Never thought it would happen to me

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Never thought it would happen to me

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am

It all started when I was reading about smaller diameter spools in larger diameter reels. Okay, I could see line getting stuck going from 36- 34mm. Thats a 1 mm gap all around. Didn't think it would be a huge deal, maybe sometimes it would happen. I mean, people are always saying you need to run spacers...

Then I bought a Coastal SV and was looking at spool options. Lets throw a 33mm spool in a 34mm reel. That's only a gap of .5mm! Surely, it would be next to impossible for the line to get stuck inside. I mean, that guy that ran it without spacers did say it found a way in there...

Picked up a SV Light to play around with and start messing with BFS territory. Decided to start with 8lb braid on the stock spool. Was getting some decent distance with 1/4oz baits on an overpowered rod. Changed up to a heavier bait and forgot to adjust the brakes and finally...

How often has this happened to you?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Never thought it would happen to me

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 am

8# braid is awfully thin. I don't go below a 4# mono diameter line which would be 15# braid so I have avoided this fate so far.. I also don't throw baits anywhere near that heavy on spools that shallow. I would bump up to a 20# braid and a deeper finesse spool on a ML rod for those baits. I don't have an SS SV10? Light Limited LTD TN Manbearpig but my understanding is that would be better suited to L and UL BFS rods

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 am
8# braid is awfully thin. I don't go below a 4# mono diameter line which would be 15# braid so I have avoided this fate so far.. I also don't throw baits anywhere near that heavy on spools that shallow. I would bump up to a 20# braid and a deeper finesse spool on a ML rod for those baits. I don't have an SS SV10? Light Limited LTD TN Manbearpig but my understanding is that would be better suited to L and UL BFS rods
Thanks. I have a Light rod on the way from aliexpress to try out. I'm looking to throw 3/16 oz lures as the sweet spot. I'll bump up the braid a bit. At 8lbs, that stock spool holds more than enough. My idea was to eventually get a 32mm DIY spool or go down to a 30mm and make some spacers. I'll re evaluate once the rod comes in.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 am
LowRange wrote:
Thanks. I have a Light rod on the way from aliexpress to try out. I'm looking to throw 3/16 oz lures as the sweet spot. I'll bump up the braid a bit. At 8lbs, that stock spool holds more than enough. My idea was to eventually get a 32mm DIY spool or go down to a 30mm and make some spacers. I'll re evaluate once the rod comes in.
Try out an actual BFS rod form Majorcraft sometime. They have a lot of power and backbone for their ability to cast light weight baits. Most of the Aliexpress rods are pretty soft and not well suited to bass fishing around cover in the lighter powers. I'm still looking for the Aliexpress sub $100 BFS rod.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 am

I gave my kids an old Silver Max baitcaster for fishing in the creek behind our house and spooled it with 6lbs Sunline mono. The line gets stuck between the spool and frame All. The. Time. And they're not even casting (just pulling line off and reeling it back on). On my actual bass rods I don't go below 20lbs braid (or ~12lbs fluoro) when it's a baitcaster.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 am

When I pulled up post, I thought that's not bad, why the post. Then I read the post and looked again, yea that's bad. Spacers or new spool?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 am
LowRange wrote:
Try out an actual BFS rod form Majorcraft sometime. They have a lot of power and backbone for their ability to cast light weight baits. Most of the Aliexpress rods are pretty soft and not well suited to bass fishing around cover in the lighter powers. I'm still looking for the Aliexpress sub $100 BFS rod.
Will do. I've heard good things about them and also Bone rods. I do most of my pond hoping on bicycle so a multi piece would be great.
Drakestar wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 am
I gave my kids an old Silver Max baitcaster for fishing in the creek behind our house and spooled it with 6lbs Sunline mono. The line gets stuck between the spool and frame All. The. Time. And they're not even casting (just pulling line off and reeling it back on). On my actual bass rods I don't go below 20lbs braid (or ~12lbs fluoro) when it's a baitcaster.
That's both hilarious and gotta be frustrating for you. I think i'm definitely a bit undersized on line diameter.
BigG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 am
When I pulled up post, I thought that's not bad, why the post. Then I read the post and looked again, yea that's bad. Spacers or new spool?
It's just the stock spool. This has been my first week or so of playing around with a lighter line on a baitcaster. Didn't think it would be so easy to get inside the stock gap. Need to up my line diameter a bit.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:31 pm

I use 8lb J-Braid on a Pixy w/ DIY spool and if I set the spool tension with a little play it seems like it can get suck in there every hundred casts or so. Not often enough to be an issue really but if I add enough tension to remove the play it seems to prevent it. Also I have noticed that with a full spool it happens more often, leaving it a little underfilled seems to help as well. I really hate using thin braid but the casting distance it gives vs 4lb mono is noticeable with tiny spoons.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:54 pm

I use 8# fluoro on my SV Light, so I've never had it happen, but it did happen with the 4# fluoro on my ASC the other day. Didn't seem to hurt anything, and that's after every cast since 2018. I'll probably respool with the recommended 6# next time, though. I have 8# braid on my Alphas Air and never had it happen.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Never :-$ :whistle:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I've had 8# Sufix Nanobraid on my SS Air for 2 yrs now and that's never happened to me...... (said I, as I knock on wood). [-o<
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:31 am

I learned my lesson with 4# mono on standard bait casting reels already... :mrgreen:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish