swap for a better one because what you are describing should not be present in any new reel. Not sure where you bought it but good luck.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 am

godshippy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am

Depending on the store you got it from I would get a fish or two on it then decide. Some places have up to a 60 day return policy with the original receipt and you can get an exchange or refund. The 150 MGL is a superb caster, runs right with the metanium MGL. The met is smoother and more refined but I expect it to be for the price. At the 200 price point the curado is great, but I expect it to be smooth at the 200 price point as well. If yours doesn't smoothen out I'd swap it for one that is or get ahold of shimano to get it right.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:12 pm

I called them up and I'm getting a replacement sent. Hopefully, it arrives soon!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:10 am

godshippy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:12 pm
I called them up and I'm getting a replacement sent. Hopefully, it arrives soon!
If you do not mind, where did you get it from? Seems like they had great customer service for an issue that wasn't technically even their own fault...

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:19 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:10 am
godshippy wrote:
If you do not mind, where did you get it from? Seems like they had great customer service for an issue that wasn't technically even their own fault...
Maybe Tackle Warehouse? I got a 150 MGL from there, I noticed the one of the brakes wasn’t perfect. It was slightly deformed, not in a way that would effect function but it still bothered me. I called them and they told me to send it back and they sent me a new one. It came with a return shipping label too so all I had to do was put it back in the box it came in and slap the sticker on.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:52 am

zpelletier wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:19 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:10 am
godshippy wrote:
Maybe Tackle Warehouse? I got a 150 MGL from there, I noticed the one of the brakes wasn’t perfect. It was slightly deformed, not in a way that would effect function but it still bothered me. I called them and they told me to send it back and they sent me a new one. It came with a return shipping label too so all I had to do was put it back in the box it came in and slap the sticker on.
Tackle Warehouse has always been great, I had a box get crushed bad during shipping, had weights spilled all over and was missing a few items, they just asked what was missing and sent it to me. Very good, quick, friendly customer service.