Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Post Reply
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by tditox4 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm

My buddy wants to jump into baitcast for the first time. Opinions wanted. Casting spinnerbaits 3/8oz. And Bomber minnow baits 5 inch 3 trebled ones. I myself have never tried either of the 2 reels he is considering. SS SV is used and Tatula SV TW is new.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Tatula SV. The SS SV needs some work but can be a great reel. In stock form the drag is super weak, the handle is too short and the spool is over braked for anything but picking apart cover and skipping.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree. The SS can be a sick reel, but takes some tuning to get there. The Tat will be a great all rounder out of the box. Course, since he's a beginner, the SS is about the most forgiving reel I know of. I guess it kind of depends on the application, but he should probably just go with the Tat.
This is the way.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by tditox4 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'll pass on the info to my buddy. Appreciate it.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:03 am

I would go with the SS SV any day. Palms better and is just a downgraded steez which is much better than any kind of Thailand made tatulas. Plus the overbraking on the SV spool of the SS SV isn't a bad thing for someone learning baitcasters.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

The Tat SV feels more solid. It also does light weight baits well. Plus since they are a dime a dozen parts are easy to get. Should be not like it the reel will sell quickly as there is a large market for them

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

tditox4 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm
My buddy wants to jump into baitcast for the first time. Opinions wanted.
Here's one that won't be popular to some, but true enough because I saw it with my own eyes...

Recently I fished with a guy on this forum who bought both Shimano and Daiwa baitcast reels. I asked him why in the world would he ever buy a Daiwa and he said only because he could modify it more so than he could his Shimano- with aftermarket parts and all...

So when we were both out fishing side by side I noticed about every third cast or so he stood there trying to get the backlashes out of his daiwa reels with super light replacement spools and new handles and all, but meanwhile, there I am casting away into the wind with same casting distance just like he was and all I use is Shimano. NOT ONE single backlash the entire time. NOT A ONE. Not even close to a backlash either.

I even brought this up to him and he said he thought the magnets just were not adequate enough and not adjustable enough like the physical braking shimano utilizes. I agree with that conclusion.

So you know, take it for what it is worth... if you want a reel you can modify go with daiwa and expect backlashes on a regular basis. Or, if you want a reel you can not modify as much, or with as many choices, and want fewer or- NO backlashes, then shimano might be the better choice. Shimano left magnets in the dust decades ago.

Hopefully the person I fished with is quickly realizing what I've known all along and will make the correct adjustment in the future...

Oh, and this same person also took some advice off this very forum on where to send his Daiwa reels to be "super tuned" and he said after spending over $100 to get one done, that he was happier with how the reel was BEFORE he sent it to the guru everyone around here told him to send it to. Now when the time comes I am sure he will seek out more down to earth solutions to um straightening out the over priced mess forum advice from around here got him into... so to newbies... be aware! You will be advised on who to send it to and more than likely also be way overcharged for it too! Sometimes it is best to just send your reels to brand recommended service centers... or pay the price like this fellow did.

OK, fire away... and we know where it will be coming from... those who must defend the indefensible.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm
tditox4 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm
My buddy wants to jump into baitcast for the first time. Opinions wanted.
Here's one that won't be popular to some, but true enough because I saw it with my own eyes...

Recently I fished with a guy on this forum who bought both Shimano and Daiwa baitcast reels. I asked him why in the world would he ever buy a Daiwa and he said only because he could modify it more so than he could his Shimano- with aftermarket parts and all...

So when we were both out fishing side by side I noticed about every third cast or so he stood there trying to get the backlashes out of his daiwa reels with super light replacement spools and new handles and all, but meanwhile, there I am casting away into the wind with same casting distance just like he was and all I use is Shimano. NOT ONE single backlash the entire time. NOT A ONE. Not even close to a backlash either.

I even brought this up to him and he said he thought the magnets just were not adequate enough and not adjustable enough like the physical braking shimano utilizes. I agree with that conclusion.

So you know, take it for what it is worth... if you want a reel you can modify go with daiwa and expect backlashes on a regular basis. Or, if you want a reel you can not modify as much, or with as many choices, and want fewer or- NO backlashes, then shimano might be the better choice. Shimano left magnets in the dust decades ago.

Hopefully the person I fished with is quickly realizing what I've known all along and will make the correct adjustment in the future...

Oh, and this same person also took some advice off this very forum on where to send his Daiwa reels to be "super tuned" and he said after spending over $100 to get one done, that he was happier with how the reel was BEFORE he sent it to the guru everyone around here told him to send it to. Now when the time comes I am sure he will seek out more down to earth solutions to um straightening out the over priced mess forum advice from around here got him into... so to newbies... be aware! You will be advised on who to send it to and more than likely also be way overcharged for it too! Sometimes it is best to just send your reels to brand recommended service centers... or pay the price like this fellow did.

OK, fire away... and we know where it will be coming from... those who must defend the indefensible.
Please disregard this information. Both Shimano and Daiwa reels can be set up to be backlash free. Daiwa reels in particular with their Magforce Z and SV spools are particularly difficult to backlash.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm
tditox4 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm
My buddy wants to jump into baitcast for the first time. Opinions wanted.
Here's one that won't be popular to some, but true enough because I saw it with my own eyes...

Recently I fished with a guy on this forum who bought both Shimano and Daiwa baitcast reels. I asked him why in the world would he ever buy a Daiwa and he said only because he could modify it more so than he could his Shimano- with aftermarket parts and all...

So when we were both out fishing side by side I noticed about every third cast or so he stood there trying to get the backlashes out of his daiwa reels with super light replacement spools and new handles and all, but meanwhile, there I am casting away into the wind with same casting distance just like he was and all I use is Shimano. NOT ONE single backlash the entire time. NOT A ONE. Not even close to a backlash either.

I even brought this up to him and he said he thought the magnets just were not adequate enough and not adjustable enough like the physical braking shimano utilizes. I agree with that conclusion.

So you know, take it for what it is worth... if you want a reel you can modify go with daiwa and expect backlashes on a regular basis. Or, if you want a reel you can not modify as much, or with as many choices, and want fewer or- NO backlashes, then shimano might be the better choice. Shimano left magnets in the dust decades ago.

Hopefully the person I fished with is quickly realizing what I've known all along and will make the correct adjustment in the future...

Oh, and this same person also took some advice off this very forum on where to send his Daiwa reels to be "super tuned" and he said after spending over $100 to get one done, that he was happier with how the reel was BEFORE he sent it to the guru everyone around here told him to send it to. Now when the time comes I am sure he will seek out more down to earth solutions to um straightening out the over priced mess forum advice from around here got him into... so to newbies... be aware! You will be advised on who to send it to and more than likely also be way overcharged for it too! Sometimes it is best to just send your reels to brand recommended service centers... or pay the price like this fellow did.

OK, fire away... and we know where it will be coming from... those who must defend the indefensible.
This sound like a "This one time at Band Camp..." story. Albeit, less informative or entertaining.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5163
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Ok, since we are doing show and tell, here is one for you that I saw with my own eyes. I watched a guy on the lake coming down the bank behind me. I knew him and he came to me at the ramp later asking questions. He was about 15-20 ft closer to the bank and this was during a shad spawn. They were flopping at the waters edge and I was hitting the bank and dragging a weightless fluke back into the water, and it would get hammered about every time. I watched as he came down the bank and he caught a few fish, as well, but not nearly as many I caught. Later, he was asking what kind of reel I was using. His SHIMANO reels were supertuned with ceramic bearings, polished brake drums and spool tips, while I was using a stock Steez, only with Carbontex drag washers in it. I showed him my reel with stock bearings. He was saying no way that was the reel I was using. I then showed him the remainder of my reels, all with stock bearings. He asked how I was getting that kind of distance, because those fish were getting spooked when he came closer to the bank than I had. I took his reel and set the reel correctly for the fluke he had tied on(to flouro). I explained that the thin braid and the proper setup on my reel gave me the edge. Shimano and Daiwa both make excellent products. I wont bash one simply because I dont use it. Maybe others should also try that here.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm

I did not bash Daiwa... just stated I observed one backlash after another and he was not out casting me. Simple as that.

I will say I don't like Daiwa baitcast reels, but that is just a personal preference- from decades of experience with all brands. I just don't like Daiwa but I do use older Daiwa spinning reels. I don't like the shape of Daiwa baitcast reels... how they feel nor how they operate. I am Shimano spoiled...

Maybe the person did not have it dialed in, but I did observe one backlash after another into the wind. So on the one hand adjusting them can be problematic even for an experienced person, and on the other hand they are the greatest thing since sliced bread to some.

As stated both brands make a good product, just completely different is all. To each their own.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm
I did not bash Daiwa... just stated I observed one backlash after another and he was not out casting me. Simple as that.

I will say I don't like Daiwa baitcast reels, but that is just a personal preference- from decades of experience with all brands. I just don't like Daiwa but I do use older Daiwa spinning reels. I don't like the shape of Daiwa baitcast reels... how they feel nor how they operate. I am Shimano spoiled...

Maybe the person did not have it dialed in, but I did observe one backlash after another into the wind. So on the one hand adjusting them can be problematic even for an experienced person, and on the other hand they are the greatest thing since sliced bread to some.

As stated both brands make a good product, just completely different is all. To each their own.
His struggles sound like a case of user error. I own both brands and prefer a Daiwa since you can set and forget the spool tension and relegate the rest of the work and adjustments to the magforce Z.

As for the original poster's question, I would go with the Tatula SV. Better drag, longer handle and friendlier spool for most applications.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by Warhawk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm

The Tatula isn’t loved by the enthusiast, I get it. But it’s hard to find a better reel for a beginner. I set up a Tat CT on a cheap med action rod with 12# mono for my niece. She loves to fish, but was intimidated by baitcasters. I set it up where it was hard to backlash, pretty choked down but still cast reasonably well.

She had zero backlashes and was making good casts and catching fish in just a few minutes.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:51 am

Warhawk wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 pm
The Tatula isn’t loved by the enthusiast, I get it. But it’s hard to find a better reel for a beginner. I set up a Tat CT on a cheap med action rod with 12# mono for my niece. She loves to fish, but was intimidated by baitcasters. I set it up where it was hard to backlash, pretty choked down but still cast reasonably well.

She had zero backlashes and was making good casts and catching fish in just a few minutes.
Did the same thing for my GF. She calls the reel her tarantula because it has a spider logo on it :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Used SS SV or Tatula SV TW

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:51 am


Did the same thing for my GF. She calls the reel her tarantula because it has a spider logo on it :lol:
That's why I always thought it was pronounced "ta choo luh," kind of like "tuh ran choo luh," but when you watch all their videos they all say "tat too luh" or "tuh too luh." I don't know. I think my way sounds better. :mrgreen:
This is the way.

Post Reply