KastKing

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

KastKing

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Does anyone have one?
I’ve seen this particular brand all over YouTube but no personal experience with the brand. Is it better than my TDZ type r+ or shimano 50e ?
What’s it a direct competitor of ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: KastKing

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Black Max, Lews ect. They are cheap China reels for the most part with a few platforms from one of the bigger Korean OEMs. Some of those cheaper china platforms made for a pretty decent sub $40 reel. Their thing was that they were a decent reel at a super low price point. Once they cost as much as a normal reel there is no point to them. Just another subpar non-daiwa non-shimano offering in a sea of such offerings.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:12 am

I'm guilty, I have I think 5 of them. I bought them a few years ago. I'm not sure why I bought them, I guess I was sort of intrigued by the hype and their glossy graphics. I figured that it would be a great thing if I could use that $50 Assassin reel instead of having to buy those spendy Steez and Pixies.

I bought 2 of the Assassins, a white ABU TORO knockoff, a black something or other and a Sharky II spinning reel.
I put one of the the Assassins on a ML ABU Villain and tried 4 or 5 casts with a 1/4 weight.....End of experiment.

I guess if someone was on a severe budget you could fish with it, but there is no way that I, when staring at the rod rack, am ever going to say to myself," Geez, maybe today I'll just leave the TD-Zs and Steez home today and use the KastKings" So there is nothing there for me...except that the little Sharky II spinning reel isn't too bad.

Admittedly I don't use spinning gear all that much other than for Crappie and some Walleye type stuff. All of my spinning reels are Pflueger Presidents and Daiwa Revos, so the Kastking sort of fits in with what I'm used too. The guys with the high end spinning gear would be underwhelmed I'm pretty sure.

I do have a pair of cheap Daiwa Laguna bait-casters as well. They are also $50 reels, but they blow the KastKings away IMO. So even if a guy was broke, I think you could still do better than the KastKing stuff. I just have those brand new KK sitting in a drawer at this point. I should probably donate them or sell them off or something because I'll never really use them.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 am

"Made in China" no thanks