Looking for small casting reel suggestions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for small casting reel suggestions

Post by edwelch1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 am

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions on small casting reels. I mostly use spinning reels, so that's what I'm most familiar with, and don't have much knowledge at all regarding casting reels, most specifically, sizing between brands. I do plan on going to my local shops to be able to check reels out in person, but I like to do my research online beforehand, I just have no clue where to start.

As for what I'm looking for, basically a decent quality casting reel (100-150 bucks preferably), that is as small as possible, has a decent line capacity, and comes in left hand reel(probably the most important factor). I don't have a brand preference that is 100% set in stone, but I do like Daiwa for my spinning reels. I'll be using it to go after lake trout through the ice in Canada, so braking systems don't matter, as I won't be casting with it at all. Lower gear ratios are better, because there's potential to be battling monsters up there, and don't need a super fast retrieve. Any drag capacity should work, because I don't really need it locked down all that tight. Line capacity just needs to be decent; usually fishing in 45-90 feet of water, and providing extra line for big runs, anything around 100 yards or more of, say 20-30# braid, should work just fine.

I currently have an older Abu Revo Toro that I use, not sure of the exact model or year, but I had originally bought that for musky fishing, and it is comically big for my laker ice rig, so I'm just looking for something decent quality that's as small as possible (it's going on a 34" Clam Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rod).

At a local store that didn't have a great selection, they had a 13 fishing Concept A3 (6.3 ratio), and that seemed like a really nice size, but I don't necessarily want to spend that much, nor do I particularly care for 13. So any suggestions that are close to that in size (or even smaller if possible!) would be great; doesn't seem that 13 uses any sort of sizing comparable to other brands, so I have no clue where to start. If I need to save a bit more to push myself into the $200 range, I can, so suggestions up to $200 are still welcome, I'd just prefer to keep it under $150 since I only use it for a week long trip every year.

Thanks in advance!
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for small casting reel suggestions

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

Just get a fuego ct and save the money for once a year, you can add bearings with the extra money.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 am

Used Daiwa Alpha for mid 100's. Made sure seller advertises excellent working condition.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

If you scroll through the Reels Menu page on our main site, there are quite a few reviews for $100 - $150 range reels up there now including the Okuma Cerros, Lew's Speed Spool LFS, Abu Garcia Revo S, Shimano SLX and more...

http://www.tackletour.com/menureels.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Daiwa Tatula 100 or the Shimano SLX.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Man, the Shimano SLX is right up your alley. That thing is tiny and soo much fun to fish. It's to me, a new age version of the Curado50Es. The benefit is you can get them for under $100. I took one and changed all the bushings out for bearings, and swapped in a set of Hawgtech spool bearings, and wham! That is the most amazing transformation I've had in a reel for its price. I have the Fuego CT tuned as well, and personally prefer the SLX all around for the price point.
<")))><{

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think I'm going to have to take a look at the Fuego CT, Tatula 100, and SLX so far, with the Tatula 100 being the most intriguing so far on paper (plus, not that it's a huge deal, but my main spinning reel right now is a Tatula LT, so I'd have a matching theme going, lol).

A few others that I'm curious about:
Quantum Vapor PT, Ardent Apex Elite, Lew's Tournament Pro LFS, and Shimano Curado 70.

Anybody have thoughts on those? I like the looks of the Vapor PT in the sense of it having cork/EVA knobs, just not very familiar with Quantum. Ardent Apex Elite for the weight and EVA knobs, again just don't know anything about them. I can find the Tournament Pro and Curado 70 closer to my $150 range than their list price, so they're up for consideration; any other reels in the $200 msrp price range also would be up for consideration if I can find them closer to my price range on eBay or elsewhere. Any other suggestions with that in mind?

I'd also prefer not to have to monkey with upgrading bearings (even though I know it's probably easy enough), so if I can find something closer to the higher end of my price range that'll just be good to go from the start, that would be nice.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am

The Vapor is OK. I bought one to play with, but sold it to one of my techs. He loves it.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

Steer clear of that Ardent.
This is the way.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Stick wirh Shimano and Daiwa and you will me much happier

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm

What about the Curado 70? It's been around for ages (and should be relatively cheap now) and honestly I can't fault it yet... Not sure why it's dropped off the face of the planet online talk wise but its quiet a capable little reel for its form and build.

I'm using mine for BFS casting 4g down to 1.5gr but I know of people chasing Barramundi up north Queensland and still proving quiet stable for such use.

If only it came factory with a 5.0 / 5.5:1 ratio... But the gears it comes with in the HG ratio is OK.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm
What about the Curado 70? It's been around for ages (and should be relatively cheap now) and honestly I can't fault it yet... Not sure why it's dropped off the face of the planet online talk wise but its quiet a capable little reel for its form and build.

I'm using mine for BFS casting 4g down to 1.5gr but I know of people chasing Barramundi up north Queensland and still proving quiet stable for such use.

If only it came factory with a 5.0 / 5.5:1 ratio... But the gears it comes with in the HG ratio is OK.
I put 5.5 in mine and the retrieve is effortless like nothing on the other end when reeling in a 1/4jighead 3.8" fat keitech. The greatest benefit to this is any little bitty tap or abnormality you definitely feel it.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Slazmo wrote:

I put 5.5 in mine and the retrieve is effortless like nothing on the other end when reeling in a 1/4jighead 3.8" fat keitech. The greatest benefit to this is any little bitty tap or abnormality you definitely feel it.
Curado 70 is on my radar after looking at it on tackle warehouse. I'll just have to see if one of my local shops has one to handle before I spring for one; I'm definitely the type to need to handle a rod or reel in person before buying, however, it looks like it may not be a current enough reel to be stocked much of anywhere but online. The stock 7.2:1 gears are a bit high for what i'd want, but if a gear swap is easy enough to source to get it down into the 6's, that wouldn't be too bad. I don't think I would want it in the 5's, because there are definitely lake trout that you need to burn it on the retrieve a bit to get them to strike.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am

edwelch1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Slazmo wrote:

Curado 70 is on my radar after looking at it on tackle warehouse. I'll just have to see if one of my local shops has one to handle before I spring for one; I'm definitely the type to need to handle a rod or reel in person before buying, however, it looks like it may not be a current enough reel to be stocked much of anywhere but online. The stock 7.2:1 gears are a bit high for what i'd want, but if a gear swap is easy enough to source to get it down into the 6's, that wouldn't be too bad. I don't think I would want it in the 5's, because there are definitely lake trout that you need to burn it on the retrieve a bit to get them to strike.
Yes, with the 5.5 gears the only thing burning would be your hand spinning the handle very fast. :big grin: My use is for slow rolling paddle tails along bottom.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:19 am

70 series reels arent fast for their ratios. Look at the IPT, dont look at the ratio.
<")))><{