Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Blue springs, MO.

Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by lil_man72 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello, just wondering if there's options out there to get the weight down on these reels.. I have metaniums with aluminum gears and no issues so figured I'd see if there's aluminum gears for the k frame since i have a k dc and scorpion

User avatar
Slazmo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Just chuck a Met main gear in. That'll take 11 odd grams out.

User avatar
lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Blue springs, MO.

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by lil_man72 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Didn't know if they'd fit.. Looks like I'll have to try anyway since i have both.. I mainly tore into daiwa reels back in the day.. And a few revos.. Shimanos are new to me

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:14 am

The reverse is a common swap. Curado K main gear into a met.

ska4fun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:12 am

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by ska4fun » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:44 pm

lil_man72 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:57 pm
Hello, just wondering if there's options out there to get the weight down on these reels.. I have metaniums with aluminum gears and no issues so figured I'd see if there's aluminum gears for the k frame since i have a k dc and scorpion
Don't do it. Shimano has serious issues over it's duraluminium quality, viz the metanium main gear problems. Too much frail.

User avatar
lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Blue springs, MO.

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by lil_man72 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 am

Ok i may still give it a go.. I've never had a problem with aluminum gears except in old alphas that had years of use..
I also run a lighter drag than some and use the rod to fight the fish and not just yank and crank like some..

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 am

You can make your Curado K ever so slightly lighter weight for the low low cost of all of your smoothness. :lol:

It's worth a shot. Just keep the original main gear incase the new one turns into a coffee grinder on you.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 am

Personally I have gladly added a little weight to a dozen baitcasters I own to swap out the aluminum main gear for one in brass. The increase in the smoothness of the retrieve, the reduction in the need for relubing, and the increase in the life of the reel itself, more than make up for the small increase in weight. It's not like we're talking spool weight, or anything else that would affect casting. And I've fished reels over 8 oz. for years, so moving up from 6.7 oz. to 7.5 oz. is no big deal. To me, it's still a really light weight reel.

User avatar
Slazmo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by Slazmo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Like you Mark I'm happy to add weight. I'm still looking for that brass main gear to add to my cinder block weight Calais DC...

Brass gears - accept no substitutes. I'd even go steel on brass if it was an option like the old Abu's.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 am
Location: Rockford IL

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Taking that weight off will throw the balance up the rod more negating the weight difference. :roll:
A heavier balanced combo is better than a lighter unbalanced rig.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Taking that weight off will throw the balance up the rod more negating the weight difference. :roll:
A heavier balanced combo is better than a lighter unbalanced rig.
I typically balance my setups right in the middle of the reel seat, so the weight of the reel isn't that critical. Given that a lighter overall setup is easier to fish all day, we're not talking pounds here, and once the rod is balanced, there is no real strain when I fish it.

ska4fun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:12 am

Re: Does the Curado K or DC have an aluminum gear options

Post by ska4fun » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 pm
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Taking that weight off will throw the balance up the rod more negating the weight difference. :roll:
A heavier balanced combo is better than a lighter unbalanced rig.
I typically balance my setups right in the middle of the reel seat, so the weight of the reel isn't that critical. Given that a lighter overall setup is easier to fish all day, we're not talking pounds here, and once the rod is balanced, there is no real strain when I fish it.
Perfect! Such a small gain on cutting weight doesn't outweigh the benefits of a more trustable gearing.

Post Reply