Screw inside knob stuck- Need Help

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Screw inside knob stuck- Need Help

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 pm

tywithay wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:22 pm
Since you don't plan on keeping the knobs, it may be time to go the surgical route and cut the knob away from the post. Remove everything away from the screw so you can isolate the post and hold it.
I was thinking that, they are the black cork megabass knobs so I know I would have used them on something else but at this point, I might not have a choice.

I’m trying to put the handle on a IP79 and keep the original cork knobs that came with the reel.

Do you recommend a tool to cut through the knob if I end up doing it? Would a regular carpenters knife work?

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Here’s some pics

You can see how thin the back part is which makes it almost impossible to grab with pressure in order for the bar to stay stationary while unscrewing a screw that could be damaged.

And you can see the screw has been stripped BEFORE I worked on it.
I can manage to get in the groove of the philips in order to turn it but it’s obviously been messed with so bad.
Almost like they used a drill to put the screw on.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:27 am

Before you cut the knobs off, try what Slazmo is suggesting first. The idea behind the centre punch is that it will expand that end of the knob shaft enough to stick in the handle so you can remove the screw. If that doesn't work, I would cut a shallow slot in the end of the knob post and use a flat screwdriver on that end to try and hold it while you unscrew the screw. If that doesn't work, I would cut the handle end of the shaft off and remove it that way, then grab that end with a pair of vice grips and remove the screw.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:34 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:27 am
Before you cut the knobs off, try what Slazmo is suggesting first. The idea behind the centre punch is that it will expand that end of the knob shaft enough to stick in the handle so you can remove the screw. If that doesn't work, I would cut a shallow slot in the end of the knob post and use a flat screwdriver on that end to try and hold it while you unscrew the screw. If that doesn't work, I would cut the handle end of the shaft off and remove it that way, then grab that end with a pair of vice grips and remove the screw.
Ok, I’m going to try them out and see what happens.

Thanks again

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Ok guys, so I ended up just cutting the knob (couldn’t find a punch) which was easy with a carpenters knife, the somewhat difficult part was removing the plastic that’s left on from the inside of the knob that’s wrapped around the bar.

Took a little extra time but I managed to cut enough to fit my pliers in to hold the bar and the screw finally came undone.

Thanks for everyone’s help and input but just got some related questions.

The screws for the knobs, can they be purchased anywhere or are they specific screws?
I know you can buy reel related stuff off hedgehog studios etc but I’m in Canada so wondering if there’s anything local that sells them.

I noticed the ones on the megabass handle were shorter than the ones on my IP79 so I ended up having to use them but obviously need a replacement for that damaged screw.

Also do you guys recommend I use locktite and will that give me a hard time in the future when removing the one knob because I know the bar will spin again?

And one more thing, every time I’ve swapped knobs I always put those spacers back but I can never get the knobs to spin again, but when I remove those spacers, they do.
Are the spacers that important?

Thanks again guys!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:43 pm

The spacers are there to eliminate in and out play of the knob on the shaft. Too many spacers and the knob will not spin freely. It has to be just right.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:43 pm
The spacers are there to eliminate in and out play of the knob on the shaft. Too many spacers and the knob will not spin freely. It has to be just right.
Ah I see.
I always copy what I take off so if there’s one on the top and then one on the bottom, I do the same but can never get it to spin normally. Always seems stiff.
Only time it spins good is if I just remove the spacers.

Can removing them cause any problems?

Thanks for help!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Nope

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler