Bail touching reel spool issue

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bail touching reel spool issue

Post by smalljaw » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:22 am

I have the exact same reel and it has to be something inside. When I look at the first two pictures I see what is causing the issue but I don't know exactly where the problem is. What I see is your spool is way higher on the shaft that what mine is. On my reel when the spool is at the highest point you can only see a small portion of the rotor cut out. On your reel you can see the entire cut out so your bail isn't bent, something not right with the spool or spool shaft. So before you ruin your bail by trying to bend it into a round shape have someone look at the spool and spool shaft. There may be something broken inside that isn't letting to spool shaft all the way down or something in the spool itself is broken that is keeping it from seating properly.
Barlow's Tackle

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:09 am

I just looked at the schematic vs what you have on the shaft. I am almost positive that you have those parts where the spool seats on the shaft in the wrong order. From what I see, the round cup with the wishbone spring that clicks is supposed to be first, then all the other stuff goes on top of it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:40 am

I have an old Diawa reel where the bail touches the spool lip at it's max and the handle touches the rotor on occasion. However this is more from use. I just think the the clearance space for use just isn't much and that's that.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 pm

The bail is very close to the top of spool on my Kage LT as well. If I have my drag set, it will never touch the top of spool. I have fish the reel for years and never have any problem. I have heard complaining about accidentally hitting the drag when open/close the bail.
BTW I can spin the rotor when the bail is not opened all the way, I think it is normal since Daiwa doesn’t use friction ring like Shimano.
Attachments
5FBE43AC-60CE-4B30-9883-70DB1D7F3A6A.jpeg
5FBE43AC-60CE-4B30-9883-70DB1D7F3A6A.jpeg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1200 times