Spare spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spare spool

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Do you all carry a spare spool for any of your reels? I have an Aldebaran MG I am running 10lb CX on, but for finessey techniques, I want to carry 10lb Invizx as well. How do you all carry your spools?
Andy

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spare spool

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Yes. I always bring a spare Daiwa 34mm spool with me. The majority of my reels accommodate it, and there are several options. I store it in a spool case or medication bottle, lined with bubble wrap.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm

As Mark said, a pill bottle works great. Just wrap it in felt or bubble wrap.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
As Mark said, a pill bottle works great. Just wrap it in felt or bubble wrap.
Or cotton balls too.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:25 pm

The twist style spool cases are great for one. A pill bottle works great too.

Being that I have over a dozen 34mm. A tackle box with hot glued in foam holds more. I will bring an assortment at times. If I'm skipping docks or having to make tough cast, I'll bring backups to swap out a blowup...not that that ever happens of course. :big grin:

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:57 pm

Awesome, thank you for the ideas. I just have to see if we have a pill bottle in a size that will work. Thanks a bunch guys.
Andy

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:35 pm

You can get the twist style spool cases cheap on ebay and aliexpress. Some US sellers of cases for optics sell similar style cases, which work great. If you buy spools on aliexpress some sellers will supply you with extra caeses as a gift (if you ask :-)). I fish streams, walk many miles, and normally bring 1 rod, 1 reel and 1-2 extra spools in twist style cases.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:23 am

Most pharmacies will sell or give you a larger diameter pill bottle, then cut some craft foam circles to fit down in there...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 am

I keep a spare Daiwa 34mm loaded with 40lb braid in my car at all times, it covers a lot of my reels and has come in handy twice now in like 4 years. When I am out with one of my Pixies I bring a spare spool full of 6lb mono along, sadly that one comes in handy a lot more often. ;)

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 pm

I have spare spools for most of my baitcasters. As a bank angler it's helpful to be able to have a reel that can cast finesse and regular baits.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:23 am

Daiwa spool is easy to find a bottle that fit unlike shimano spool with shaft. Another option is empty jar of powerbait. I do have extra spool for a lot of my reel(mostly shallow), but I don’t normally carry them. I’d rather have two setups one MH/F for general and M/F or ML/F for finesse. I use Yumeya shallow spool with 6lb copolymer line or 10-15lb braid for finesse (might be another good option if you plan to buy spare spool).

BTW I’m also searching for those twisted spool case for both spinning and casting (the one that come when order from Japan/Alixpress) if anyone wanna share a line here.