'12 Aldebaran BFS vs '15 Aldebaran BFS Limited

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

'12 Aldebaran BFS vs '15 Aldebaran BFS Limited

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am

Does anybody have experience with both of these reels and have one they prefer? I have an Eiger Northwall that needs a reel and upon searching for one these reels caught my eye. Given that there is a significant price difference between the 2 I wanted to get some insight before I spend some cash. I'll be throwing 10-15lb braid to a FC leader and I have heard some stories of braid potentially collapsing the "honeycomb" style spools. Any info would be appreciated.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: '12 Aldebaran BFS vs '15 Aldebaran BFS Limited

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:11 am

Been a while but, both are pretty decent reels. The 15 is better at the really light stuff. I view the 12 as more of a power BFS reel compared to todays offerings.

Really depends on the price and the size lures. If you you plan on consistently theowing below 1/8oz total weight , Id opt for the 15. The 12 can do it but, not as good as the 15.

Both the 12 and 15 palm ridiculously well. I have a 12 still and, I am torn between using it in the power BFS role it has been in or moving it to my jig reel or light flipping reel.

I have never had problems with braid on any spool. Just dont hero hookset in heavy cover with the drag locked.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:13 am

Braid has no stretch, so it's less likely to damage a fragile spool. Mono and flouro both stretch, which compreses the spool. A few loops wont hurt, but the problem is when several loops are reeled onto the spool under a load, as happens when a fish hits at the end of a cast. This is what damages bfs spools.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:46 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:11 am
Been a while but, both are pretty decent reels. The 15 is better at the really light stuff. I view the 12 as more of a power BFS reel compared to todays offerings.

Really depends on the price and the size lures. If you you plan on consistently theowing below 1/8oz total weight, Id opt for the 15. The 12 can do it but, not as good as the 15.

Both the 12 and 15 palm ridiculously well. I have a 12 still and, I am torn between using it in the power BFS role it has been in or moving it to my jig reel or light flipping reel.

I have never had problems with braid on any spool. Just dont hero hookset in heavy cover with the drag locked.
Appreciate the info- it will be mainly used for drop shot(3/8oz-1/2oz) and neds(1/4oz) so I'm definitely leaning toward the '12 as it's much cheaper and I rarely throw either or anything 1/8oz or less. I have 4 reels in that same platform and I agree they palm very well and are comfortable. I didn't think a BFS reel would have enough drag(3.5kg=7.71lb) to drive a jig home but that's interesting you mentioned that- have you had any issues with losing fish when it comes to jigs/light flipping? No hero hooksets as I use 7-10lb leader and I'll be using a short and light rod. :lol:
Last edited by MCROUT14 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:13 am
Braid has no stretch, so it's less likely to damage a fragile spool. Mono and flouro both stretch, which compreses the spool. A few loops wont hurt, but the problem is when several loops are reeled onto the spool under a load, as happens when a fish hits at the end of a cast. This is what damages bfs spools.
Makes sense- I always fish braid to a FC leader so I don't see that being a problem. Appreciate the info- the last thing I want to do is spend that kind of cash and collapse the spool.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm

2012 bfs xg is the best bfs reel for NA imo. handles braid, super palmable, solid design, and handles 1/8 to 1/2 just fine.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:05 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm
2012 bfs xg is the best bfs reel for NA imo. handles braid, super palmable, solid design, and handles 1/8 to 1/2 just fine.

Looks like I’m going ‘12- might have to dress it up like you did- I feel it’s only right!