Getting into BFS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
sjs2002
Angler
Angler

Re: Getting into BFS

Post by sjs2002 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank for all the help everyone! I threw the budget to the backside and ordered an Aldebaran. I couldn't make my mind up what to do so I thought this would be a good buy. I am thinking of putting on 10lb Power Pro braid that is equivalent to 2lb mono diameter. Are there better choices for line while trying to maintain capacity? Thanks again!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:28 am

Power Pro’s are noisy. And that’s why I don’t like them. Nowadays I have used mostly Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8. I have liked it a lot. Lastly I ordered Daiwa Morethan 12. I still haven’t fished it, but it feels so good that I have already ordered more.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 am

sjs2002 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm
Thank for all the help everyone! I threw the budget to the backside and ordered an Aldebaran. I couldn't make my mind up what to do so I thought this would be a good buy. I am thinking of putting on 10lb Power Pro braid that is equivalent to 2lb mono diameter. Are there better choices for line while trying to maintain capacity? Thanks again!
I like the Sufix Nanobraid. Smooth, quiet and performs well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

sjs2002
Angler
Angler

Post by sjs2002 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I think I will try the NanoBraid. I did a little bit of searching but it is ok to use straight braid without damaging the spool?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:50 am

In my BFS spools with port holes I have spooled directly braid. Because with holes arbor knot can be locked not to slip. Spools without holes I have anchored with bottom mono. Bottom mono doesn't protect spool but it provides friction. Actually one of my spool was adviced not to use mono, because mono can be stretched and theorically it can crush spool. (Of course also strong braid can damage spool.)

sjs2002
Angler
Angler

Post by sjs2002 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:57 am

Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 am

sjs2002 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 pm
I think I will try the NanoBraid. I did a little bit of searching but it is ok to use straight braid without damaging the spool?
I have never had a problem with using braid with BFS reels. Just dont go punching or something like that with them.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:54 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 am
sjs2002 wrote:
I have never had a problem with using braid with BFS reels. Just dont go punching or something like that with them.
Do you prefer braid or fluorocarbon for bfs reels?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:17 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:50 am
In my BFS spools with port holes I have spooled directly braid. Because with holes arbor knot can be locked not to slip. Spools without holes I have anchored with bottom mono. Bottom mono doesn't protect spool but it provides friction. Actually one of my spool was adviced not to use mono, because mono can be stretched and theorically it can crush spool. (Of course also strong braid can damage spool.)
Also, nylon absorbs water and swells which can crush the spool. Since fluoro doesn't do that it's safer to use and the stretch helps protect the spool from shock.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:54 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 am
sjs2002 wrote:
Do you prefer braid or fluorocarbon for bfs reels?
For the lightest lures, I like thin braid. I have been liking 4lb FC as well. I use 7lb Sniper for "traditional" BFS like Ned Rigs and other finesse bass lures.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:17 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:50 am
Also, nylon absorbs water and swells which can crush the spool. Since fluoro doesn't do that it's safer to use and the stretch helps protect the spool from shock.
So either fluoro backing or straight braid and no mono?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am

If shallow bfs spool with portholes, backing it's not needed. Braid with arbor knot + anchor line dead end to portholes. If deeper spool with no holes and braid in use, some kind of anchoring is needed. I have used short mono backing. In light use less than 1 metre. Monofilament (or fluoro) main line I use only in severe freezing conditions if braid freezes line guides in every cast.

sjs2002
Angler
Angler

Post by sjs2002 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Just an update and received my reel today. What a blast! Had a lot of fun fishing with the Aldebaran. Only got to fish with it a short time but was a joy to cast even in 15mph wind with a 1/16oz spinner. Can't wait to fish it more. Caught a nice little bass as my first fish. Would post a pic but dont know how on my phone.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:41 pm

sjs2002 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:15 pm
Just an update and received my reel today. What a blast! Had a lot of fun fishing with the Aldebaran. Only got to fish with it a short time but was a joy to cast even in 15mph wind with a 1/16oz spinner. Can't wait to fish it more. Caught a nice little bass as my first fish. Would post a pic but dont know how on my phone.
Sweet!!! I am glad you enjoy BFS. It is really fun stream fishing. Really get to see the benefits