spool weights

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

spool weights

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:32 am

Since lighter spools really increase the weight range of the baits a reel can cast, why don't the major manufacturers offer lighter spools on all their new reels?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: spool weights

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 pm

Durability?

I guess they have a fine line between weight savings and warranty issues with muppets putting on 50lb nylon etc so tightly that they will ultimately distort.

You get people talking about weird noises on their reels and spools rubbing intermittently.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: spool weights

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:43 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 pm
Durability?

I guess they have a fine line between weight savings and warranty issues with muppets putting on 50lb nylon etc so tightly that they will ultimately distort.

You get people talking about weird noises on their reels and spools rubbing intermittently.
I have some 10 year old reels with 10 gram stock spools that I fish hard with 50-65lb braid, and I've never had a problem. Are lighter spools that much harder to manufacture?