Do you mind Daiwa going full Made In Thailand?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Do you mind Daiwa going full Made In Thailand?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 63

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Do you mind Daiwa going full Made In Thailand?

Post by slime king » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am

It will be interesting to see if Steez and Exists get moved over as well. I think they may stay in Japan.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:03 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I would not pay big money for a Steez made in Thailand.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Personally, I don't think they'll move flagship production out of Japan. Hope not anyways.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Lets all become a bunch of T A T U L O I D S

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Nothing says high end quality quite like the words Made In Thailand :-k

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 pm
Nothing says high end quality quite like the words Made In Thailand :-k
Mazda, Toyoda, Nissan, Mitsubishi et al... And all have had their fair share of issues with Thailand based manufacturing, and whether it be assembly or manufacture.

Some places / cultures aren't meant for it - the Japanese have culture and pride... Well since Demming and after the war.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 am

Obviously Daiwa (and others) feel their product is simply a "run of the mill" "nothing special" product that can be made anywhere by any non-skilled worker... I'll take them at their word.

oe

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am
Culture has nothing to do with quality. If you but your factories under a strict quality control, anywhere in the world, you will have JDM-like products. The real problem is pinstriped businessman behind fishing companies, always putting cost-reductions above quality, for an ever growing profit.
Amen! This is what's wrong with a lot of things today. Profit before people.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes.

I like my Shimano and Daiwa reels to say Japan.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 am

Would you feel better if instead of made in Thailand it said made in the USA?
Quality control is a good but in one of my classes we studied how QC although in place the QCI team weren’t on the premises and when you have a product being manufactured in a different country sometimes things really get lost in translation and when a team goes to the site and conducts an inspection by the time they inspect, identify , report , make suggestions and take corrective action you’ve got a lot of product gone out the door.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:19 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 am
Quality control is a good but in one of my classes we studied how QC although in place the QCI team weren’t on the premises and when you have a product being manufactured in a different country sometimes things really get lost in translation and when a team goes to the site and conducts an inspection by the time they inspect, identify , report , make suggestions and take corrective action you’ve got a lot of product gone out the door.
Does not matter whether it is Thailand, China, USA or Japan as long as the quality is reflected by the price.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:53 am

rando wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:19 am
goldrod wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 am
Does not matter whether it is Thailand, China, USA or Japan as long as the quality is reflected by the price.
Quality being reflected by price is paramount and that I can agree with
All I am pointing out or attempted to point out was when a product is outsourced to a different country no matter where that may be, the process of quality control is sometimes so lengthy that the consumer will not see change for some time and that quality control is more of a problem when Manufacturers outsource. I don’t have statistical data just going off one of the classes I took and the many case studies we had to do.

For example
I have an X5 that’s twin turbo charged
It’s a German vehicle that’s made here in the states. South Carolina I think but anyways there was an issue that I wasn’t even aware of ( other than the malfunction indication on the dash )that the dealership took care of with A simple adaptive lighting software update. Maybe it was an anomaly but the guy from the dealership said they needed tech support to translate German to English. All I knew was one of my headlights caused a malfunction on my dash. Had I’d been in the country of origin the troubleshooting would have taken considerably less time I think. Maybe. Maybe I didn’t get the ground truth either.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 am

I do understand your point and I think that what you pointed is an examply of bad QC. An examply of good QC would be a direct line of communication between R&D manufacturing and distributor or having an R&D engineer on site.
Megabass can do it right with their made in China rods so there are no excuses.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:48 am

rando wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 am
I do understand your point and I think that what you pointed is an examply of bad QC. An examply of good QC would be a direct line of communication between R&D manufacturing and distributor or having an R&D engineer on site.
Megabass can do it right with their made in China rods so there are no excuses.
Good point and thanks

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:59 pm

I do mind that. MB did that and still charged JDM prices on their reels. I am afraid that quality is going to be compromised and the prices wont be adjusted. certain platforms should stay in domestic factories like the steez, morethan, zillion, alphas and the certate / exist. dont really care about the t3 if they are even gonna release a new one and sure dont care for the Tatula. That one is a bang for the buck reel and if it holds 2-3 seasons for that price I would be fine with it.