Weird incident with reel, but funny.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Weird incident with reel, but funny.

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

mark poulson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 am
toddmc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am
Yes, oil on the friction ring will do some weird things to a reel's casting performance. Shimano makes a great product, but this is yet another example of why I prefer mag braking.
x10
You shouldn’t have to deal with such nonsense!
I have reels that are 15+- years old with centrifugal breaks, and they are still going strong.
It seems to me the newer centrifugal breaking systems are still works in progress.
One thing I cant say about the SLX reel, is that VBS is really nice on that reel. Great update to the proven Shimano brakes.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:50 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am
mark poulson wrote:
toddmc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Yes, oil on the friction ring will do some weird things to a reel's casting performance. Shimano makes a great product, but this is yet another example of why I prefer mag braking.
x10
I have reels that are 15+- years old with centrifugal breaks, and they are still going strong.
It seems to me the newer centrifugal breaking systems are still works in progress.
One thing I cant say about the SLX reel, is that VBS is really nice on that reel. Great update to the proven Shimano brakes.
Are those brakes any better than the old "plastic top hat" brakes that came on my older Shimano reels, like the Chronarch MG50?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:50 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
toddmc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
x10
Are those brakes any better than the old "plastic top hat" brakes that came on my older Shimano reels, like the Chronarch MG50?
Not that I think its any better, if anything the same, just a different design. Non the less, very easy to set and use just like the old design.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm
mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
toddmc wrote:

x10
Not that I think its any better, if anything the same, just a different design. Non the less, very easy to set and use just like the old design.
That's good to hear. I loved the old system. That's the braking system on which I learned to thumb the spool.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:35 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm
mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

That's good to hear. I loved the old system. That's the braking system on which I learned to thumb the spool.
Precisely. Thats why, even though I think the SLX looks ugly as hell (because of the flat black and blue lettering), its still a great reel that I like to fish. Hell, I even bought an extra one on a good sale to have for parts just in case. :lol:
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Both of the mentioned Daiwa braking problems have permanent solutions- a dot of epoxy for one, and replacement of a part with a design flaw on the other issue. Both of these problems were on random reels, and didnt happen to every reel with that braking system. The Shimano braking problems are recurring and will happen to virtually every reel eventually, because of the fundamental design being friction-based. It does seem we hear about it quite a bit more often on the newest version of the centri-brakes, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:00 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
Yeah, because no one on here has ever had a problem with a Daiwa reels brake system :lol: Nonsense like the piece in the side plate coming loose and can’t get any distance? [-X Both brands can have issues guys.
You are right in that nothing is perfect. The various magnetic braking systems on Daiwa baitcasting reels are not only much more reliable and consistent, but make much less noise. I also don't have to take off the side plate on a Daiwa to adjust anything and to also risk the chance of losing a braking part.