Tatula Elite vs Steez A

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula Elite vs Steez A

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:35 am

I was reading through comments on another post and was curious, are the Steez A and tatula elite similar enough that the steez A isn't worth the extra money? Or are the parts lower quality inside the tatula?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula Elite vs Steez A

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:45 am

I can't tell too much of a difference, to be honest. The Steez is more refined, like the thumb bar and stuff, but I can't say it's $150-$200 more refined.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:14 am

If you're paying jdm prices , the steez is well worth it imo.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:41 pm

tywithay wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:45 am
I can't tell too much of a difference, to be honest. The Steez is more refined, like the thumb bar and stuff, but I can't say it's $150-$200 more refined.
:-k

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 pm

tywithay wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:45 am
Well I think I may have to pick up a second elite then.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:19 pm

The parts on the elite may not be on par with the Steez A but the performance is. The elite long cast is a power fishing dream.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm

steez a also has a recessed side plate dial which I prefer. stock spool isn't anything special but it isnt bad. i put the steez svtw spool in them and it's a dream to fish with. it's definitely a more refined reel (The A)but if you're looking for a value, the elite would probably be up your alley though I'm not wild about it.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:34 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm
steez a also has a recessed side plate dial which I prefer. stock spool isn't anything special but it isnt bad. i put the steez svtw spool in them and it's a dream to fish with. it's definitely a more refined reel (The A)but if you're looking for a value, the elite would probably be up your alley though I'm not wild about it.
I've got an brand new elite on the way and just picked up a barely used steez A for a little more so I'll get to check them both out.

Any idea if the zillion SV tw spool would be similar to the steez sv tw spool in the steez A?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:52 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:34 pm
iabass8 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm
I've got an brand new elite on the way and just picked up a barely used steez A for a little more so I'll get to check them both out.

Any idea if the zillion SV tw spool would be similar to the steez sv tw spool in the steez A?
kinda.it's a good spool.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 am

I am so impressed with the new Tat SV that my heavy investment in 34mm spools is the only thing that would get me to buy another higher-end Daiwa reel for general use. The Steezes I have (A and SVTW) are very nice reels but the point of diminishing returns kicks in very very quickly for me.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm

I am super impressed with my Daiwa Coastal SV TW as well so far! Smootheness is def on the same level as my Steez A and Steez SV TW.

Of course the later are already a couple of years old. So one would need to see how the new Tatula's behave over time.

Looking forward to get my other Tatulas now and compare! :)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:52 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm
I am super impressed with my Daiwa Coastal SV TW as well so far! Smootheness is def on the same level as my Steez A and Steez SV TW.

Of course the later are already a couple of years old. So one would need to see how the new Tatula's behave over time.

Looking forward to get my other Tatulas now and compare! :)
My newTat SV is on a rod that will see rough use and the muddiest water you can think of, so I hope to know sooner rather than later how it holds up. I have kept it internally stock, never even cracked it open to look and check lube.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Just got both the elite and new sv today. Both look and feel awesome.

The elites finish looks very close to my steez A and feels solid. Feels as smooth as the steez (without line and I haven't fished the elite yet). I haven't taken either apart and looked at the internal parts, but for the price difference in happy with the tatula elite based on just unboxing and handling the reel. If it fishes anywhere close to the steez A I'll be happy.

The sv feels good in my hands as well and is also smooth (again, right out of the box without line and I haven't fished it yet). I like the finish of the elite better but that is just personal preference and I usually like flat black and blacked out things better (the thumb bar and handle but retainers are black plastic on the elite vs. the silver parts on the sv and shinier finish). My son was very happy with the sv and he thought it looked better than the elite so it worked out the way I hoped it would.

Putting the elite next to my steez A im not seeing $200 difference, but I'll have to wait until the lakes are open to see how they compare on the water.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Finally got my SV today. It's pouring rain so I can't walk down to the lake, but it feels pretty good in the house. One thing I noticed immediately is the thumb bar looks way better, but the frame color and drag star look better on the Elite. I'll have to try to source a couple of the gunmetal thumb bars for the Elites.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

tywithay wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Finally got my SV today. It's pouring rain so I can't walk down to the lake, but it feels pretty good in the house. One thing I noticed immediately is the thumb bar looks way better, but the frame color and drag star look better on the Elite. I'll have to try to source a couple of the gunmetal thumb bars for the Elites.
I agree about the thumb bar looking better on the sv but the finish on the elite looking better.