Daiwa guys?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa guys?

Post by bronzebacks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Whats everyone's opinion on the ss sv?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa guys?

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:38 pm

Overbraked poor man's last gen Steez with a weak drag. Not a bad reel of you can get one cheap enough. I played $140 for my SS SV105 which is the superior version. I wouldn't pay over $120 for an SS SV103 like new with box and paperwork. You're going to have tl spend $50 on a new spool and carbontex drag and it will still we a low pressure single washer drag. Handle upgrade is needed as well.

$50 Amo spool
$20 carbon handle
$8 carbontex drag

And you are good to go. This is why you need to get them for cheap or already have these parts lying around. The SS SV105 is still the one to get. It has an SV 105 spool and a very strong multi stack drag from the factory.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Great reel as a base for modifying, plenty of steez parts fit, easy brass gear option in the TD Zillion gear sets drop straight in as well as the Steez 100SH gears, which give the ability for multi disc drag, The over braking can be fixed by changing out the inductor on the spool with a rays inductor, this makes a huge difference to casting.
As it is stock the reel isn't so inspiring but for those that like to tinker its great. Also have many spool options in the 34mm sized spools. I also worked out a way to fit a Zillion/TDZ line guide to them which looks great, requires a bit of modification to the line guide with a small round jewelers file.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:53 pm

if you can get them for dirt cheap, it can be modified as said above and turned into a solid reel. Stock, it was one of my least favorite reels.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Just don’t see the point. Can get a very nice OG Steez for the same price. They just felt cheap to me.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 pm

Super light but hollow feeling. As folks said it’s heavily braked and drag isn’t too strong. You can swap to the 8.1 brass gears and get a multi disk drag stack for more power and help with that hollow feeling.

You can also swap spools if you need more distance but the stock spool is great for pitching and skipping and casting straight into the wind if distance isn’t the main goal.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:08 pm

I have one that sees some use. The drag is carbon and I put 8.1 gears in it,
as well as a 1st gen steez sv spool . It casts ok and burns cranks and traps well enough for me, but the og steez is still nicer.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Hollow feel to it. Needs work to get the best out of it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:09 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Whats everyone's opinion on the ss sv?
What are your intentions?
I think that would be the question I'd have to ask you if you were looking to buy one. You WILL need to modify it but most people here modify most reels they own, not all but most. I have one, 7.9:1 gears G1 spool CF handle, upgraded drag , steez face plate , knobs bearing etc. I love it. Does it feel hollow? not to me maybe its the gear set I don't know. Its a heck of a reel to start playing with and with the right rod and Spool it will do just about anything. When I brought mine I had an idea of the direction I wanted to go and built off that.

After reading my initial post I realized that I may have paid more for the spool than the reel..lol
but thats the beauty of fine tuning things to your specific likings.. I have an Steez EX that I have been playing around with and finally came across a KTF Kahen spool in purple just for that specific reel. In hindsight I probably would have tried to get a kahen spool for my SSSV as well. In my humble opinion the spool you get will greatly work in your favor towards the technique in which you are planning to use the reel for. Good Luck.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible