Cerakote Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cerakote Reels

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:48 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am
SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 pm
That doesn’t surprise me in the least. Just a basic AR upper/lower/handguard is $150 locally by a reputable shop. Those are very NOT intricate compared to reels. I’ll ask the next time I’m in there, what their thoughts on a reel are.
Its tough to take on work that requires so much attention to detail when you have overhead to cover without billing your time correctly. Say for example a disassembled upper/lower/handguard, although it uses more material then say a reel, we can have it prepped and in the oven curing in less than a hour. For the past year I closed my books for camo/custom patterns for the same reason. Its great to showcase that you can do that type of work but its not what keeps the doors open imo.
Oh absolutely! I should have explained better! That was my whole point👍

Oh no no I knew exactly what you were getting at but just wanted to elaborate. Are you sure I’m not your cerakote guy? Haha. Name sounds familiar.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:43 am

I don’t think so, I’m in Metro Detroit. You’re work is awesome, though! If my local guy went out of business, I’d ship things to you👍

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:53 am

Pretty big difference. Thanks for the comparison.

Have you ever tried the KG Gunkote? How does it compare to the 2k and the MC-160 clear? @SAGISI CUST0MS
I saw a few folks suggesting it over cerakote when working with pigments.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:20 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:43 am
I don’t think so, I’m in Metro Detroit. You’re work is awesome, though! If my local guy went out of business, I’d ship things to you👍
I'm in the area, who do you have paint your reels?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:36 am

I haven’t had reels painted, I doubt it would be worth the cost. I’ve only had AR’s Cerakoted at Odin’s Work Shop in Keego Harbor. I am going to ask them when I take an AR set in next time. I’ll let you know what they say!

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:51 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:36 am
I haven’t had reels painted, I doubt it would be worth the cost. I’ve only had AR’s Cerakoted at Odin’s Work Shop in Keego Harbor. I am going to ask them when I take an AR set in next time. I’ll let you know what they say!
Thanks brother, much appreciated.