Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Steez SV TW currently the best?

No
27%
Yes
61%
Met MGL would be it
1%
Other (specify)
11%

Total votes: 74

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:07 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:39 am
SSS wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am
Bit surprised no one voted for the met mgl. Always thought it was very popular in here.
He rigged it! (kidding) :big grin: Just goes to show that forums do not match the overall national tackle market. Reality and forums are miles apart!

For example, here you find most people who post are enthusiasts for tackle while the vast majority of tackle sales are to people who could not care less. They walk into Walmart and buy some cheap chinese junk and use it until it breaks and go back and buy some more. That is more than 99% of the market, while the enthusiasts make up less than 1% -as a guess, and a lot of that 1% is what fills up forums while the 99% could not care less and will never pay big bucks for fishing gear and certainly will not bother with tackle forums to discuss it- or debate and argue about it- and get hostile over it. ](*,)

Another thing to consider... take here in central Florida for example... I work in a rod and reel repair shop that has been in business for 32 years now. We see mostly Shimano and Penn and very few Daiwa reels if ever. We see more Zebco and Quantum reels than Daiwa. So in our 'reel' world, Shimano is king by a long shot, and it is Daiwa who? Shimano far outsells Daiwa by a long shot in our area. Nearly all saltwater reels are either Shimano, Penn, or other, but almost never Daiwa.

Just the way it goes... while on this forum Daiwa has a strong following that does not match the numbers of the 'reel' world so they can out vote the king of the hill around here...

And this comment is not trying to bash Daiwa, only posted to show a different perspective that I see in 'reel' life.

Last week, I think one Daiwa TWS came through the front door- that I saw. However, a ton of shimano came in. Shimano far outsells Daiwa. Simple as that.
I have never looked up the actual numbers on who sells more, but as a repair shop, isn't it a good thing for reels to NOT come in? Either way I am sure you are right and reel sells are somewhat reflected by repair shop numbers too. I would be willing to bet that 90 percent or so of fisherman don't care for or appreciate higher end gear though and just go with what is cheapest, but by no means does a Zebco 33's sales reflect its quality or performance.

Either way, I want to hunt the actual reel sales to see who sells most, would be even more interesting to see just the US and not the entire world, problem is I know nothing about saltwater reels and have no idea how much they affect general/freshwater/bass reel sales, especially in coastal areas, like where you live. Where I live, 95% or more reels will be freshwater, I don't and haven't ever even seen saltwater reels for sale, even in bigger stores hours from my backwoods home.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

It's the best I own for my medium power bottom contact rods I guess. I 'm really an aluminum frame guy. I like the smoothness and hooksetting power aluminum frames give me.
Last edited by KP Duty on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Judging sales by how many of a certain brand of reels come into a repair shop is actually not a good litmus test. If one sees a ton of all these other brands come into a shop in need of repair, then hardly ever sees a Daiwa, I would think its because Daiwa reels dont ever break or need service. My cousin is a service manager for a Ford dealership. He asked his mechanics which vehicle they hated to work on, they said the Ranger with the 4.0 engine. He asked them why and they said, "We hardly ever see them. No one can remember how to repair them". I think that example sort of backfired on you, dude.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:43 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am
Bit surprised no one voted for the met mgl. Always thought it was very popular in here.
8 month ago i thought my Ardena + Met MGL combo is best ever that i had.

But then i tried Adrena + Steez SV. Farther, lighter, more comfortably without any effort. In addition, there are not expensive spools from Rays Studio for Daiwa: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168. Do you still think that Met MGL best reel on market :) ? I always been an Shimano guy (Met 13, Chronarch CI4+, Met MGL), but Steez is very nice reel. I did not have so much time to use it with jerkbaits, but with a jig and vibs it is better than Met - 100%.
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:17 pm
"We hardly ever see them. No one can remember how to repair them".
:lol: Nice story! You've made my day!

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:13 am

Yes, but Steez CT SV TW 700XH !! \:D/

Absolutely amazing reel! Casts much better than 1016 and its smaller to palm.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:17 pm
Judging sales by how many of a certain brand of reels come into a repair shop is actually not a good litmus test. If one sees a ton of all these other brands come into a shop in need of repair, then hardly ever sees a Daiwa, I would think its because Daiwa reels dont ever break or need service. My cousin is a service manager for a Ford dealership. He asked his mechanics which vehicle they hated to work on, they said the Ranger with the 4.0 engine. He asked them why and they said, "We hardly ever see them. No one can remember how to repair them". I think that example sort of backfired on you, dude.
Not in the slightest because the view point of what comes in the shop is representative of what is out there is truth, not some idea that Daiwa never fail and never need servicing. That is absurd especially in central Florida where just the salt in the air can corrode reels of all brands- even Daiwa.

So this idea that just because we do not see Daiwa reels in the shop means they never break and never need servicing is simply not a legitimate idea. Has no truth and no relevancy and is a myth.

Our shop sees what is out there in our area. And most reels are in for normal servicing. Not every reel coming through our door is broken. Most are simply disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled needing no parts at all. Just regular maintenance. Daiwa is not immune from any of this- and to develop an idea they are- and never need to see a shop for service is pure dreaming and pure fantasy and can not be taken seriously at all and really never should have been posted as a serious idea worthy of consideration. It is just another extension of the defensiveness Daiwa fans put forward in forums like this trying to defend Daiwa when it really is not necessary. Shimano fans don't get defensive and even hostile defending Shimano because there is no reason to and no need to. For some reason, only Daiwa fans do this.

We see reels that have been in service for many years, decades even of faithful service without regular maintenance. And the customers love those reels so much they are willing to pay to restore them rather than go buy something new.

So my statement stands as truth that what comes in our front door is REPRESENTATIVE of what is out there. End of story. No argument or debating it as far as I am concerned. Case closed. Daiwa lovers can dream up silly notions all day long on how superior their precious Daiwa reels are, but so what? Shimano is king of the sales in our area. No one tops Shimano. Not even close. Just the facts. Nothing to argue about.

And again, this not bashing Daiwa or their reels. They build decent reels even if they are over engineered and more difficult to work on than Shimano reels are... and take longer to service and therefore are less profitable than Shimano reels are. Just the facts of life as I see it. So please stop playing games used as defense of a product that simply just does not come close to selling as well as king of the mountain. It is pointless as are the results of this poll.

So what if 20 people on here vote Daiwa the best reel. Out there in the 'reel' world, Daiwa is in no way king of anything when customers walk into stores to buy reels. Shimano is purchased by far more so than Daiwa at this time and in this area.

Last night I was asking other fishermen what they thought the ratio might be... I suggested maybe 1 Daiwa reel is purchased for every 1,000 shimano reels. Another fisherman suggested it was more like 1 Daiwa reel to every 10,000 Shimano reels. Whatever the truth of this ratio is, Shimano definitely comes out on top in terms of front counter sales and there are no words on this forum that can defend or change what is...

Another fisherman brought up a point I had never heard before because he studies pro bass fishing more so than I do, and he said he noticed that when a professional bass fishermen loses his sponsor for reels, that they almost always buy Shimano to use for their professional craft. He said he never saw not one pro fishermen ever show up with a boat load of Daiwa reels if they did not have a sponsor for reels. While I am sure there are those who do, he made it clear that from his years of observations on this that he was very clear that almost always they show up with Shimano, and he said some Abu and some Quantum, but in his experience never Daiwa.

So data and information can go in many directions which is what forums are for- the sharing of information however unpopular or liked or disliked it might be does not matter.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:50 am

Ok, this thread is a poll as to how many here think the Steez SV TW is the best casting reel on the market at the moment. A Shimano was added for anyone who liked that brand better.....you end up on a wild tangent about Shimano's superiority(again), taking the thread totally off-topic....and you have it all figured out and everyone else is clueless. No one is being defensive besides you, dude. Your perception that Shimano is king of the hill is the gospel truth(to you, anyway) and everyone here sees thru your consistent bashing of Daiwa and ardent defense of Shimano. Your abrasive, irrationally defensive posts have even begun to irritate many Shimano fans here. Just because you put "Im not bashing Daiwa" at the end of virtually every post you make in reference to Daiwa, doesnt make it so. As I have said repeatedly before, Shimano makes an excellent product, and no one here thinks otherwise. Everyone here has personal preferences. I personally prefer Daiwa because of consistency in casting and braking profiles across the entire product line. For me, Magforce is just easier to deal with than taking a palm plate loose to adjust the braking. Yes, I know Shimano has developed the SVS Infinity in recent yrs that allows outside adjustment. I have used several of these reels and they are fine casters. One last time, it comes down to personal preference for most people. They don't call Shimano, Abu and Daiwa "the big 3" for no reason. Its because all 3 make a fine product, and to consistently make disparaging remarks about any one of these companies' products in a majority of one's posts is what is truly absurd, not my suggestion that you see less of Daiwa product coming into your shop because they are more dependable than other brands. You can spin it however you want, but the proof is here in your posts for everyone to see. There are other Daiwa bashers out there(think Reel Test/bootytrain), but at least he is a little more subtle about it and tries to appear unbiased. Anyway, you do you, dude, but dont spout your opinion and try to enforce it as fact. You're dealing with an educated crowd here, not the unwashed masses that buy that "cheap Chinese junk" you so often mention.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 am

Let me elaborate on something I touched upon above but did not explain...

And there is no need for Daiwa fans to be defensive for things they can not change...

I have been working on reels in Florida since I was a teenager. I am now in mid 50's. So some 30 plus years of working on reels, and now do it professionally in a shop that has been in business in Florida for 32 years and we are a warranty repair facility for many brands including Shimano and Daiwa.

Every year at ICAST time our shop is visited by various executives of various brands. And the last 2 years top level executives from Shimano have come to visit us at our shop. Executives from Shimano North American HOLDING company, and with them top level Asian executives of other Shimano corporations worldwide like China for example- the new head of China came to see our shop to use as a model or example of some things they wanted to implement in the newly developing China branch of Shimano.

And while they were in our shop, I was for example, in the middle of finishing up the overhaul and restoration of a Shimano reel made and released back in 1993. A Shimano "green bean" or, CU-200B.

I had those executives hovered around me watching over my shoulder as I finshed the reel and then passed it around to them who in turn passed it around to each executive present for review as they held it and tested its finished results and they were happy with it as was I. I was patted on the back for a job well done on that particular reel and those executives thanked me, and thanked my boss and shop owner for the work we do in keeping their reels and legacy alive.

They made it a point to say that none of them even worked for Shimano at the time this reel was made by Shimano and they loved seeing how we kept reels working that were decades old.

And this brings me to the point I'd like to make... and there is no need for Daiwa fans to get defensive over it.

For some reason Shimano fans hang on to their older reels. It is a passion we see in Shimano, but we do not see it in Daiwa. Shimano fans hang on to their older reels while Daiwa owners tend to kick them to the curb and do not hold on to them for decades like Shimano fans do.

And this is something we see in our shop every single day. Shimano, Shimano, Shimano. Daiwa who?

Just this past week I saw Shimano reels coming in from the 1980's to be torn down, cleaned, and lubed and put back together. Reels that today do not bring much on the used resale market, but so what. The owners just love their old reels so much so they are willing to pay as much as the reel is worth to restore them and keep them going for many more years of reliable faithful service.

I am the same way. I prefer to use mostly older Shimano reels. I still have and used Curado 201 B's... and I love my older stradic spinning reels of the FE, FG, FH, FI, and even FJ series are where my passion for them is and remains. And these reels today often sell on ebay for as much or more than they sold when new. They hold their value big time even though parts are no longer available.

We simply do not see this with Daiwa. This phenomenon simply does not exist for Daiwa in the same way it does for Shimano reels.

So the bulk of our reels that come through our front door every single day are mostly older Shimano reels that owners simply have not maintained and have used them until they decide they need servicing and bring them in.

It is a rare case in our shop to see older and even newer Daiwa reels. I think it is safe to say we see more Daiwa spinning reels than anything else. I even use older Team Daiwa spinning reels. Built like tanks and smooth and I love them. But I can not say that for their newer baitcast reels and that is just the way it goes and there is nothing anyone can say to change this observation of mine. It is what it is.

Shimano has a lasting legacy of devoted reel lovers who will hang onto their beloved shimanos for decades and pay to keep them working at all costs. It is amazing to me every day when this happens like just last week I had to call a customer to inform him we could repair one of his older Chronarch reels because parts simply are not available to us any longer. And he was dismayed to hear this so I suggested he look on ebay for more of these reels in better usable condition if he wanted to continue using this particular reel. He said he would do that and then told me he had another one just like it going South and we agreed the reel I had at the shop might suffice as a parts supply to keep his other 20 plus year old Chronarch going. His reels suffered from years of saltwater use and had plenty of corrosion, so it is still up in the air whether or not we can keep them going. Replacement might be his best option, but if so, he is going straight for the same old reel on ebay and not the newer Shimanos. His choice and mine too.

In all my years I can not ever recall one single Daiwa fan doing this. I do not see Daiwa fans come in with new Daiwa reels along with 30 year old Daiwa reels. Just does not happen in our area. Shimano is king and it has nothing to do with me observing it, and sharing this observation. Jumping on me can not and will not change what is.

I look forward to ICAST this year and seeing some of our old friends from various brands again visit us at our shop and share the show floor at ICAST. Loads of fun and great discussions...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:50 am
..you end up on a wild tangent about Shimano's superiority(again), taking the thread totally off-topic....
Let me see... a poll with 2 choices originally... a Daiwa, and a Shimano. And I am taking thread off topic in Shimano and is not allowed some how? Seriously?

This is laughable man! Get real! This is a discussion forum. It is open to all members to freely discuss tackle of all brands. And I was not the person who included Shimano in the poll which is now clearly being stated to be rigged towards Daiwa but for what reason? A promotion for Daiwa? Using this site to try and promote Daiwa only while diminishing Shimano?

No man, you got it all wrong. Controlling content is not your job and I am not off topic if Shimano is included in the choices.

Stop being a control freak and to the Daiwa fans, stop defending Daiwa and stop being hostile when the rest of the world does not play along with your fantasies.This is quickly turning into a joke.

Oh and something else you should be aware of... we are suppose to stay on topic of tackle. Posting words and comments directed about other members and how you don't like them and don't like their opinions and how horrible you think they are clearly against the rules of civility of this website and forum and should be moderated by a neutral honest admin. You should not be allowed to post the personal attack words seen here. As all can see I have not done that for you so why you would engage in such childish behavior is questionable.

Wait... I just now saw you are a TT moderator and you just launched a personal attack in violation of the rules? Wow! Bad news for this site when "moderators" are breaking the rules of civility to control content and opinions and skewed poll voting.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 am

People dont hold onto their older Daiwas the way Shimano uses do?! Have you actually read through Tackle Tour?! Oh yeah, that's right, you are just here to troll until you get booted like you have on every other forum you've been on. Times a ticking..... :lol:
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:29 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 am
People dont hold onto their older Daiwas the way Shimano uses do?! Have you actually read through Tackle Tour?! Oh yeah, that's right, you are just here to troll until you get booted like you have on every other forum you've been on. Times a ticking..... :lol:
This is an enthusiast site. The people here are not overall market representation. Your laughable comment does not matter out there in the "reel" world.

My comment comes from personal observation of what our shop sees on a daily basis built up over years and years.

I do not see the mainstream tackle market hold onto their Daiwa reels like the Shimano owners do.

The only people who should be booted from forums and banned are those who launch personal attacks on other members in violation of the rules and you are one of them clearly.

Having opinions on tackle you don't like is not grounds for banishment. Personal attacks should be.

Some of you should think clearly about what you are doing here... skewing polls, controlling content, and launching personal attacks on other members is driving off wiser people who simply do not post and do not participate when bullies and thugs are allowed to run rampant on forums like this. This is suppose to be a business earning income from customers and to allow a small group of unpleasant people to control others as you two are doing here should not be allowed and should be stopped. If anyone should be banned you would be a good choice as it is painfully clear to all who read this who the offenders and rule violators are.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:29 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 am
This is an enthusiast site. The people here are not overall market representation. Your laughable comment does not matter out there in the "reel" world.

My comment comes from personal observation of what our shop sees on a daily basis built up over years and years.

I do not see the mainstream tackle market hold onto their Daiwa reels like the Shimano owners do.

The only people who should be booted from forums and banned are those who launch personal attacks on other members in violation of the rules and you are one of them clearly.

Having opinions on tackle you don't like is not grounds for banishment. Personal attacks should be.
You "reel" world as you like to call it is laughable, much as you coming on here and spewing the garbage that has got you banned on many other sites. If you represent your repair shop, it doesn't make them look good either. But carry on, because the comedy that comes with every babbling post is keeping many of us entertained. It's like a bad train wreck.

Go ahead, continue and tell us all why we are doing everything wrong...
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 am

You sir are a liar. I have not been banned from any other sites.

I have given up on other sites because admin does not hold in check people like you. And I recently reached out to admin about you.

Tackle tour is suppose to be open to all walks of life and all opinions on tackle. For those who disagree they should do so respectfully and without personal attacks.

People who launch personal attacks should be banned. And that would be you.

The only train wreck I see are the trouble makers desperately trying to attack a messenger when they do not like the message- a message they fail to undermine or refute with any level of success.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:40 am

You got run off...and for reasons that are shown and printed here as well. Good times.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:42 am

Why do you lie?

You are showing everyone here why people like me should not even post on forums like this and you are also showing thousands of other people why they also should choose to not post here when people like you are allowed to do this sort of thing.

You really bring this site down and drive off good people and forum owners should be more careful than this.

The bigger question should be why am I not allowed to have my own opinion. Why should my opinion on tackle be assailed like it is here? It is really amazing how a simple opinion on tackle is vilified by an extremely small minority.

A discussion forum is suppose to be about differing opinions and the sharing of information, yet when someone who works in the tackle industry posts an opinion not liked by a few people, they are allowed to destroy the threads with vicious, malicious personal attacks simply because they do not like the opinion posted.

Admin is not suppose to be a part of such vilification and admin should be honest and neutral in maintaining peace by controlling repeat offenders. If this website and forum wants to grow and let more and more people come here to post their opinions, then the bullies and thugs must be held accountable or else why bother? What is the point when a few can ruin it for all?

We all must be allowed to have our opinions, and be allowed to express them freely without vicious malicious personal attacks of any kind.