Daiwa 20 luvias

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
PAsmallies45
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa 20 luvias

Post by PAsmallies45 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am

Hi guys this is my first post. So glad to be a part of such a wonderful community. I was wondering if anyone knows if the daiwa 20 luvias 4000 has carbon drag washers from the factory. Also maybe what other reels do also. TIA.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa 20 luvias

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 pm

PAsmallies45 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am
Hi guys this is my first post. So glad to be a part of such a wonderful community. I was wondering if anyone knows if the daiwa 20 luvias 4000 has carbon drag washers from the factory. Also maybe what other reels do also. TIA.
First off, welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us.😎
I cant answer 100%, because I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 pm

PAsmallies45 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am
I think the Stradics are that way. Maybe some start using carbon at 5000 size. I know all models of some Abu spinners use carbon, all sizes. I wish I could help more, just have to google hard and check YouTube. There will be more helpful people on here who see the post and give some great info...

PAsmallies45
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by PAsmallies45 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Thank you. I saw copycat site on YouTube tear apart a 3000 saltist and it had carbon washers. But that was made for salt water. Maybe I could call daiwa? I know some one will chime in soon with expert advice.😁

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:06 pm

They have high quality felt washers and the drags are amazing just like the Certate's, for what it's worth I switched several of my Ci4+ and Sustain's over to Carbon Tex, and within the first year reinstalled the felt washers. I tried a number of high quality grease's with them but the Carbon washers did not perform as well as the felt. I'm a Salmon fisherman from Alaska so my drags get well used :D

Kurt

PAsmallies45
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by PAsmallies45 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 pm

Today I replaced 5 reels with carbon washers. 2-vanford 2500,
1-stradicFL 2500, 1-ballistic LT 2500, 1-kage LT 2500. All of them had deteriorated felt inside the spool and wrapped around the spool shaft underneath the spool. Shimano’s definitely have thinner felt and suffered more deterioration than the daiwa’s literally falling apart in my fingers. All daiwa’s felt washers were substantial and wouldn’t come apart even after trying to pull them apart. Definitely a better product and overall making a better drag system IMO.With daiwa’s ATD drag systems(from what I have read) it’s the grease they use that makes the drag system work so well and that was evident after taking them apart. I am glad I put carbon in all of them, seems to me carbon will hold up much longer. So for the 20 Luvias 4000c it also has the ATD system with felt washers. It is from eBay and from the jdm market cause I was able to get sizes and different gear ratio’s then what is sold from daiwa for the US. Anywho, I’m gonna fish it this season(hasn’t seen any fishing time yet) and see how it holds up.
I haven’t been able to find any carbon for it yet. The season will determine if they get replaced with carbon or not.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:00 pm

I made the mistake of "upgrading" a few freshwater spinners years ago to carbontex - went back to felt after 1 trip.

Carbon just isn't nearly as smooth at low drag pressures, it'll run then catch and that's bad news for light line applications.

The Luvias Airity/Certate/Exist have the smoothest drags I've ever experienced in spinning reels. I wouldn't mess with it one bit...and as you saw w/e grease Daiwa uses cannot be replaced by anything else. Drag washers in spinning reels are wear items - replace once every year or 2 if you care about that stock smooth drag quality.

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 am

FYI Daiwa has discontinued the 20 Luvias in the US Market. Glad I got my 2000D while I could find one.

PAsmallies45
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by PAsmallies45 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:28 am

You can still get them from the Jdm on eBay and various sites.