Your favorite obscure reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Your favorite obscure reels

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:26 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:14 pm
I like my weird Procaster based JDM TD-S. I put a TDZ Type R+ spool in it. Just a nice casting reel with that spool. It looks like Procaster cosplaying as a TD-Z or TD Zillion.
That Procaster you have is likely the predecessor of the next gen TDS/TDX HIA/HVA/HSD/HSDF which was the platform I believe Daiwa built on to create the Zillion. The TDZ was its own idea and dream come to fruition as it literally created the MG LP reel market and revolutionized the bass/FW reel market in general, and of course the Zillion took on the body/frame form of the TDZ but with the workhorse feel and heft of the last iteration of the TDX, the HSDF model.

Kool SCHITE fosho.
I wonder that rather than a predecessor to the TD-X HSDF the JDM TD-S wasn't just a contemporary reel for the JDM market. The platform the USDM righty TD-S and TD-X was never used in Japan, correct? Their righty TD-X is the Air Metal stripped down TD-Z. I think they jazzed up a Procaster with a TD-Z like makeover to make the JDM TD-S righty.

Strange reel for sure but really solidly built and 34mm spools drop in.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:56 pm

tincanary wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 am
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:33 pm
"SM" ~ Silver Max, IIRC?
Yep. Fun fact about these, well the Black Max and Pro Max anyway. They were first released in '91 and predate the Shimano Calcutta. The contemporary Ambassadeur is rooted in this model; the Ultracast spool and drag stack were all firsts for Abu in the OG Black Max and worked their way to the Ambassadeur for the '92 to present models.
Abu used to be the big dog in the reel market, cutting edge tech. The original Daiwa Millionaire was basically a carbon copy of the Ambassadeur 5000

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:56 pm
tincanary wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 am
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:33 pm
"SM" ~ Silver Max, IIRC?
Yep. Fun fact about these, well the Black Max and Pro Max anyway. They were first released in '91 and predate the Shimano Calcutta. The contemporary Ambassadeur is rooted in this model; the Ultracast spool and drag stack were all firsts for Abu in the OG Black Max and worked their way to the Ambassadeur for the '92 to present models.
Abu used to be the big dog in the reel market, cutting edge tech. The original Daiwa Millionaire was basically a carbon copy of the Ambassadeur 5000
Yeppers on both accounts, love the history of our pastime.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:46 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I like my weird Procaster based JDM TD-S. I put a TDZ Type R+ spool in it. Just a nice casting reel with that spool. It looks like Procaster cosplaying as a TD-Z or TD Zillion.
That Procaster you have is likely the predecessor of the next gen TDS/TDX HIA/HVA/HSD/HSDF which was the platform I believe Daiwa built on to create the Zillion. The TDZ was its own idea and dream come to fruition as it literally created the MG LP reel market and revolutionized the bass/FW reel market in general, and of course the Zillion took on the body/frame form of the TDZ but with the workhorse feel and heft of the last iteration of the TDX, the HSDF model.

Kool SCHITE fosho.
I wonder that rather than a predecessor to the TD-X HSDF the JDM TD-S wasn't just a contemporary reel for the JDM market. The platform the USDM righty TD-S and TD-X was never used in Japan, correct? Their righty TD-X is the Air Metal stripped down TD-Z. I think they jazzed up a Procaster with a TD-Z like makeover to make the JDM TD-S righty.

You bring up some great points, especially for the JDM market. I noted the USDM TDS and TDX because I believe the JDM TDS Procaster is some sort of aluminum and not MG? If so, then perhaps this was the JDM version of what was intended for this generation of 34 mm free floating spools. I also think that Daiwa sponsored Pros/tournaments and market analysis also led to the development of the OG TDS/TDX aluminum reels with Mag V (100 sized Mag Z as well).
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:38 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:46 pm
LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Kool SCHITE fosho.

You bring up some great points, especially for the JDM market. I noted the USDM TDS and TDX because I believe the JDM TDS Procaster is some sort of aluminum and not MG? If so, then perhaps this was the JDM version of what was intended for this generation of 34 mm free floating spools. I also think that Daiwa sponsored Pros/tournaments and market analysis also led to the development of the OG TDS/TDX aluminum reels with Mag V (100 sized Mag Z as well).
I think its fairly straightforward once you unravel the mystery. I belive it goes like this from that period.

TD-X right hand:

USDM = own new platform for the US market

JDM = early TD-Z or cheaper TD-Z (unsure which came 1st or if at the same time)

TD-S right hand:

USDM = cheaper variant of the USDM TD-X

JDM = unrelated to the USDM TD-X and based on the procaster platform with new side plates and front plate

TD-X left hand

USDM = flipping frame procaster based. Unrelated to JDM TD-X left hand reels

JDM = aluminum frame TD-Z left hand flipping frame reel. May predate the TD-Z

TD-S left hand

USDM = procaster based flipping frame

JDM = procaster based flipping frame

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:51 am

As far as 34 mm spool compatability goes I think the Procasters from this era just take 103 spool from the TD-Z and Steez. These were Magforce Z and V reels so it was probably just cheaper to use that existing spool dimensions from the TD-Z. This means you can drop a modern Daiwa spool in some janky old Procaster Z from a yard sale. Not sure on the Procaster V. That ones appears to have been a walmart reel. Looks the same as the Procaster Z though.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 am

Not sure if it is obscure enough but, the Daiwa Catalina TW is such a great reel. Basically an in-between of the Zillion TW 1516 and the HD in a way. 4.9 gears, braid-tuned-ish spool, clicking drag when line get peeled out, long handle.

Such a great reel for deep cranking. The pink accents are nice too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am

The yellow pixy. Not obscure on TT, but very obscure in the real world.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:20 pm

Per Japan Tackle

RH TDZ: https://japantackle.com/daiwa-tdz-right ... 7vb2c88kf4

I recall the TDX A.M. coming after the TDZ?
https://japantackle.com/daiwa-tdx.html

I can't find anything on the JDM Procaster based reel. I also owned the USDM TDX HVA and it had a metal drag star and CCC as well...as you noted, what you pictured is the lower tier TDS version.

One thing that just dawned on me, the Team Daiwa X 1300i spinning reel I have (and noted to bump this post back up), is about the same era as your JDM Procaster, and the styling cues appear to be "congruent".

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:20 pm
Per Japan Tackle

I can't find anything on the JDM Procaster based reel. I also owned the USDM TDX HVA and it had a metal drag star and CCC as well...as you noted, what you pictured is the lower tier TDS version.

One thing that just dawned on me, the Team Daiwa X 1300i spinning reel I have (and noted to bump this post back up), is about the same era as your JDM Procaster, and the styling cues appear to be "congruent".
The TD-Z was really ahead of its time when you think about it. Compare it to anything from 1998 or the early 2000s and the TD-Z is so much more modern. To this day it will rival the best modern light weight baitcast reels. You could probably fish a Zillion 1000 and TD-Z Type R+ interchangeably and not notice that much of a difference in casting, palming and weight.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:08 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 am
dragon1 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:20 pm
Per Japan Tackle

The TD-Z was really ahead of its time when you think about it. Compare it to anything from 1998 or the early 2000s and the TD-Z is so much more modern. To this day it will rival the best modern light weight baitcast reels. You could probably fish a Zillion 1000 and TD-Z Type R+ interchangeably and not notice that much of a difference in casting, palming and weight.
Yep, the main difference in today's iterations with Daiwa is gear ratio availability and smoother/more buttery feeling gears versus the prior Gen noted for a smooth but mechanically precise and connected feel. Essentially most all of today's Daiwas have the OG Zillion gear mesh feel when cranking.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 pm
I recently got a cheap Pflueger Patriarch PAT71LPX and ended up liking it a lot. Pflueger baitcasters are rather obscure to me, but in the lower high-end range (where I think it falls) it's pretty awesome!

Light (6.3oz), dual brakes, good spool size (~12/140, I got 100 yards of 40lbs Maxcuatro on it), good line retrieve even at the lower gear ratio (29 inches), 20lbs of drag. The handles are a bit meaty, replaced those with Abu Garcia EVA knobs (of course those will fit :lol:). Got this reel for $110, I guess they're being discontinued and you can get deals at various places.

Initially I was happy but not super impressed (or having fun) with this reel; it felt a bit grainy even after greasing it through the lube port, and casting distance was barely average. But completely disassembling the reel and cleaning/re-greasing everything made a difference. (I found some left-over metal shavings from manufacturing that were to blame - not great, but if you do your own reel maintenance anyway it's not a huge deal.) Now it runs smoothly and casts better, as well. Don't expect to make bomber casts with it, the spool has too much inertia. But I get average distance.

Currently got it paired with a Powell Endurance 733, and I have no doubt I'll put one on my 843 GLX when I get that rod back. I used it to throw smaller jigs, 1oz Dark Sleepers and a 3/4oz Jackhammer chatterbait and... I dunno, it's just fun to use! The combo feels so light and airy that it might as well be a toy, but it's not. It's powerful and fights fish well.

Whether you agree might depend on how partial you are to Abu Garcia reels (I generally am). This feels like a $200 MSRP reel that was designed as a "smart choice" to compete with $300 reels in the marketplace, and it totally does that. I'd pick the Patriarch over a Revo SX (obviously!) and even a Revo Premier. It beats Curados for me, as well. (Maybe even a Chronach? Hmm...probably not if I got both at the same price, but at this crazy price difference: definitely). I was having such a good time that I just ordered two more (also got those at ~1/2 of MSRP).
I don't know who made the Patriarch XT, but I have 3 of the older blue models. I like them a lot. Can run them with lighter brakes than any other reel I own other than a Magforce 3D reel, and they (Magforce 3D) have some braking force even when everything is set at the lowest setting. I also bought a Patriarch and a Supreme XT when Pflueger was closing them out. Still new in box. Couldn't pass up 60% off. :big grin:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am

I don't know if this qualifies as obscure, but my Chronarch 50MG reels were/are amazing. I stopped fishing them because I moved up to the CA Delta, and I didn't think they would hold up to the heavier line and cover up here.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... h50mg.html

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am
The yellow pixy. Not obscure on TT, but very obscure in the real world.
Had that and an Airy Red. Key word HAD... ](*,)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16 pm

Some good ones here Gents.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Catalina when Tackle Trap had that special blow out on them, but I held out for another Z2020H, which I was able to procure.