Alphas sv105

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas sv105

Post by poisonokie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:29 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am
Maybe I'll hold onto it and send it to someone to take it apart and clean it up for me. I bought it for the lure/line weights you suggested and rod power you suggested so it would be nice to get it working right. I'll try to loosen up the spool tension a little bit and use the mag dial more. I don't want to give up on it just yet. I wish I had the guts to take it apart and clean/relube myself. I have no problem working on cars, motorcycles, boats, and guns but for some reason I just have a feeling I'm gonna screw up a reel.
http://www.tackletour.com/articlereelma ... tdsol.html
I knew I'd seen that article! I thought it was about super tuning with a polisher and all that jazz, though.
This is the way.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:29 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am
Maybe I'll hold onto it and send it to someone to take it apart and clean it up for me. I bought it for the lure/line weights you suggested and rod power you suggested so it would be nice to get it working right. I'll try to loosen up the spool tension a little bit and use the mag dial more. I don't want to give up on it just yet. I wish I had the guts to take it apart and clean/relube myself. I have no problem working on cars, motorcycles, boats, and guns but for some reason I just have a feeling I'm gonna screw up a reel.
http://www.tackletour.com/articlereelma ... tdsol.html
I knew I'd seen that article! I thought it was about super tuning with a polisher and all that jazz, though.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtdsolpolishing.html
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll give it a try on my days off. If it doesn't workout you might see a cheap sv105 in the classifieds lol

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:20 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 am
I threw a R+ spring on my SV105 spool for shizs and gigs but before that, I never had a problem throwing lures. I'm not much of a finesse guy, so as you, I usually throw 3/8ths and up and it casts very effortlessly. Sounds like something is going on.
How tight do you set your cast control knob and what is your usual be break setting?
A little late, but my breaks are at 2 and there is a bit of side to side play in the spool. The last lure I was throwing on it was a Bagleys Knocker B, though it weighs in at 5/8.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:42 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:20 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 am
I threw a R+ spring on my SV105 spool for shizs and gigs but before that, I never had a problem throwing lures. I'm not much of a finesse guy, so as you, I usually throw 3/8ths and up and it casts very effortlessly. Sounds like something is going on.
How tight do you set your cast control knob and what is your usual be break setting?
A little late, but my breaks are at 2 and there is a bit of side to side play in the spool. The last lure I was throwing on it was a Bagleys Knocker B, though it weighs in at 5/8.
Thanks. I'll mess with mine later today and see if it works better if I losen the spool tension.

I do know for sure that if the brakes are on 0 that the line on the spool will blow up into a big mess. I did that on accident Saturday.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

I have a pair of sv105’s and they are the wildest SV reels I have tried. I still like them a lot, but they definitely require more thumb if you really want distance.

My bro swapped inductors between his sv105 and sv103 spools and said that it dramatically increased the performance of both. I have yet to do the swap on mine but it’s on the list for this winter.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:35 am

All I did was upgrade the bearings and added the stiffer spring. With a 3/8 jig i set the brakes to 1 with slight movement in the spool. I can easily spool it. Love this little reel.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Yeah, it's a wild reel, no bones about it, especially with fluorocarbon. I think it really needs to be used with braid for pitching or casting baits over a quarter of an ounce. It's freakin' awesome for that stuff, though.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am
I have a pair of sv105’s and they are the wildest SV reels I have tried. I still like them a lot, but they definitely require more thumb if you really want distance.

My bro swapped inductors between his sv105 and sv103 spools and said that it dramatically increased the performance of both. I have yet to do the swap on mine but it’s on the list for this winter.
I thought about doing something similar with swapping inductors with the SS SV 103. I think it would greatly improve the SS, but I figured it might kill the performance of the Alphas. That's funny though. What if Daiwa got the parts #'s crossed and just had to run with it after so many units were produced?
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Yeah, it's a wild reel, no bones about it, especially with fluorocarbon. I think it really needs to be used with braid for pitching or casting baits over a quarter of an ounce. It's freakin' awesome for that stuff, though.
Would mono be better than fluorocarbon too? I don't ever use braid.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 pm
poisonokie wrote:
As long as it's really soft and low memory, I'd say so. I've never used mono on mine.

The problem is that spool is so fast it's hard to manage line that wants to spring off the spool. With braid, a lot of times the loop will fly out of the line guide so fast a backlash doesn't have time to form.
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
As long as it's really soft and low memory, I'd say so. I've never used mono on mine.

The problem is that spool is so fast it's hard to manage line that wants to spring off the spool. With braid, a lot of times the loop will fly out of the line guide so fast a backlash doesn't have time to form.
Well that sounds like a good reason to try braid on this reel to me. What lb braid would be comparable to 10-12lb fluorocarbon?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:24 pm

I use berkley trilene xl smooth casting Monofilament with no problems in my sv105 reels.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:56 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

Well that sounds like a good reason to try braid on this reel to me. What lb braid would be comparable to 10-12lb fluorocarbon?
Well, diameter wise, that's about 30-40, but I'd use 15-20, mayyybe 30, depending on the rod you use.

I have 10# fireline on mine just because that's what I had laying around after my last spool of 10# Invizx blew up from catching a weed or something right when I casted and I actually really like it. It's closer to 15-20# braid in diameter and I use it on a 6'9" regular-fast rod rated for 6-16# line and 3/16-1/2oz lures.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Did you determine if your inductor is sticking? If so, I'd get that sorted out before doing anything else.
This is the way.