Do you keep back up reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Do you keep back up reel

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm

I keep a few new reels in back-up for future use. Do you?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do you keep back up reel

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:41 pm

Ummm...kinda??

They are more like bench player that are suited up and ready to play. Not really sitting in a box or in an unfishable state.

I have reels that are multi-purpose and can cover gaps if I sell a reel or unwillingly sacrifice a combo to Neptune (goes overboard).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:12 pm

I personally don’t I tend to try and buy multiples in the same reel so if need be I can move around But in general once I get a combo set I don’t like to mess with it and leave as is.

I do keep an extra spool or 2 on hand

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:33 pm

I have “backup” reels (usually if the same kind) for techniques where I switch between straight fluoro and braid-to-leader. Mostly cranking reels. And I have two Curado 70s for t-rigs I switch between right now (one with heavier line) depending on whether I fish around or through tules. I feel like it’s a luxury, though.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 pm

I'm guilty of this :oops: and I often end up using the "backups" to test with other lines and rods.

Funny you posted this subject, I was literally just going through my gear trying to organize it and realized I may have a few too many and should probably start selling some of it clear to up some space :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:42 pm

I should add that I like to try different tackle so, stuff doesnt spend a ton of time with me.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 am

When I find a reel that I really like, I will purchase another to keep on hand. One, they are good for having an extra spool. Two, they are good for having extra parts just in case.
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am

Do you mean duplicates of a reel we use regularly or by backups do you mean just extra reels laying around that may not be our first choices (like say budget reels) that we keep in case something happens to one of our regular reels?

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:25 am

Yes. I have 13 reels unopened in the box. Most of them I picked up when on sale. Like when Plat had the Daiwa presso ltd on sale for 50% off. I picked up three of them. I bought a good many of Daiwa's sv103 when they were discontinued. They are one of my favorite reels.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am
Do you mean duplicates of a reel we use regularly or by backups do you mean just extra reels laying around that may not be our first choices (like say budget reels) that we keep in case something happens to one of our regular reels?
Duplicates

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 pm

My backup reels are reels that have been “retired”. I keep the best ones Cleaned, lubed and spooled, ready to go if needed.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Freshwater fishing, not at all. These reels don’t need a lot of maintenance after use so really no need.

Saltwater is a different story. Reels need much more frequent maintenance and, at least for me, get used a lot more than my freshwater gear. So I keep a backup around for when I have a reel broken down for maintenance and I know I’ll be fishing that day.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:34 am

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm
Nope, but I do seem to always have a few reels sitting around that are waiting to find their soulmate of a rod and I guess as far as that goes, a few rods sitting around waiting to find their perfect reel.

Oh.. and I guess a few that were too good of deals to pass up that I am rehabbing or updating..But back up no. Once I find the rod for a given reel it pretty much lives there.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:46 pm

noc10 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:34 am
Johnny A wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm
Nope, but I do seem to always have a few reels sitting around that are waiting to find their soulmate of a rod and I guess as far as that goes, a few rods sitting around waiting to find their perfect reel.

Oh.. and I guess a few that were too good of deals to pass up that I am rehabbing or updating..But back up no. Once I find the rod for a given reel it pretty much lives there.
Not back up, per se. Mine are a lot like this gentleman's. A few extra reels due to super deals. A few rods that as yet have no reel on them. I don't change reels on a rod very often. Once I find a combo I like, it pretty much stays that way. I have bought more reels of a line that I like. Alphas, Sol, Fuego, Patriarch XT, Primmus Xi HS, Helios Air, TD-Z 105H, SV103.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:49 am

Yep, I sure do. ..when I find a favorite reel at a great sale price, I'll buy a second for sure... sometimes a third.