New curado 150 mgl

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New curado 150 mgl

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:31 am

Has anyone used the new curado 150 mgl and thoughts? I'm thinking about one for my catterbait/swim jig rod or possibly the zillion 1000 g. If anyone has used both I'm wondering if the curado profile is smaller than the new zillion? Thanks

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New curado 150 mgl

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:39 am

Pretty certain the Zillion is smaller.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:06 am

I don't have both, but the zillion is guaranteed to be much better in every way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah I would consider the Zillion in a different bracket. I have only used the JDM version but the USDM version is supposed to be par or even better with brass gears. This reel is ridiculously smooth. Makes other reels I considered smooth just average. This being said, I have considered the new 150 MGL for a cranking rod. I know it has 2 extra brake shoes as opposed to the regular 4, so it should offer finer tuning. I also think the 150mgl has a 32mm spool so it should work well with lighter lures. I think both reels would be great, if you value an easier fool proof brake system, take the Daiwa. If you want to save some $, the Shimano should fill that void well too. To me, the extra hundred bucks or so (assuming you get a deal on the Zillion) is for sure worth it.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:34 pm

I have the new Zillion SV TW G--and it is on another level. My main reels are Chronarch 100D7s, and this Zillion is way above. I can't believe how smooth it is. I put a 100mm Daiwa power handle with the big foam knobs on mine and it's FANTASTIC.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:10 am

godshippy wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:34 pm
I have the new Zillion SV TW G--and it is on another level. My main reels are Chronarch 100D7s, and this Zillion is way above. I can't believe how smooth it is. I put a 100mm Daiwa power handle with the big foam knobs on mine and it's FANTASTIC.
Yeah it has been hard for me to decide on another reel. I am currently waiting for a Steez A (if it can be fixed or not) and might sell it to add another Zillion G. I wanted to differentiate by trying the Alphas or a Metanium, but it would be very hard to not just own another new Zillion...

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:37 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:10 am
godshippy wrote:
Yeah it has been hard for me to decide on another reel. I am currently waiting for a Steez A (if it can be fixed or not) and might sell it to add another Zillion G. I wanted to differentiate by trying the Alphas or a Metanium, but it would be very hard to not just own another new Zillion...
The alpha or metanium are both good reels. The metanium is alot similiar to the zillion and the alpha is as smooth as the zillion but its a smaller reel. I like how the alpha palms more than the zillion and metanium. You should try to pick up both down the road :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:43 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:37 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
godshippy wrote:
The alpha or metanium are both good reels. The metanium is alot similiar to the zillion and the alpha is as smooth as the zillion but its a smaller reel. I like how the alpha palms more than the zillion and metanium. You should try to pick up both down the road :lol:
I will gladly! We are expecting our first child in December though, and I still work a subpar job at the moment. If I can get my college restarted or find a better job, I will definitely improve my equipment. Need to look into a new boat motor or boat altogether along with a vehicle. I tow a boat with a Grand Marquis right now...

zpelletier
Angler
Angler

Post by zpelletier » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:42 pm

I just took my Curado 150 MGL out for the first time yesterday, it’s awesome. Super smooth and palms really well. But it’s $200 and a Zillion is $350, so I wouldn’t really consider them comparable.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:43 am
Jbc88 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
godshippy wrote:
I will gladly! We are expecting our first child in December though, and I still work a subpar job at the moment. If I can get my college restarted or find a better job, I will definitely improve my equipment. Need to look into a new boat motor or boat altogether along with a vehicle. I tow a boat with a Grand Marquis right now...
Congrats on expecting your first child. I'd suggest you don't make any big financial decisions until after the baby is born, and you've had a chance to see how things shake out.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:40 am

I already have the alphas sv tw. I am a shimano fanboy with a few daiwas. I read a few reviews of the curado 150mgl and they got me a little excited lol. I want to go with the smaller profiled reel of the 2

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:35 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:43 am
Jbc88 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
godshippy wrote:
Congrats on expecting your first child. I'd suggest you don't make any big financial decisions until after the baby is born, and you've had a chance to see how things shake out.
I don't plan to, a bit of equipment here and there never hurts, but I will have to wait until I find a better job to purchase anything major. CNA's just don't make enough. Wish I could find a job in the fishing industry.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:29 am

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CNA?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:15 am

Tackle Warehouse is stocked up on right hand versions , right now .if anybody is interested.