Steez CT SV 70 vs Alphas CT SV 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez CT SV 70 vs Alphas CT SV 70

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I've owned the Alphas CT before but sold it to my brother without fishing it. It was probably the smoothest alphas I've had although I didn't reel it under load. I just ordered a Steez CT SV 70 after researching for a few days but now I'm wondering if I should have just bought another alphas CT and saved a couple hundred dollars.

Anybody own both? Is the steez noticeably better than the alphas in any way other than being lighter?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Steez CT SV 70 vs Alphas CT SV 70

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:18 pm

The Steez CT is hands down the smoothest reel I've ever fished. With that being said, the Alphas CT is immensely enjoyable to fish. In my hands, its among the top 5 smoothest reels I've owned/fished.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:18 pm
The Steez CT is hands down the smoothest reel I've ever fished. With that being said, the Alphas CT is immensely enjoyable to fish. In my hands, its among the top 5 smoothest reels I've owned/fished.
So do you own both? Or did you pick one over the other? Would you say the steez was worth twice the price to you?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I will say, typically I prefer non twing reels like the alphas and I typically choose aluminum framed reels with brass gears (although I likey other steez, TD Ito , and TD Fuego as well). I just keep reading about how smooth the steez CT sv is.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
So do you own both? Or did you pick one over the other? Would you say the steez was worth twice the price to you?
It depends on what you value most. Insanely light and smooth is the best description of the Steez CT. The clicking drag-out feature is another plus of the Steez CT. I paid $485 each for the 2 Steez CT I had. Unexpected need for other things forced me to sell them. I will buy another one, only I'll get the 7-gear reel this time, solely because I dont care for purple on a reel. I feel that the features above make it worth having one.....but if I need another CT reel from there on out the Alphas will get the nod.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
It depends on what you value most. Insanely light and smooth is the best description of the Steez CT. The clicking drag-out feature is another plus of the Steez CT. I paid $485 each for the 2 Steez CT I had. Unexpected need for other things forced me to sell them. I will buy another one, only I'll get the 7-gear reel this time, solely because I dont care for purple on a reel. I feel that the features above make it worth having one.....but if I need another CT reel from there on out the Alphas will get the nod.
I hear ya on the purple, except I love my purple alphas but it's not the same as the dark purple accents on 8.1 reels. I did go with the 8.1 steez CT even though I prefer red accents because I liked the IPT better on that version and I figure it just gets worse once you cast out most of the line on the small spool. I could be wrong though.

Maybe I'll get the alphas CT again eventually and just stick with the steez for now and see how I like it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 pm

No doubt, you will love the Steez CT.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 am

I own both, steez is super smooth. Casting performance is pretty close. Is the Steez $200 better? Not really in my opinion if you’re just looking for performance... With that being said, my Steez isn’t going anywhere and I’ve even considered buying another one. Not everyone has the same budget or mindset, both are awesome reels, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in either one.
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Jkitchens wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 am
I own both, steez is super smooth. Casting performance is pretty close. Is the Steez $200 better? Not really in my opinion if you’re just looking for performance... With that being said, my Steez isn’t going anywhere and I’ve even considered buying another one. Not everyone has the same budget or mindset, both are awesome reels, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in either one.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I ended up finding a alphas CT for a good price and bought it so I'll have one of each. The steez CT is a very nice reel so far though. Haven't fished it (still waiting on the rod) but the size and weight are very nice.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am

I can mirror what James said between the 2 ct reels. The steez is uber smooth and has the advantage of having the 8.1 option. The steez palms a bit smaller and is lighter but the alphas is still small, palms great and is very smooth.
Casting was virtually identical virtually between the two.

Really it boils down to an extra $200 bones for the 8.1 option, clicking drag and better refinement.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:32 am

Glad to see that Japan Tackle has sold out Alphas Air's. I'm happy because light baitcasting fishing is in my opinion so fun, and it's nice to see that many people thinks also so. I still haven't ordered mine, because I have made other expensive purchasements and also I think there's no that big difference between Alphas Air and my current Alphas ct with KTF spool. Alphas Air with tuning spool should be different story but also tuning spools seems sold out, which is also nice to see. :D

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:57 am

I can confirm Jkitchens' comment, since I own both as well.

If you look purely at performance, the Alpha is the better buy. If you want the ultimate in smoothness the Steez is great It also offers a bit faster gear ratio, I have not felt a big of a difference here though...

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Throw a CT spool in a Pixy

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 pm

igl00jx wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm

That looks amazing. I actually almost bought a alphas CT sv the other day that had the side plates from a yellow pixy. Looked great as well.

Id much rather have plain aluminum spacers like that or black spacers than the orange ones the CT comes with. That's the only thing I don't like about the alphas CT.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 am

igl00jx wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Show off :lol: