Help with my Sol

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help with my Sol

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm
Since I last posted here I've acquired a zonda honeycomb spool, thanks Winstondry, and IMO it is made for use with ML-M rods, 1/8-5/8oz or more, 8-14# or 20-40# braid. It is awesome for spinnerbaits, keitechs, and other typical bass baits that aren't particularly aerodynamic. I haven't tried skipping with it yet, but I'll probably give it a go this weekend. I have a feeling it will be very good indeed. In any case, I wouldn't go selling that work of art before at least trying it out first. I certainly wouldn't trade it for an Alphas SV spool, purple or otherwise. That's just me, though.
Swap out that big MB spool bearing for an AIR or ZPI, (or a Micro) and you will notice quite the difference whatever you are throwing. Don't forget the sideplate bearing. The stock bearing creates too much continued inertia, especially considering the thin, tapered inductor.
I actually just got an Air ceramic bearing for it in the mail today. So now both the honeycomb and black spool have one. All twelve of my main bass reels now have hedgehog ceramics of one flavor or another, along with two extra spools. \:D/ I love those bearings. They really do bring out the most in a setup.

I like the hedgehog tool. You just need to be careful and make sure that 1) it's perfectly aligned (get a bright headlamp or something so you can see it) and 2) you're not trying to push a smashed spool pin end through the axle. If you fail to do either of the above, you'll bend/snap off the thin end of the "cross wrench" that you use to push the pin all the way out. Luckily, it's only $8 if you do mess it up and sometimes you don't even need that part as you can sometimes pull it out by hand once you screw it halfway out. Most of the time you do need it, though, especially on the thicker axles like those on the honeycomb spool that require an 1150 bearing.

I somehow did this with a Zillion TWS spool and wound up having to pull out the spool pin with a set of wire cutters. Miraculously, it didn't harm the spool and I was able to just throw in a new spool pin.

If you do place an order for a set of bearings and a tool from Hedgehog, do yourself a favor a throw in that three pack of spool pins just in case. It will be $5 well spent.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Also, always always always put some electrical tape on the lip of the spool underneath the tool. Otherwise you will scratch it.
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm
Since I last posted here I've acquired a zonda honeycomb spool, thanks Winstondry, and IMO it is made for use with ML-M rods, 1/8-5/8oz or more, 8-14# or 20-40# braid. It is awesome for spinnerbaits, keitechs, and other typical bass baits that aren't particularly aerodynamic. I haven't tried skipping with it yet, but I'll probably give it a go this weekend. I have a feeling it will be very good indeed. In any case, I wouldn't go selling that work of art before at least trying it out first. I certainly wouldn't trade it for an Alphas SV spool, purple or otherwise. That's just me, though.
Swap out that big MB spool bearing for an AIR or ZPI, (or a Micro) and you will notice quite the difference whatever you are throwing. Don't forget the sideplate bearing. The stock bearing creates too much continued inertia, especially considering the thin, tapered inductor.
I actually just got an Air ceramic bearing for it in the mail today. So now both the honeycomb and black spool have one. All twelve of my main bass reels now have hedgehog ceramics of one flavor or another, along with two extra spools. \:D/ I love those bearings. They really do bring out the most in a setup.

I like the hedgehog tool. You just need to be careful and make sure that 1) it's perfectly aligned (get a bright headlamp or something so you can see it) and 2) you're not trying to push a smashed spool pin end through the axle. If you fail to do either of the above, you'll bend/snap off the thin end of the "cross wrench" that you use to push the pin all the way out. Luckily, it's only $8 if you do mess it up and sometimes you don't even need that part as you can sometimes pull it out by hand once you screw it halfway out. Most of the time you do need it, though, especially on the thicker axles like those on the honeycomb spool that require an 1150 bearing.

I somehow did this with a Zillion TWS spool and wound up having to pull out the spool pin with a set of wire cutters. Miraculously, it didn't harm the spool and I was able to just throw in a new spool pin.

If you do place an order for a set of bearings and a tool from Hedgehog, do yourself a favor a throw in that three pack of spool pins just in case. It will be $5 well spent.
Are the air and zpi bearings pretty equal? I've got Zpi in most of my other reels but was wanting to try hedgehog bearings as well.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Alright, I picked up a few new rods and I'm planning on moving some reels around on the old rods. The two rods are a tatula elite TAEL701MMHXB-AGS M-MH X-fast 1/8-1oz 8-20lb line rating, the other is a tatula elite tael691mlrb ML Regular 1/4-5/8oz 8-14lb line rating. The other reel I'm wanting to move besides the Sol (with mb honeycomb) Is the Alphas SV105. Any reason one of these reels would work better on the ML, or not work well on the M-MH?

Also any of you ever try the zonda bf spool?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 pm

If you're trying to cast lures around 1/4 oz and up, the SV105 will do just fine and should go on the mlr rod. If you're shooting for say, a #5 shad rap, the Sol with the honeycomb is a better choice, especially if it has the stock 5.8 gears. Those reels really should do fine with any of the 3 rods listed, though.
The Zonda shallow spool is very shallow and imo wont hold enough line if you intend to go over 6# mono/flouro. Should be great with light braid, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 pm

No, but it's probably trash.

You know where one is?
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 pm
If you're trying to cast lures around 1/4 oz and up, the SV105 will do just fine and should go on the mlr rod. If you're shooting for say, a #5 shad rap, the Sol with the honeycomb is a better choice, especially if it has the stock 5.8 gears. Those reels really should do fine with any of the 3 rods listed, though.
The Zonda shallow spool is very shallow and imo wont hold enough line if you intend to go over 6# mono/flouro. Should be great with light braid, though.
Yeah, neither of these setups would be for anything lighter than 1/4oz obviously the medium light regular would be better for treble hooks and moving baits and the Sol does have the stock gears so I guess I should have figured that out on my own lol. I'll put the sv105 on the other rod (just kind of don't have a reel use for the sv105 right now and I'm trying to find somewhere it works in my lineup because o really want to keep it)

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

You know where one is?
I was looking through auctions on buyee for different reels and parts and came across this

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t638435456

Probably kind of expensive after it's all said and done but it got me to start looking into it since I was deciding between the sv105 and px68l for a bfs setup. I have another thread on debating deciding between those two and after different suggestions I found a air stream custom on digitaka for around $250 so that makes it difficult to justify putting money into either of the other reels to try to do a similar job.

I didn't buy a ASC yet but I'm still considering it (I like the colors on the alphas air better but can only find it for $10-$15 less new).

Anyway, I'm always looking for different spool options

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm
poisonokie wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

You know where one is?
I was looking through auctions on buyee for different reels and parts and came across this

Probably kind of expensive after it's all said and done but it got me to start looking into it since I was deciding between the sv105 and px68l for a bfs setup. I have another thread on debating deciding between those two and after different suggestions I found a air stream custom on digitaka for around $250 so that makes it difficult to justify putting money into either of the other reels to try to do a similar job.

I didn't buy a ASC yet but I'm still considering it (I like the colors on the alphas air better but can only find it for $10-$15 less new).

That's probably not a bad price. I really want one because the other two are so good. I don't have a need for it all, though, because I have an Alphas ASC, Alphas Air, and SV Light and I use my Zonda with either the black or honeycomb spool on a medium rod and the BF spool just wouldn't fit that combo for any purpose. The hedgehog custom that spool came with supposedly has magnets tuned for lighter baits, so I really wish I had one of those for BFS.
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm
poisonokie wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

You know where one is?

That's probably not a bad price. I really want one because the other two are so good. I don't have a need for it all, though, because I have an Alphas ASC, Alphas Air, and SV Light and I use my Zonda with either the black or honeycomb spool on a medium rod and the BF spool just wouldn't fit that combo for any purpose. The hedgehog custom that spool came with supposedly has magnets tuned for lighter baits, so I really wish I had one of those for BFS.
That's the part that kind of makes me hesitate putting the spool in my alphas. I have the honeycomb in my Sol though so I guess it could work.

When I was searching for just spool it looked like they used to sell between $75-$90 used a few years ago and now they can go for much more.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 am

poisonokie wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

You know where one is?
I finally found a post about the zonda bf spool in an alphas. I found others that said it was good, and some that said it was wild because the magnets were stronger in the zonda (or closer to the rotor). Anyway just thought I'd share since I asked the question.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47211&p=363736&hil ... as#p363736