Daiwa SS SV G1 spool vs. Daiwa Zillion SV TW G1 Spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa SS SV G1 spool vs. Daiwa Zillion SV TW G1 Spool

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Any major differences between these spools? Pros/cons? How do they react with Magforce V and Z in the older Steez platform?

I’m going to get a Zillion G1 spool but noticed there’s also an SS SV spool and was curious about any major differences. Tried searching on here but there were too many results so it limited them. But generally there seems to be so many parts swap options.

And I know it goes without saying, please go to Gary at Tackle Trap for your Daiwa needs!! He is more than helpful with questions and will make sure you get going in the right direction. But we all know this, right? :)
Last edited by MediumHeavy on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV G1 spool vs. Daiwa Zillion SV TW G1 Spool

Post by iabass8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm

The zillion sv spool is great...really great all around spool.

the ss sv spool, in stock form, isn't anything to right home about. if you swap the spring to a Type r+ spring and the indcuctor to the sv105 inductor, it really transforms the spool. i'm sure you could put the zillion inductor on it as well but i haven't tried/heard about it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:15 pm

People take SS SV spools OUT of their reels. They don't put them in other reels very often let alone purchase one. Maybe as a gag gift.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:14 pm

The SS SV spool might actually be the better option for an OG Steez. It has a larger inductor on it if memory serves correct. The Zillion SV TW and Steez SV TW spools are too fast for my liking in a non SV Steez. It barrels down to magnetic polarity and inductor size to make a good match. If you're after speed, the Zillion spool will be the better choice. If you want control, go for the SS SV spool. It shouldn't be over braked as it is in the SS SV. I remember reading someone using it in their TDZ. I'd recommend swapping the spring out regardless. I'd also replace the inductor base with the newer version, sold at the Tackletrap - or just send it to Bryan to do the work.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:14 pm
The SS SV spool might actually be the better option for an OG Steez. It has a larger inductor on it if memory serves correct. The Zillion SV TW and Steez SV TW spools are too fast for my liking in a non SV Steez. It barrels down to magnetic polarity and inductor size to make a good match. If you're after speed, the Zillion spool will be the better choice. If you want control, go for the SS SV spool. It shouldn't be over braked as it is in the SS SV. I remember reading someone using it in their TDZ. I'd recommend swapping the spring out regardless. I'd also replace the inductor base with the newer version, sold at the Tackletrap - or just send it to Bryan to do the work.
The Zillion SV and Steez SV spools are 1016 correct? I've found that 1016 spools are too fast in 103 Steez reels. If an SS SV spool is overbraked in an SS SV 103 then I would imagine it would behave the same in a Steez 103.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
The Zillion SV and Steez SV spools are 1016 correct? I've found that 1016 spools are too fast in 103 Steez reels. If an SS SV spool is overbraked in an SS SV 103 then I would imagine it would behave the same in a Steez 103.
Size (1016) is irrelevant. The SS SV has much stronger magnets in the side plate than an original Steez. It won't be the same.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Size (1016) is irrelevant. The SS SV has much stronger magnets in the side plate than an original Steez. It won't be the same.
The magnets in both my SS SV 103 and 105 are considerably weaker than my IS73 magnets and identical to the magnets in my Steez LTD. Nothing about them indicates that they are anything other than standard Steez magnets. Where did you hear that they are stronger than other Steez magnets?

I have a number of 1016 sized spools and they are much faster in my old 103 reels than they are in the 1016 reels. Its like the magnets are too far away from the inductor when a 1016 spool is in a 103 reel.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 am

Appreciate the input, fellas. Not sure I want to go down the spool modification wormhole, but I do know the R+ spool in the Steez 103 is a little too unruly and inconsistent for me. I’m an average or maybe slightly above average caster and it seems I’ve gotten too used to the Tatula SV platform the past few years. But when the 103 is dialed in it’s awesome, for sure. Probably gonna try the Zillion G1 SV spool in it at some point.

But really I should just invest in a current Steez SV TW or CT SV. The options and mods available for these OG Steez are great, but overwhelming :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:56 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 am
Appreciate the input, fellas. Not sure I want to go down the spool modification wormhole, but I do know the R+ spool in the Steez 103 is a little too unruly and inconsistent for me. I’m an average or maybe slightly above average caster and it seems I’ve gotten too used to the Tatula SV platform the past few years. But when the 103 is dialed in it’s awesome, for sure. Probably gonna try the Zillion G1 SV spool in it at some point.

But really I should just invest in a current Steez SV TW or CT SV. The options and mods available for these OG Steez are great, but overwhelming :lol:
The $56 Amo spools are good in the 103 reels.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:25 pm

SV spool just fine in a Steez.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am

The RCS1016 spool in the OG Steez reels is a nice performer. Not wild at all. It is a good blend of control and distance

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
I've tried both the Zillion SV and the SS SV spool in the OG Steez. the SS SV spool doesn't feel over braked in the Steez like it does in the
SS SV. I'd say that it feels like an ordinary SV spool (similar to the Steez SV 103 spool) whereas the Zillion SV feels about as fast as the original OG spool. In my case it feels too fast and if I wanted that characteristic, why spend the money on a different spool.

On the other hand the Zillion spool was made to order for the SS SV 103, and the SS SV spool is a nice option for the Steez OG.
Of course that is just me. Other folks might be better at taming the faster spools and see it differently. I am rarely going for the max distance and more highly value consistent control.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Which of the Steez have the weaker magnets? Just the old ones with the smaller crank case?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:19 pm

noc10 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I've tried both the Zillion SV and the SS SV spool in the OG Steez. the SS SV spool doesn't feel over braked in the Steez like it does in the
SS SV. I'd say that it feels like an ordinary SV spool (similar to the Steez SV 103 spool) whereas the Zillion SV feels about as fast as the original OG spool. In my case it feels too fast and if I wanted that characteristic, why spend the money on a different spool.

On the other hand the Zillion spool was made to order for the SS SV 103, and the SS SV spool is a nice option for the Steez OG.
Of course that is just me. Other folks might be better at taming the faster spools and see it differently. I am rarely going for the max distance and more highly value consistent control.
Excellent information. Thank you

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:28 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:20 pm
Which of the Steez have the weaker magnets? Just the old ones with the smaller crank case?
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm referring to the original - before the SV models came out. I also remember being told that the Megabass editions had stronger magnets. Spool swapping has been completely trial and error for me. The SS SV spool seems to be a good option in a Steez, especially if you're after greater control and a slower spool. The SV103 spool would probably work about the same. Other choices would be the Steez SV103 and SV105 limited spools. These should put you right in between the SS SV spool, and the Zillion / Steez G1 SV spools. Inductors are a little larger than the G1, and a little smaller than the SS SV. If I still owned an OG, this is what I would choose if I wanted the SV tech. Otherwise, I'd go with a Megabass or SLP 1010 spool.