DC reels, opinions, techniques

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

DC reels, opinions, techniques

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am

I really don't need any more reels, but was wondering about feedback/reviews on either the curado dc or slx 150 DC. When using one of these reels, what is your favorite technique? What are the differences on these reels, mainly line capacity? I run mostly 200E7s and CH100D7s, and don't have any problems making long casts or controlling backlashes. I have an old calcutta TE 250 DC that is fine, but I really don't use it much at all. I haven't bought a new reel in a while, which is the main reason I'm looking 8-)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DC reels, opinions, techniques

Post by Cal » Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am
What are the differences on these reels, mainly line capacity?
Did you read Zander's writeup of the SLX DC? He discusses the key differences between it and the Curado DC there: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoslxdcreel.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am
I really don't need any more reels, but was wondering about feedback/reviews on either the curado dc or slx 150 DC. When using one of these reels, what is your favorite technique? What are the differences on these reels, mainly line capacity? I run mostly 200E7s and CH100D7s, and don't have any problems making long casts or controlling backlashes. I have an old calcutta TE 250 DC that is fine, but I really don't use it much at all. I haven't bought a new reel in a while, which is the main reason I'm looking 8-)
There’s never a need. However the experience is enriching
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm

After owning a CUDC for a short while and trying to extract whatever I could from it for what I need for Bass here in Australia - it wasn't that much of an enrichment experience - I'll keep that short.

The SLX DC has the same DC module as the Curado DC.

Having the much more vintage Calais DC, Antares DC LV and Calcutta TE 250 DC - they are much more widely tunable DC modules with much more life / capability to cast what I need than the newer Curado DC?

If your getting into the DC get something worthwhile...

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:19 pm
After owning a CUDC for a short while and trying to extract whatever I could from it for what I need for Bass here in Australia - it wasn't that much of an enrichment experience - I'll keep that short.
That being said I'll hold off for the time being. My buddy has a CUDC, so next time out with him I'll give it a whirl.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Yeh try it out. It wasn't very compliant with lighter baits I use such as Pagani Siglett & Grands, and smallish minnows, soft plastics etc... You whack a heavy bait it'll perform (plenty of those vids on YouTube "look no birds nests"), but it wasn't what I was expecting - even the Curado K just does the job fine, if not more accurately and stealthily.

That No. 1 and 2 setting were used extensively but the old venerable brick Calais DC could outcast it time and time again, and keep its composure with controlling the spool...

I mean isn't the DC module in the Curado DC just a noisy updated one out of the Scorpion DC...

I would've kept it for my Curado collection but not even that made me keep it - and I've got a lot of double models.

It'll be a reel for someone but for me that's my observation and honest opinion.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm

I owned a Curado DC and sold it off after a few outings. I honestly felt like I could cast further using my thumb. I sort of wish I kept it to teach my wife how to use a baitcaster though. Damn near impossible to get a major backlash. I also was not a fan of the sound.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm
I sort of wish I kept it to teach my wife how to use a baitcaster though. Damn near impossible to get a major backlash.
I made the mistake once to try to teach my now wife how to fish... In the end I left her at home and took her dog instead.

But in all honesty if you can successfully fish with your spouse that's awesome!

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm

just recently got a scorpion dc reel. put some line on it and went for a test . throwing some balsa/wooden crank baits was an eye opener. easy to get it to where i could throw well without any snafu's. sound is just icing on the cake.
before i stopped i threw a couple of casts left handed. i've never had the nerve nor inclination to do that before. reel cast well considering i felt like a girl throwing a baseball. lol. but the reel handled the casts perfectly. this is the first new shimano i've bought in a long time. may not be the last.
just great to look down knowing you've deliberately not thumbed the spool and there's no line going awry. i surely have to give kudos to shimano for the DC technology.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Curado DC casts a little farther than the K but only by 10-12 feet in my estimation. It definitetly has tighter tolerances than my Curado K and is a great reel worthy of the asking price. The actual casting ability of the iDC4 system is overblown though IMO

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:00 pm

I just picked up a SLX DC for my boy (time capsule thing) for $109 second hand in perfect knick.

Shares the same casting DC module as the Curado, while I'm not a fan; it'll do for him.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 pm

And have been gifted a Curado DC... The guy who bought this off another bloke was ripped off, he did a pull down and all the bearings are shot...

Good for the shelf, amongst the medow of other Curado's.
Attachments
IMG_20200904_142634.jpg
IMG_20200904_142634.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 5962 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 pm
And have been gifted a Curado DC... The guy who bought this off another bloke was ripped off, he did a pull down and all the bearings are shot...

Good for the shelf, amongst the medow of other Curado's.
Wowzers.. talk about a sack full of cats..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:18 am

I think I'm a keeping this Curado DC... 😅

Feels nhot bhad, quite noice for a free reel👌🏻
Attachments
IMG_20200905_221115.jpg
IMG_20200905_221115.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 5881 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:16 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:18 am
I think I'm a keeping this Curado DC... 😅

Feels nhot bhad, quite noice for a free reel👌🏻
Looks like a keeper to me