I don't use spinning gear at all. Do you?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Are you still using Spinning Gear?

Yes
79%
No
20%
Thinking of getting rid of them
2%

Total votes: 122

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: I don't use spinning gear at all. Do you?

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:56 pm

I have 4 spinning set ups left. 1 is a 2 piece I have set up for walleye on our annual hunting/fishing trip. Second Is a light rod for neds rigs, third is a dedicated drop shot set up and last is a universal set up for anything and everything. The universal comes out every time, don’t always use it but I always have it with me. Second one comes out for river fishing, tight quarters and small mouth sanctuaries, the drop shot comes out 3 times a year on these deep smallie lakes and it’s just one of the easiest ways to really get into them on hot days.

95% of the time I reach for a caster though

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 pm

Majority of my bass fishing is with baitcasters but I have two spinning rod set ups and at least one always goes with me. NRX 852S/Sustain 2500 and my beloved BSR802GLX/ Pflueger something reel. As far as I am concerned that BSR802 GLX can be buried with me when I die.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am

I've made the switch from bait casting to spinning reels. I rather land a big fish on spinning tackle. Braised lines have the difference

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

You didn't use braided for baitcasters? But you use braided for spinning? Are you all baitcasters OG Zillions with that slow level wind that braided did not work well?

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:42 pm

I grew up using spinning reels but am just more comfortable with a baitcaster nowadays. I fish mostly weightless, or 1/8 weighted plastics and have no problem with my setups. I looked like a beginner the last time I tried casting a spinning reel.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:14 am

All spinning gear was sold when i got into bfs. No more bail flipping and line management problems.

I keep one spinning setup down the shore for the surf.

cmc33
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cmc33 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:02 pm

I usually bring one spinning, incase the wind picks up or whatever... also for striper fishing, exclusively spinning... until I buy a heavy duty caster lol

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 pm

I like to have the best tool for the job.
That being said, I'm a multi species angler so I like have different setups for the job.
I have many casting setup but also many spinning setups. I would probably also fly fish if I had anywhere good around here to fly fish. Our trout streams are small and wooded. A fly rod would just be too troublesome.
I like spinning for the lighter stuff. I could use bfs, but with spinning gear, I don't have to worry about backlashes. Plus it's much easier to flick out a tiny crappie jig to a brush next to the boat with ultralight spinning gear than bfs gear.
If all I did was bass fish then I could probably get rid of most of my spinning tackle. But there's too many wonderful species of fish to catch so why limit myself.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:25 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am
You didn't use braided for baitcasters? But you use braided for spinning? Are you all baitcasters OG Zillions with that slow level wind that braided did not work well?
I still have a arsenal of bait-casters readily available with braid. (conquests and tdz)
However, I find it to be easier to land and fight a big fish using heavier spinning tackle as opposed to using heavy or comparable
bait-casting tackle. I'm using series 3000 thru 4000 Daiwa spinning reels with 30/40 lb braid. I still use the Daiwa 2600 ss series of reels. There more drag power and torque on a larger spinning reel than a comparable bait-caster of the same weight IMO... Especially when you have to make long casts. I would love to take on the new "tatula" 300 series of reels.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:38 pm

I usually have one, and on occasions where I go to a SMB only lake I will bring all spinning and one casting setup.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 am

Some guys call them fairy wands other guys call them sissy sticks. I call them my favorite rods to use when pounding 5 lb smallmouth bass on lake Erie. :big grin:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:37 am

the hooligan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:14 am
All spinning gear was sold when i got into bfs. No more bail flipping and line management problems.

When did you get into BFS?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 am

Markanthony404 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 am
Some guys call them fairy wands other guys call them sissy sticks. I call them my favorite rods to use when pounding 5 lb smallmouth bass on lake Erie. :big grin:
Yes sir.

I also never understood the “fairy wands” speak as I have a good many made on “casting” blanks.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 am
Drop-shot on Erie is when I use them. Otherwise I'll use finesse baitcaster setups.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:26 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:37 am
the hooligan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:14 am

When did you get into BFS?
Now that's funny right there!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.