Which BFS reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which BFS reel?

Post by Warhawk » Sat May 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I’ve got a few reels on hand, and am considering one of the Daiwa SV Light reels from TW. Curious about which of these will make the best BFS reel? I’d like to be able to cast 1/16 + plastic jigs, and 1/8 +. I realize the best reel for 1/16 may not be the best for controlling a 1/8, maybe but maybe not.

I have ...

Pixy Airy Red that I’ve got Pixilla parts on order for
PX68
Pixy Type R
yellow Pixilla with a Rays BFS spool on order
Alphas R Edition

I have used the Alphas R Edition and the Pixy Type R quite a bit, little if any experience with the others. Honestly I like the Alphas R the best at the moment, but casting 1/16 with it is a challenge.

For rods I have a Team Daiwa X ultralight (JDM) that I’ve had a couple of years. And a couple of Major Craft rods, one L actions BfS rod and one UL area trout rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which BFS reel?

Post by LowRange » Sat May 16, 2020 2:23 pm

I wouldn't think the SV LTD LIGHT would have enough capacity for 1/8 oz head and a small plastic if you are going for distance. I can almost spool my Airy Red spool of 20# braid with a 1/10 oz head a TRD. Honestly I would just use the Pixy you have or if you want to skip baits then get an Alphas CT 70. $300 for a 32mm spool SS SV seems a bit much still IMO.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat May 16, 2020 4:56 pm

I have an Airy Red Pixzilla that I am very very happy with for like 1/8-1/4. I don't make very long casts, so I can run 10lb Sniper in the summer and have plenty of capacity. I also have a PX68 that is feel is a lot less controlled then the Airy Red, but it's still great for 1/8oz and up, but shines closer to 3/16oz.

This is the box I use with the AR Pixzilla, rod is a P3 Criffhanger. The lightest is a wacky Swamp Crawler at just over 1/8oz and the heaviest is the Dark Sleepers at a bit over 5/16oz. The reel handles them all very well and the DS just bombs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Didn't know dark sleepers came that small. This changes everything.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 pm
Didn't know dark sleepers came that small. This changes everything.
Yea, but those are my last three and I am not buying any more. They snag too easily and on 7-10lb fluoro I don't get many back. I am trying to find a tiny jighead to fit a 3" ES or FI to replicate the action for less cost. A very heavy for size lure is a great addition to a finesse kit, windy days happen and I am not throwing weightless worms when there is much of it.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm

If I might recommend a small plastic swimbaits ... try the Bobby Garland Slab Hunter, it’s intended as a crappie lure. It’s almost identical to the “swim tail” a lure poured by a local bait shop in Wichita, 40 years ago. The new Slab Hunter is even better, almost identical in size and shape, but made in two colors and with glitter inside. I’ve have seen these out fish live minnows again and again.

https://www.lurenet.com/bobby-garland-2-25-slab-hunt-r

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm

If you are a righty and were planing on getting a SV Light ltd I'd grab one from the tackle trap. They are cheaper and you can use TT10 for an extra 10%off right now plus free shipping. Also support the smaller guys. Just a heads up ;) https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=15610

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:55 pm

The limited will work fine with the appropriate rod. I will say that 1/16 oz plus small trailer is pushing it a bit though - especially if you want distance. You may want to seek a truer bfs spool for those duties. 1/8 plus trailer is fine though - I do it all the time. The Alphas CT should be similar in nature, plus you can add a shallower spool to it. Don't worry so much about the reel, it's all about that spool ;)

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 am

If you find KTF spool for Pixy,you can easy cast 1/32...Ray studio not bad too,but a bit nervous to cast,cos of thin inductor,so be carefull at begining.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 am

Daiwa Steez/Alphas CT TW.

Original spool casts even 2g lures. You can also use that for thicker lines and heavier lures if need. Much more versatile than pure bfs reel. =D>

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am

I'm running the airy red Pixzilla and pixy type R with the I'ze factory finesse spool and can get down to 2gr comfortably. With the Ray's Diy spool and modified inductor 1-1.2gr with ease.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 am

eklikewhoa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am
I'm running the airy red Pixzilla and pixy type R with the I'ze factory finesse spool and can get down to 2gr comfortably. With the Ray's Diy spool and modified inductor 1-1.2gr with ease.
Modified inductor?

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Sun May 24, 2020 8:18 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 am
Daiwa Steez/Alphas CT TW.

Original spool casts even 2g lures. You can also use that for thicker lines and heavier lures if need. Much more versatile than pure bfs reel. =D>
Agreed. These are what makes the newer reels really awesome. With the proper rod, SV Light can cast 1/16 oz head plus small plastic just as well, although i think the alphas ct does it slightly better. For how much you can grab one from the trap right now, you really can't go wrong it. well worth the money imo

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 am
eklikewhoa wrote:
Modified inductor?
Basically made it into a fixed inductor/non sv. Just got a thicker square edge inductor from a Morethan spool I plan on testing on the modified Ray's.

Also tried keeping the sv function but running the HLC inductor spring but it wants high brake settings

For me it seems less erratic and more consistent as far as when the brakes come on.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:47 am

eklikewhoa wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 am
eklikewhoa wrote:
Modified inductor?
Basically made it into a fixed inductor/non sv. Just got a thicker square edge inductor from a Morethan spool I plan on testing on the modified Ray's.

Also tried keeping the sv function but running the HLC inductor spring but it wants high brake settings

For me it seems less erratic and more consistent as far as when the brakes come on.
How did you fixed the inductor?