Shimano reel names

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano reel names

Post by lifeofRiley » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 pm

I don't know what happened, they used to be hands down the best in the industry. Chronarch, Curado, Calcutta, CORE, Stradic. Eventually we saw "aldebaran," and that is goofy as all get out. Not bad, but no one ever came up to me and said, "I got the new aldeblaberaana." Now we have the "Vanford". Just about as bad a name as they could possibly choose. No, it is as bad as they could choose. Terrible. The only reason I'm writing this post is because I love Shimano reels so much. 99% of my reels are shimano, but these terrible names won't make me run out and buy a new reel. I'll either buy a discontinued STci4+ or stay with the FL line. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano reel names

Post by LowRange » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Shimano names have always been retarded. What the hell is a Bantum, Canan, Cronark, Crado, Castis and C14+?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:34 pm

They have some cool names like Stella or Vanquish...then they come out with Vanford...there has to be a story behind it that has yet to be told. Sounds like a word someone would try to use in scrabble.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 am

What's in a name?

Does a z matrix cross wrap, unobtanium fused rod, called an Chupacabra Slingshot Exxxtinction Level Event Phase x13 Gremlin Vega Yugo Type R sound better? :lol:

I agree some names suck, like deep throat custom suck...
Last edited by zodiak311 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 am

You'll see the old names come back. Sort of recyclable business plan, its happened already.
lifeofRiley wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 pm
Eventually we saw "aldebaran," and that is goofy as all get out. Not bad, but no one ever came up to me and said, "I got the new aldeblaberaana."
Alderbaran is a Islamic / Arabic word / name for a star in the celestial sky... Basically translated as "the one who follows" from memory, again researched that when I bought my Aldebaran MG... Well it fits as the Core name dropped and it was after the Core.
tywithay wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:34 pm
They have some cool names like Stella or Vanquish...then they come out with Vanford...there has to be a story behind it that has yet to be told. Sounds like a word someone would try to use in scrabble.
I did a bit of research on the "Vanford" when the reel was to be released... Not one result other than its a very popular Surname in the USA... Its been Copyright by Shimano and that's about all...

Weird / stupid to get rid of well grounded and known names... Does wonders for business...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am

Let me tell you about a reel called Tatulion

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:42 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am
Ths is a Shimano name unappreciation post... Please do not further litter it with such Daiwa filth. :lol:

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:58 am

I like it ! It's new, it's exciting … it makes people talk and all the good ''S'' words have been used:Stella, Sustain, Symetre, Sojourn, Stradic. It' time for the V's. Vanquish is already used. Vanguard would be good. Van Dam, no, can't use that one! Vanford will grow on you, you'll see. \:D/

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:58 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am
Winner! :lol:
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:58 am

Shimano used to be like this for USDM.

All casting reels started with C

All spinning reels started with S
<")))><{

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:01 am

i have never been willing to spend some of my time to decipher the ingenuity of the C14+ moniker. i do have 2 stradics, both 2000's of some series.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:17 am

I have the time and willing to help here. Ci4 is the name of the composite used to make the body of the Stradic: a very light composite and pretty stiff as composite go. There was a second generation of it and it was called Ci4+, stronger and stiffer than the first generation. That's what the latest Stradics are made of. This composite is also used to make reel seats. There are two kinds of Stradics, Stradic FL Aluminium body and Stradic Ci4+ ( now Vanford) composite body.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:47 am

I knew there were picky people on here, but wow. Won’t buy a reel because of the name??? Seriously? While I agree that Vanford is a weird name, definitely wouldn’t keep me from buying a reel. Even a name as bad as Tatulion

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:20 am

Next up to replace the Antares moniker...Carchevy

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:00 am

wow.. this is some funny crap