Round Reel Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Round Reel Question

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 am

I was looking at a Lin 10 Origin
And I wondered what was the difference between the Lin 10,
Royoga, monoblock and millionare?

If you could get one would it be worth it OR is the 2019 Daiwa millionaire a better choice?

I’ve had the new conquest but I wanted a smaller one in a higher gear ratio. I sold it and still have my Ringa but was looking to sale it. Sales were too low so I found an OG spool for it. But I have a BE spool to try in it once I get it back. I like the look of the side of the Lin 10 but I have never used one and I’m not in the bespoke bracket. Let me know your thoughts
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Round Reel Question

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am

The Lin is based off the Ryoga and has Zillion sized gears AFAIK while the Monoblock is based off the Millionaire and has Alphas sized gears.

I don't know if I consider the Ryoga to be a truly round reel since it has that big gearbox hanging off the side to accommodate the larger gear set, but that's just me. It's more of a round/LP hybrid.
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm

In coming pm
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:17 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am
I don't know if I consider the Ryoga to be a truly round reel since it has that big gearbox hanging off the side to accommodate the larger gear set, but that's just me. It's more of a round/LP hybrid.
The Ryoga and Monoblock certainly are round reels. The size of the gearbox does not define the reel's shape.

This review is a bit ancient, but should give you some perspective on the Monoblock: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewitomonoblock.html

As this one should for the LIN:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabasslin10.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am

To me a round reel should be round all the way around. When you incorporate a big, clunky, square gearbox on the side it ceases to become a round reel and starts becoming something different.

Another example is the TD-X. It's low profile-ish, but among other things it doesn't have the LP gearbox geometry to make it sit lower on the rod, so it's not low profile, not quite round, but something else.
This is the way.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 am

So like comparing a Calcutta 200 B to a Calcutta 200 TE and then finally to a Calcutta 200 CQ - the gearbox geometry changes - therefore it stops being a "round reel"?
IMG_20190622_003659.jpg
200B
IMG_20190622_003659.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
IMG_20190622_003720.jpg
200TE
IMG_20190622_003720.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
IMG_20190622_003744.jpg
200CQ
IMG_20190622_003744.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am

I get what he is saying about defining a true "round". When you put all 3 there, it does show the funkyness of evolution. I personally still like the 200GTB the most.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 am

I mean, I get that these reels are predominantly round in shape and why they are classified as such, but for me part of the appeal of a round reel is that you can wrap your fingers all the way around the bottom of the reel seat without having your fingertips pressed into the gearbox.

Take the Cover Hacking for example. To me it's pretty much a round reel with a different shape and some extra parts to create a better contour for palming.

Just one man's opinion.
This is the way.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am
To me a round reel should be round all the way around. When you incorporate a big, clunky, square gearbox on the side it ceases to become a round reel and starts becoming something different.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then my friend.

To me, a reel's profile is defined by the shape of its frame and the side on which you hold it. If that side is round, it's a round reel. If it is oblong, and sits low on the reel, it is low profile. Whatever modifications they make on the gear side to enable to house today's engineering advances are there to make the reel relevant.

By your definition a traditional round reel should actually be referred to as a cylinder because that is the true shape of the reel, isn't it? Also, the Revos by Abu Garcia (and many other brands' product) would not be considered low profile because of the big, round gear box on the handle side. The shape descriptor is not intended to be so literal but both of us are splitting hairs. I can understand your annoyance at the Ryoga/Lin design with that funky gearbox. There are many who are also annoyed at the gearbox on the Abu reels too.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 am

Right, they're cylindrical from both sides. If the handle side of a 100 sized reel is made up of two cylinders to accommodate the same gears which would normally go in a 200 sized reel in order to make the profile lower it's not exactly round anymore.

It runs a little deeper than semantics, but admittedly not much.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:01 am

Also, I do consider Revos low profile precisely because of that gearbox. If it weren't shaped that way it would have the same profile as an Ambassadeur. A Zillion doesn't sit as low as an Alphas, but there's no denying that they're both LP reels.
This is the way.