Certate LT weak bail issue?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Certate LT weak bail issue?

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 am

Do any of you guys that own a Certate LT find that the bail close mechanism is on the weak side? I have two of the 2500s and one of mine doesn’t even close all the way sometimes. I always close by hand but these reels just don’t shut with that usual thump like other reels. I’ve tried emailing Daiwa twice now and I still have not received any replies.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Certate LT weak bail issue?

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 am

It could be a weak bail spring causing the issue, or some debris between the rotor and bail arm. I’ve not seen any issues come past my bench yet. If you want to send it in, we can get it covered as a warranty repair for you.

Thanks, Bryan
Tackle Trap

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 pm

My 2500 Certate snaps shut well, you might have a bent bail arm or crud in the bail arm mechanism?

Kurt

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 pm
My 2500 Certate snaps shut well, you might have a bent bail arm or crud in the bail arm mechanism?
So does mine, works flawlessly and has from the beginning...

Daiwa is still operating on a skeleton crew due to draconian restrictions in place out in the peoples republic so cut them a little slack :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm

The only thing I've seen with mine is that the bail won't open properly in one certain position. It's perfect 99% of the way around, but that one location it won't engage. It's really weird. Aside from that, it works flawlessly and closes without fail.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 pm

tywithay wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm
The only thing I've seen with mine is that the bail won't open properly in one certain position. It's perfect 99% of the way around, but that one location it won't engage. It's really weird. Aside from that, it works flawlessly and closes without fail.
That's the trip ramp it's working against.

The downside to Daiwa's air bail design is the inability to reshape it and ensure a neat fit between the bail legs against the rotor posts - whereas shimano's solid bail wires you can really get the shape / massage out the shape needed for it to be tight fitting without the scrubbing of associated parts.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:40 am

Undo the non-line roller side of the bail and see where it springs to. I bet you've got a slightly bent bail wire and it just needs a little bend to get it sitting right, then the bail will close properly.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am

Guys I’ve had this problem right out of the box. So it can’t be crud build up or bent bail wires. Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep trying Daiwa since it sounds like a defect.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 am

MaxZmus wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am
Guys I’ve had this problem right out of the box. So it can’t be crud build up or bent bail wires. Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep trying Daiwa since it sounds like a defect.
If you wish to continue trying Daiwa, that’s totally up to you. As an authorized warranty center, we can fix it or get it replaced quickly and easily for you.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am

I’d send it to The Tackle Trap all day, and twice on Sunday. I’ve come to the conclusion for me, that all my future USDM Daiwa reels will be bought through them, and the only way I’m buying a Daiwa not through them, is for JDM models.