Daiwa Steez Air 2020

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Steez Air 2020

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez Air 2020

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 pm

So is mine. It's screaming thank you for having no interest in this reel!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:17 pm

I think with this new micro sized spool they need a new super duper ultra lightweight solid tipped ags rod to go with it...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 pm
I'm with you, Mark. That thing is bordering on hideous. :sick: And for $645, it needs a carbon handle, corks and something besides a plastic drag star. ](*,)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:56 pm

seems like there was no budget left for machining on the handle... budget reels huh 😂😂

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:31 pm

I hate how it looks but I already know im going to buy one

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:20 pm

I have no interest in this reel given the line capacity and that the regular ct goes as low weight wise as I will ever need with good distance.

But, regarding looks that seem to be disliked by most, I think it might surprise people in person or with better pictures. I think the all black t-wing and blacked out black end pieces on nobs are nice touches and that non cut handle, if matte, might give it a sinister look. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the oversize vector D.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 pm
That was my first thought. Knowing myself, I will become interested before next summer when trout season kicks in...

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 am

And not sure why they take an extra year to release the 7.1:1 gear ratios.... like they're doing with last year's Steez ct sv tw. Not releasing the popular high gear at the same time is the weirdest trend I've seen from Daiwa in a while.
Glad I'm passing on this one too.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:25 am

Yeah, not a fan of the big logo on the side. Tempting, but I think I can do whatever I need to throw with a ZPI M spool and a Steez A. 😬

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:40 am

I love BFS fishing and in case of moment of inertia of spool can be reduced, it makes BFS fishing even more enjoyable. If momentum of inertia is small, lighter rod can be used. And casting control is better because smaller amount of magnetic brake is enough to control spool. Small diameter of spool is good because it reduces moment of inertia and in addition to that, in similar cast spool turns faster which makes it easier for magnetic brake to work. I really want this new tiny spool, but I'm afraid of this new little Steez is too expensive for me. I really wish Daiwa introduces more reasonable priced reel with this spool. Zillion, Alphas or Pixy..

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:40 am
I love BFS fishing and in case of moment of inertia of spool can be reduced, it makes BFS fishing even more enjoyable. If momentum of inertia is small, lighter rod can be used. And casting control is better because smaller amount of magnetic brake is enough to control spool. Small diameter of spool is good because it reduces moment of inertia and in addition to that, in similar cast spool turns faster which makes it easier for magnetic brake to work. I really want this new tiny spool, but I'm afraid of this new little Steez is too expensive for me. I really wish Daiwa introduces more reasonable priced reel with this spool. Zillion, Alphas or Pixy..
That's the idea behind the 30mm CT SV spools and honestly I haven't seen a whole lot of people raving about them. In fact it seems like a pretty lukewarm reception. One spool people do rave about is the NRC001 and those are simple fixed inductor 34mm spools, so I'm not sure going even smaller is the answer, especially in the bass world. It probably is just to keep people from buying that spool for their CT reel, just like they did with making the Tatula SV 33mm.
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 am
jvelth74 wrote:
That's the idea behind the 30mm CT SV spools and honestly I haven't seen a whole lot of people raving about them. In fact it seems like a pretty lukewarm reception. One spool people do rave about is the NRC001 and those are simple fixed inductor 34mm spools, so I'm not sure going even smaller is the answer, especially in the bass world. It probably is just to keep people from buying that spool for their CT reel, just like they did with making the Tatula SV 33mm.

This may be in part due to low sample size. At the price point, it’s not a very accessible reel to try out, especially if it’s not a niche that ‘needs’ to be filled in one’s arsenal.

I did end up getting one. It is an awesome reel and great spool. However, it did not have impact on my casting compared to existing steez Sv tv with newer zpi spool as compared with something game changing like when sv spools first came out.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 am
jvelth74 wrote:

This may be in part due to low sample size. At the price point, it’s not a very accessible reel to try out, especially if it’s not a niche that ‘needs’ to be filled in one’s arsenal.

I did end up getting one. It is an awesome reel and great spool. However, it did not have impact on my casting compared to existing steez Sv tv with newer zpi spool as compared with something game changing like when sv spools first came out.
What did you end up getting? I'm curious, as I believe my Steez SV TW with Nrc001-m spool is the best caster in my arsenal.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:49 am

Comparing 34 mm Momo spool to 30 mm Roro spool there is significant difference in casting sub 3 g weights. I believe there will be significant difference also in 28 mm vs. 30 mm in lightest fishing. It makes lightest rods more usable in stream fishing because light spool is so responsible.