Daiwa TWS And Braid, Opinions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Daiwa TWS And Braid, Opinions

Post by Ghost » Sun May 17, 2020 7:29 pm

I have a couple Daiwa baitcast reels with TWS. I run braid on both reels, one has 40lb and the other has 30lb braid.

What is the consensus if braid damages the TWS system. I hear the braid running thru the TWS and I guess it bothers me.

Would I he better off spooling the copolymer I like? P-Line CXX, 10lbs?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa TWS And Braid, Opinions

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm

I have 8-10 tws reels running anything from 6# to 65# that i have used heavily for the last 3 years with zero issues.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon May 18, 2020 4:32 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm
I have 8-10 tws reels running anything from 6# to 65# that i have used heavily for the last 3 years with zero issues.
X2

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 am

I've never had any trouble with any of my tws reels and braid, my og tatula type r has never had anything else on it.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 pm

There were a couple of topics about the TWS grooving issue with braids. Do a search anid you will see a couple of informative posts.

Here is a one of them.

viewtopic.php?t=72925

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Jayce wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 pm
There were a couple of topics about the TWS grooving issue with braids. Do a search anid you will see a couple of informative posts.

Here is a one of them.

viewtopic.php?t=72925
The first post was of only using FC line no braid
Espionage01 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Has it been resolved properly?

I own a early version Tatula TWS 100P 5.4 that I use for crankbaits. It's always been spooled with 12lb fluro, no braid or mono. The TWS has several notches atm.

I did a quick google search which led me here: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30

Can any long time tws user chime in?

Since holiday sales are around the corner, Im trying to decide if I should continue hoarding Curado 200D's & parts or if its safe to buy a few new tatulas/zillions.

Thanks in advance,
David

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Mon May 18, 2020 9:04 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm
Jayce wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Here is a one of them.

viewtopic.php?t=72925
The first post was of only using FC line no braid
Espionage01 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:18 pm
Has it been resolved properly?

I own a early version Tatula TWS 100P 5.4 that I use for crankbaits. It's always been spooled with 12lb fluro, no braid or mono. The TWS has several notches atm.

I did a quick google search which led me here: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30

Can any long time tws user chime in?

Since holiday sales are around the corner, Im trying to decide if I should continue hoarding Curado 200D's & parts or if its safe to buy a few new tatulas/zillions.

Thanks in advance,
David
Thank you for the correction bro. :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 am

I had some grooving, twice, on an original Tatula Type R (big one). I think it was from inferior material and the actual T-wing being so thick it put a ton of pressure on the line/T-wing rear contact point and caused unnecessary friction. That being said, Daiwa quickly replaced them and the second time added a Zillion TWS T-wing. Now that my Type R is my oldest reel, I use it on a 7'6" heavy for frogs, jigs, medium swimbaits, etc. w/ 50lb braid. It is my utility reel and I fish it harder than the others; that being said, the T-wing has handled braid great. The only fear I have is that I am sure a larger line connection knot, 50lb-15lb+ fluoro, would catch and potentially cause damage. Solution there is just don't use a long leader, problem solved. I forgot to mention that one of my "grooves" was caused by a hook scratching the front of the T-wing, not line.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

The one link I was able to look at was from 2016. Come on guys if you don't like the T-wing that is fine but apparently the problems with it were fixed some time ago. I have seen no new posts of the thing grooving. For me the TWS deal is a non issue I neither love or hate it. I have used braid to leader and not had a problem.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue May 19, 2020 9:08 pm

timinmo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm
The one link I was able to look at was from 2016. Come on guys if you don't like the T-wing that is fine but apparently the problems with it were fixed some time ago. I have seen no new posts of the thing grooving. For me the TWS deal is a non issue I neither love or hate it. I have used braid to leader and not had a problem.
No one in this thread has said they dont like the twing, are you seeing posts we arent???

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 am

So I was not trying to contradict anyone or put words in anyone's mouth. Here is my stance, by all reports the TWS system had some early problems and by the lack of any new reports, I have assumed that these were fixed. I do not see posts from 2016 as being valid to any current discussion. I could not access the second link so I am not sure what it contains.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 am
The only fear I have is that I am sure a larger line connection knot, 50lb-15lb+ fluoro, would catch and potentially cause damage. Solution there is just don't use a long leader, problem solved.
This has been the issue i ran into as well using 65lb braid / 17lb mono with the steez. I mainly use Fg and blood as my connection knot. Can anyone tell me if the zillion tws is a bit larger or can handle the connection knot better than the steez’?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pm

BassFreak wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
The only fear I have is that I am sure a larger line connection knot, 50lb-15lb+ fluoro, would catch and potentially cause damage. Solution there is just don't use a long leader, problem solved.
This has been the issue i ran into as well using 65lb braid / 17lb mono with the steez. I mainly use Fg and blood as my connection knot. Can anyone tell me if the zillion tws is a bit larger or can handle the connection knot better than the steez’?
No. If you want to run a long leader then TWS reels are not for you. Luckily there are fantastic older Daiwa platforms to choose from as well as modern Shimanos.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pm
BassFreak wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
No. If you want to run a long leader then TWS reels are not for you. Luckily there are fantastic older Daiwa platforms to choose from as well as modern Shimanos.
Thanks lowrange. Currently using OG steez’ with sv spools for braid to leader apps. Was thinking of upgrading to zillions but guess not anymore. Haha.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 pm

BassFreak wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:52 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pm
BassFreak wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thanks lowrange. Currently using OG steez’ with sv spools for braid to leader apps. Was thinking of upgrading to zillions but guess not anymore. Haha.
I wonder if one could swap in a Fuego CT level wind into a Zillion SV TW? :-k I'm not sure it it is even possible on the Tatula CT but if it is then it probably is the same case for the Zillion SV TW.