Antares A Casting Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Antares A Casting Reel

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm
The reel is a casting beast but I used the combo with 120 dou realis and some other stuff. I’d like to know whose used the reel with braid? I am thinking about going in that direction
I‘m using the reel for European perch fishing with 8lb Sunline Asegai braid on a medium power rod. 2 brakes on, mostly varying from 1/4 to 3/4 on the external dial to adjust for the lure. Spool tension set to eliminate side to side play. I could go down to 1 brake and go higher on the dial for the heavier more aerodynamic lures but re-adjusting for quickly putting a small lure in the snap wouldn’t be as quick.
Thrown from Pointer 65 to 3/4oz AliExpress Deracoup copies. A little finicky to find the optimal adjustment on the dial with these small hardbaits and I’d say my Aldebaran handles these better and definitely further. But if there’s any lead involved from a 3/16oz jighead + 3“ keitech up... that results in a launch to the horizon without having to pay any attention or thumbing.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:35 pm

This IS one bad reel. I’ve been backing off and playing with this reel when it happened. I made a cast and while the lure was in the air I saw the line peeling off the reel and I walked inside the house and fixed me a sandwich and a cup of coffee. I then proceeded to go back outside while the lure was in its final decent.

This is one b/a reel
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 pm

gefrank wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:32 pm
All my casting reels are premodded and preserviced with ZPI bearings and my prefer grease blend. They end up smooth cranking but with little resistance (spin for days on freeload) and i have 5 of such *reels all except for my Antares Mgl.

-*Reels -
Bantam MGL
14 Conquest
16 Zillion HLC
Zillion JDream
Abu BF8

The Antares has the fastest spool out of the box. It's stock bearings surpasses any after market bearings i've tried and i've been servicing quite alot of my mates reels.
Usually my brake settings are bear minimun
1 brake block on Svs or 1-4 on Magforce.
But the antares is a whole other demon, It's barely tamed at 2 brake blocks. still alot of potential.

The Antares MGL does NOT require Upgrading

How’s the bantam mgl compare to the Antares? I have a bantam but I have been wanting to try the Antares.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:42 pm

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 pm
gefrank wrote:
All my casting reels are premodded and preserviced with ZPI bearings and my prefer grease blend. They end up smooth cranking but with little resistance (spin for days on freeload) and i have 5 of such *reels all except for my Antares Mgl.

-*Reels -
Bantam MGL
14 Conquest
16 Zillion HLC
Zillion JDream
Abu BF8

The Antares has the fastest spool out of the box. It's stock bearings surpasses any after market bearings i've tried and i've been servicing quite alot of my mates reels.
But the antares is a whole other demon, It's barely tamed at 2 brake blocks. still alot of potential.

How’s the bantam mgl compare to the Antares? I have a bantam but I have been wanting to try the Antares.

For me there isn’t a comparison.
The MGL is like a rhinoceros. A blind but a brute no less ( not sure they are blind but I have read that they have poor eyesight)
The Antares is like a elephant but in snow boots. you know it’s in your hand but have to look down to make sure the spool is turning when you turn the handle.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:42 pm
..... but have to look down to make sure the spool is turning when you turn the handle.
Not to highjack this thread, but the Steez CT is the same way. I got the impression that the drag was backed all the way off and the spool wasn't even turning, then realized the drag would be clicking if that were the case.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm
goldrod wrote:
..... but have to look down to make sure the spool is turning when you turn the handle.
Not to highjack this thread, but the Steez CT is the same way. I got the impression that the drag was backed all the way off and the spool wasn't even turning, then realized the drag would be clicking if that were the case.
Tim it’s all good.
I think there are a lot of similarities between the two reels and I keep hearing how they with the exception of weight are neck and neck.
That being said, I moved some things around and on a 7’4” St croix LE
The ANT is perfection exemplified. The combo has revived me and put a new song in my repertoire! So much so that I’m considering selling a recent rod purchase.
I know that the Steez CT has it beat in the weight department but I’d be interested in seeing how the two reels stack up in a TTDOTCOM shoot out.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Wish I could get a left hand in the states.

gefrank
Angler
Angler

Post by gefrank » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:21 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 pm
gefrank wrote:

-*Reels -
Bantam MGL
14 Conquest
16 Zillion HLC
Zillion JDream
Abu BF8

Honestly i prefer the Bantam over the Antares. Both of em casts quite a distance and can handle light to heavy lures. My only issue is in order to cast the antares smoothly it has to be on 4 brake blocks even with a trained thumb. It feels like im losing alot of potential distance if i cant make it work with 1 brake block like all my other reels.

Now im wondering if its gonna be the same with the 2020 Metanium since its MGL III or are they gonna "slow it down abit"

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:44 am

gefrank wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:21 am
...My only issue is in order to cast the antares smoothly it has to be on 4 brake blocks even with a trained thumb....
You must have recieved a janky Antares. I'm a Daiwa trained caster, the Antares is my first Shimano. I can cast with 2 blocks, in a variety of lure ranges, all day long, without issue...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:16 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:44 am
gefrank wrote:
...My only issue is in order to cast the antares smoothly it has to be on 4 brake blocks even with a trained thumb....
You must have recieved a janky Antares. I'm a Daiwa trained caster, the Antares is my first Shimano. I can cast with 2 blocks, in a variety of lure ranges, all day long, without issue...
YEAH...Yours must be JANKY. Janky janky

I don’t have four brake blocks on and I don’t have to whip it either
It’s not been tuned or modified I’d be interested in knowing what rod you have paired with it

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:50 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:16 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:
gefrank wrote:

It’s not been tuned or modified I’d be interested in knowing what rod you have paired with it
If you recall Goldie, you set up my Antares the first time I had it on the water. I havent opened the sideplate since!
ID Paradox 7603, Studio Composite Backlash Special Edition 88x25L handle, Varivas Monster PE SI-X Vamos PE3 (not pictured)
rsz_non-janky.jpg
rsz_non-janky.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:54 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:50 pm
goldrod wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:16 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:
gefrank wrote:

If you recall Goldie, you set up my Antares the first time I had it on the water. I havent opened the sideplate since!
ID Paradox 7603, Studio Composite Backlash Special Edition 88x25L handle, Varivas Monster PE SI-X Vamos PE3 (not pictured)
rsz_non-janky.jpg

Without a doubt man I remember
I thought about it and had to pull the trigger. It was a good day out there too
Haven’t had a day like that in a while. Thanks again for the company

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:17 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Tim it’s all good.
I think there are a lot of similarities between the two reels and I keep hearing how they with the exception of weight are neck and neck.
The ANT is perfection exemplified. The combo has revived me and put a new song in my repertoire! So much so that I’m considering selling a recent rod purchase.
I know that the Steez CT has it beat in the weight department but I’d be interested in seeing how the two reels stack up in a TTDOTCOM shoot out.
goldrod,

Send me your Antares A and I will make it happen. An unofficial TTDOTCOM shoot out but, good enough. Same line, same rod, same lures...one winner.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:17 pm
goldrod wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Tim it’s all good.
goldrod,

Send me your Antares A and I will make it happen. An unofficial TTDOTCOM shoot out but, good enough. Same line, same rod, same lures...one winner.

Sound like a superb idea.
Once I have a scheduled mission I’ll let you know since I’ll be preoccupied with that and not able to fish

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:17 pm
goldrod wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Tim it’s all good.
goldrod,

Sound like a superb idea.
Once I have a scheduled mission I’ll let you know since I’ll be preoccupied with that and not able to fish
You have my number. The harbor (freshwater) near me has been open. Got warm weather coming up. Probably wont catch anything but, I can get out on the water and decide "who is the winner"...at least from my perspective.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing