Is Daiwa becoming : The Off Topic Turn...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is Daiwa becoming : The Off Topic Turn...

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am

I'm baffled by others' concern about how their reels look. I don't buy mine to help me pick up women, I don't stroke reels fondly at home, and if I have to look at them while fishing, then I'm either changing the brake settings or I have an overrun.

I do prefer stealthy finishes to highly reflective ones, because I don't want sun flashes to alert fish to my presence when wading or bank fishing. A matte gray reel others might find boring is fine with me.

I do appreciate art, and have produced a fair amount of it myself. I just regard reels as tools and can't imagine leaving a better-performing reel at home--or on the store shelf--to use one that is more aesthetically pleasing. But to each his own.

To the poster who complained of roughness in his Zillion SV TW's retrieve, was it that way or smooth when purchased? Mine doesn't have many hours on it, but provides a very smooth retrieve. I hope it isn't doomed to swift degradation.

One more followup to others' comments, in case any reel manufacturers are following this thread: I, too, lament the increasing rarity of reels with 34 mm spools. Give us that option!

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am
I'm baffled by others' concern about how their reels look. I don't buy mine to help me pick up women, I don't stroke reels fondly at home, and if I have to look at them while fishing, then I'm either changing the brake settings or I have an overrun.

I do prefer stealthy finishes to highly reflective ones, because I don't want sun flashes to alert fish to my presence when wading or bank fishing. A matte gray reel others might find boring is fine with me.

I do appreciate art, and have produced a fair amount of it myself. I just regard reels as tools and can't imagine leaving a better-performing reel at home--or on the store shelf--to use one that is more aesthetically pleasing. But to each his own.

To the poster who complained of roughness in his Zillion SV TW's retrieve, was it that way or smooth when purchased? Mine doesn't have many hours on it, but provides a very smooth retrieve. I hope it isn't doomed to swift degradation.

One more followup to others' comments, in case any reel manufacturers are following this thread: I, too, lament the increasing rarity of reels with 34 mm spools. Give us that option!
I’m sure the guys on other sites may share your thoughts but isn’t this more of an enthusiast site? Of course we want something out of the ordinary.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 am

Bronzeye wrote:
I'm baffled by others' concern about how their reels look.
It gets worse... imagine trying to match color schemes between your rod and reel... then, when that challenge is resolved, finding the right colored fishing line so the ensemble is complete.

Yes, there is no end to the madness... nor do I really want it to end :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am

I'm surprised to see someone not care about the looks of their reels on TT. I prefer losing my pb than scratching my td ito 8-)

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:42 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am
I'm surprised to see someone not care about the looks of their reels on TT. I prefer losing my pb than scratching my td ito 8-)
lol...yep!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:52 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:42 am
SSS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am
lol...yep!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 am
Bronzeye wrote:
I'm baffled by others' concern about how their reels look.
It gets worse... imagine trying to match color schemes between your rod and reel... then, when that challenge is resolved, finding the right colored fishing line so the ensemble is complete.

Yes, there is no end to the madness... nor do I really want it to end :lol:
=D> =D> =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Is Daiwa becoming a Tatula???

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:00 pm

Bronzeye wrote:

Bit like the late 1980's mid 90's and early 2000's with car tuning and looks - now look at it done a full 360 change...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:47 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 pm

OMG! Thank god I'm not the only one shocked about these trendy, fashionist trend over fishing. When they lost the way and started putting looks/trendiness above quality, reliability and durability?

''OMG TWS insn't fashion enough''. ''OMG the CT frame isn't trendy''. ''Daiwa is so unfashionable''. ''The agressiveness by TWS looks hurts my feelings''. ''OMG Daiwa is lacking so much pink in their reeels''. ''OMG Daiwa pleaaase make a soft masculinity reeeel''.

Come on...

😂😂😂 hey so some people like to have fun with their gear. Where’s the harm in that? Fishing is supposed to be fun, remember? Or do you guys not smile when taking fish photos too? ... THAT is one of my pet peeves 😉
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 pm
Bronzeye wrote:

OMG! Thank god I'm not the only one shocked about these trendy, fashionist trend over fishing. When they lost the way and started putting looks/trendiness above quality, reliability and durability?

''OMG TWS insn't enough''. ''OMG the CT frame isn't trendy''. ''Daiwa is so unfashionable''. ''The agressiveness by TWS looks hurts my feelings''. ''OMG Daiwa is lacking so much pink in their reeels''. ''OMG Daiwa pleaaase make a soft masculinity reeeel''.

Come on...
I honestly dont think that you really understand the culture of TT. Based on this statement alone, I'm almost certain of it. This isn't BBC and it definitely isnt BR. The enthusiast appeal of Daiwa's older offerings has been a central theme here for well beyond the 13 odd years I've been visiting the forum. There was a certain mystique surrounding Daiwa and Shimano offerings, as the JDM versions were almost always lighter, more refined and better-performing reels vs their US counterparts. Then there was the myriad of colors and special edition/limited runs of reels that just added to the allure of owning one (or all) of them. This, coupled with the tinkering nature of most members, and being able to make a reel truly unique.....these are some of the core things that have made TackleTour what it is today. All the youtube wannabes who post reel reviews and unboxing videos basically stole that format from TT. No one was doing that sort of thing on the internet when Cal and Zander started this forum back in '04. Their pioneering efforts have pretty much given rise to all the other fishing review sites across the board.
So, when you say you dont get it, then it's quite clear that the enthusiast spirit has eluded you. Dont misread my intent or tone- I'm not criticizing your point of view at all, since the majority of fishermen think along the same lines as you. We have never, and likely will never appeal to the masses. This is a niche forum with niche membership. While my reels are first and foremost tools, I also customize them and make them an extension of my individual tastes. I fish them hard, but I also take care of and appreciate them. I didnt have a lot growing up, so I learned early on to take care of what I did have. As I got older and could afford high-end gear, I never forgot my humble beginnings. I own gear from Tatulas to OG Steez to TDZ's and on up to the latest Steez SV TW offerings. I find the beauty and enjoyment in every reel, regardless of what monetary value it holds. Given that, I still appreciate the older Daiwa offerings that had individual character and didnt look almost identical to every other reel made by Daiwa. This is what the OP meant by his opening statement and the title of the thread.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Or do you guys not smile when taking fish photos too? ... THAT is one of my pet peeves 😉
So that's not just an Aussie fishing thing... Phew thought we owned that outright...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 pm
Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Or do you guys not smile when taking fish photos too? ... THAT is one of my pet peeves 😉
So that's not just an Aussie fishing thing... Phew thought we owned that outright...
😂😂😂 it’s pervasive 😁
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 pm
No one was doing that sort of thing on the internet when Cal and Zander started this forum back in '04. Their pioneering efforts have pretty much given rise to all the other fishing review sites across the board.
Dude.. get with the program. Zander and JIP started TT in 2000. 😂

Granted, the site didn't go full blown "Enthusiast" until 2004 when I came on board and kind of stirred the pot. That's when the Enthusiast Section was born, but TT started in 2000... this is the 20th year!! :shock:

With that in mind, here's a pink Daiwa and some other oldies for fun. Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the photos are labeled "Shew Design Studio" because that's my photo business... ;)

A9S02756.jpg
A9S02756.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
A9S02757.jpg
A9S02757.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
A9S02763.jpg
A9S02763.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
A9S02764.jpg
A9S02764.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:33 pm

And first and foremost, fishing actually catching fishes. And this the real fun over the matter, or at least more than using the most recent ''RuPaul New Custom Tackle Gear'', LOL!
You know, if you only view your fishing gear as tools and have no need for them to be aesthetically pleasing, then more power to you. But to denigrate others who seek more from their gear than this simple utilitarian viewpoint is not necessary.

For me, fishing is about being outdoors, enjoying the fresh air, and using some cool gear. Catching is actually secondary. It certainly enhances my day if we catch fish, but I don't have to catch fish to have fun. I enjoy appreciating how my gear performs casting and working my lures... I appreciate a good cast and watching my baits swim back to the boat.

I have friends who don't understand why I go through all that effort to catch something and then let it go because the real purpose behind fishing is to catch something to eat... I feel fortunate to not have to depend on fishing to put food on the table. I might be in trouble if that were so. :lol:

It's fine if you don't need all the fancy treatments on your gear to enjoy it but if you feel the need to infer it's less manly of someone else because they have a different point of view feels to me as if you're attempting to mask some insecurities.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:13 pm

I just want to see these "RuPaul" reels are all about. I bet they are awesome based on what the Isuzu Trooper guy has to say.