Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAGST

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAGST

Post by Reverendo » Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 pm

This is one of the great surf casting reels having won several distance casting competitions. Having said that, it has two weaknesses. No clicker, AND a very weak max drag of 11#. The clicker doesn't bother me, but the weak drag does. Is there any way to increase the max drag capability? I don't think that simply swapping the washers for carbon ones will do the trick.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAGST

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri May 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Carbontex actually will increase max drag, as well as smoothness under load. For me, it has consistently increased TDZ drag pressure from 8# to over 12#, a gain of 50%.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 am

ska4fun wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 am
The common low drag for common non-oceanic/big game reels... The usual 5-6kg. Are you sure about the pinnion and maing gear supporting the increased drag power?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I have heard that a common upgrade to these reels is better pinion (actually a pinion sleeve), but I don't know how that improves the performance. Do you know if the drag washer upgrade would affect casting performance? It would be nice to get that drag up to 16-18 pounds.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am

I would think that the brunt of the extra pressure would be on the anti-reverse bushing, unless the pinion and main gear get out of alignment....in which case, you have bigger problems than premature pinion wear.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.