Quantum Icon PT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quantum Icon PT

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:46 am

I know there are a few members here that have them. I snagged one on a Ebay bid, and for only $44. Lol. I figured why not, since I like the Smoke Speed Freak I have. I've read some online reviews that seem to be mixed, but for what I paid, I cant complain, even if I dont like it. If you have one and been using it, can I have some thoughts? Thanks.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Quantum Icon PT

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:24 pm

I bought three left handed 7:1 Icon's from TW, when they were on sale a little over a year ago. I use them for my punching/flipping setups, and they have held up well so far. Biggest fish so far on one was 5+, but lots of 3s and 4s, so they did get used. They have a brass main gear, which is what interested me in the first place, and they feel as smooth now as when they were new.
They are heavier than the advertised 6.7 oz, but I don't mind, since I balance all my rods anyway, so I don't even notice it.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:54 am

So I got the Icon PT in the mail yesterday. Took it home and pulled the sideplate off to check out the internals. Brass gears, dual supported pinion gear, brass crankshaft, dual bearing supported crankshaft, and smooth as hell. Im actually pretty impressed with this reel, especially for what I paid for it. :lol: I made a stupid bid on another one thinking someone is gonna outbid it anyways, but I ended up winning it. So, now I have a spare spool, and spare parts. :lol:
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:54 am
So I got the Icon PT in the mail yesterday. Took it home and pulled the sideplate off to check out the internals. Brass gears, dual supported pinion gear, brass crankshaft, dual bearing supported crankshaft, and smooth as hell. Im actually pretty impressed with this reel, especially for what I paid for it. :lol: I made a stupid bid on another one thinking someone is gonna outbid it anyways, but I ended up winning it. So, now I have a spare spool, and spare parts. :lol:
I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
That's what I found, too.
The same thing for the Vapor PT. I got two off ebay for $80+-. Great reels for the money.

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 am

I had a lot of Quantum reels up to now , starting with old bulky blue Tour, KVD Tour, Exo , Tor MG, Smoke HD, Vapor, Smoke S3 KVD and …Icon ….
I am not a fan Quantum, but always liked the easy and unique feel of engaging a Quantum clutch , and always curious what they offer….
Good reels in general , doing their job , but always a step behind the 3 big : daiwa ,shimano and ABU (not necessarily in this order)
Aluminum gears becoming quickly noisy , although a great patented centrifugal breaking …not enough brake settings, not a decent BFS in their line up , made in China ….etc
However in spite of this cons….they always priced their reels fair ….with sales campaigns offering the possibility to acquire at half listing price ….unlike the big 3 …
Metanium , a400 $ reel with aluminum gears becoming noisy after few fishing days….STEEZ with plastic pawl nut problems …..etc
Starting with Smoke HD and S3 generation I can say that things are changing with their reels …in better
Smoke HD has already 2 seasons and while aluminum gears , I still smooth like new.
Icon with brass gears has one season , casts a mile and smooth like butter ….awesome….
With the spool of the Vapor , Icon can cast even small spoons of 5 gr….
Bought on sales at around 50 $....great reel !
The only cons….is that I found in the Icon -the pawl is …plastic!…is the first time I found plastic pawl in a reel..…, although no problem landing fish up to now it didn’t provide much confidence…..Will see….

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 am

maibinenu wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 am
I had a lot of Quantum reels up to now , starting with old bulky blue Tour, KVD Tour, Exo , Tor MG, Smoke HD, Vapor, Smoke S3 KVD and …Icon ….
I am not a fan Quantum, but always liked the easy and unique feel of engaging a Quantum clutch , and always curious what they offer….
Good reels in general , doing their job , but always a step behind the 3 big : daiwa ,shimano and ABU (not necessarily in this order)
Aluminum gears becoming quickly noisy , although a great patented centrifugal breaking …not enough brake settings, not a decent BFS in their line up , made in China ….etc
However in spite of this cons….they always priced their reels fair ….with sales campaigns offering the possibility to acquire at half listing price ….unlike the big 3 …
Metanium , a400 $ reel with aluminum gears becoming noisy after few fishing days….STEEZ with plastic pawl nut problems …..etc
Starting with Smoke HD and S3 generation I can say that things are changing with their reels …in better
Smoke HD has already 2 seasons and while aluminum gears , I still smooth like new.
Icon with brass gears has one season , casts a mile and smooth like butter ….awesome….
With the spool of the Vapor , Icon can cast even small spoons of 5 gr….
Bought on sales at around 50 $....great reel !
The only cons….is that I found in the Icon -the pawl is …plastic!…is the first time I found plastic pawl in a reel..…, although no problem landing fish up to now it didn’t provide much confidence…..Will see….
I agree. Quantum has had an up and down history, but they are definitely on the upswing.
I was first attracted to them because of their externally adjustable brakes, back in 2000 if memory serves. While other manufs. offered, they were twice the price.
I always liked the bearing between the handle and the anti-reverse bearing. I think it really protects the AR bearing, which would otherwise take the brunt of the hard cranking load when fighting a fish.
They have two bearings per knob in all of their 11 bearing reels, and one on the prawl shaft. I've never had a problem with an 11 bearing reel of theirs.
And they have always had strong drags.
The brass main gear of the Icon fits both the original Burner, and the Vapor, so the annoying aluminum bear grind is gone. I only have to grease my main gears a couple of times a year now, when I oil their bearings.
In between the original Energy reels and today's reels have been some not-so-good reels, like the blue ones whose brake control dial was so high it got unintentionally readjusted when you palmed the reel.
But, by and large, they have offered good reels at fair prices.
And their original Smoke Burner reels have a 10 gram spool stock, so they can throw 1/4 oz stuff easily, with the right rod.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

I have eight Icons. For the $45-$50 I paid for them brand new in the box I love em. They have been workhorses with zero issues and I don't baby them either.