New grease suggestions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New grease suggestions

Post by reason162 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 pm
So it's been a while to get back to you. I did get literature and a reference from one shop that uses it for servicing reels - the typical "this product is the bestest" letter. I also got a blown tube from work so will give that a go in one of my reels...

When I said blown tube... Seriously sticky stuff!!! Wondering if it'll be better than my usual NLGI grease?
It literally has the feel/consistency of white Elmer's glue lol...

I've been painting the inside of frames with the stuff, and using Shimano Drag grease on the gears. I like how Shimano grease quiets down a reel...but they don't last esp with the way I rinse reels after saltwater trips.

Looking forward to your insight re Tef Gel.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:25 am

To each his own, but I will stick with Shimano ACE 2 drag grease for the gears, or Cal's, which is about the same. I do not pack my pinion bearings in grease anymore. They have been stripped clean of all grease and I now dip them in TSI301 and it has worked really well for the last three years.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 pm

My fishing is generally saltwater light to medium jigging and trolling/casting for saltwater Barra and their cohabitors, good old blue Yamalube on cogs and sliding parts, Tef gel in bearing cups and screws, standard Corrosion X on “all” bearings except the spool bearings on a couple of outfits that I use for casting lighter lures, which is 1/4 to 1/2 oz for me :D , on these I use HH Alchemy oil. Cals biscuit coloured grease on drags which are invariably carbon including changing out those composite washers under the main gear (bought a Mayhew washer punch kit many moons ago, great investment). My main aim is saltwater protection and generally use heavier lures at closer ranges so my spools don’t really have to spin forever except for those couple of lighter ones.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:00 am

reason162 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am
It literally has the feel/consistency of white Elmer's glue lol...

Looking forward to your insight re Tef Gel.
While not aware what Elmer's Glue is... I've decanted two tubes of th Tef-Gel into a old Body Shop moisturiser jar - that being said it wasn't an easy task whatsoever! Possibly something for those that may travel down that road is that Tef-Gel flows "easier" when warm - found that out too late however.

Have torn down the Calais DC for the washout and ultrasonic bath tomorrow morning - the marine grease gets truly flung off after some use in this thing - will be interested to see how Tef-Gel lasts on the gears and how it slows it down? It's advertised as primarily a anti corrosion / assembly paste - but I've been given the green light to use it as such by them at the office...
IMG_20190706_194411.jpg
Cal DC
IMG_20190706_194411.jpg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
IMG_20190706_194438.jpg
Cal DC bits
IMG_20190706_194438.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Some pictures to tell the messy / sticky long winded decanting tale.
IMG_20190706_194336.jpg
Tef-Gel 1
IMG_20190706_194336.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
IMG_20190706_194306.jpg
Tef-Gel 2
IMG_20190706_194306.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
IMG_20190706_195656.jpg
Tef-Gel 3
IMG_20190706_195656.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 5742 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:30 am

My, it is like Elmers glue! :lol:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:12 am

Terribly sticky / tacky / tenacious stuff...

Its got a propensity to string off the gear and hold to the yolk guide posts upon spinning the gears to work through - so upon applying the yolk springs it holds to those a little too much - enough holds to the gears but by god it strings off bad...
IMG_20190707_195059.jpg
Tef-Gel 1
IMG_20190707_195059.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
So applied some WS2 for added benefit...
IMG_20190707_195128.jpg
Tef-Gel & MoS2
IMG_20190707_195128.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
Will let it run through for a while - not too keen to revisit the Calais again for a bit...

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:12 am
Terribly sticky / tacky / tenacious stuff...

Its got a propensity to string off the gear and hold to the yolk guide posts upon spinning the gears to work through - so upon applying the yolk springs it holds to those a little too much - enough holds to the gears but by god it strings off bad...

IMG_20190707_195059.jpg

IMG_20190707_195128.jpg

Will let it run through for a while - not too keen to revisit the Calais again for a bit...
Not sure I would be keen on that stuff having a free run in the gear box, I have enough trouble controlling it putting it in bearing cups with plenty of cue tip cleanup required to clean up the stringy bits :x

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 am

DaisyZillion wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 am
Not sure I would be keen on that stuff having a free run in the gear box, I have enough trouble controlling it putting it in bearing cups with plenty of cue tip cleanup required to clean up the stringy bits :x
Try using a pure bristle small paint brush that's cut down fine and beveled - it can also be warmed as I mentioned above which allows it to flow easier. But I've just used Woollube Lanolin grease for all that dissimilar metal jazz, except for the screw holes in the body etc which now gets the Tef-Gel goop.

Thus far I've been winding it on the couch in front of a couple long winded chick flick movies (weather hasn't been that crash hot) - thumb on the spool to provide pressure and winding away at a constant speed, and the other half giving me angry looks for being disruptive while watching a movie - click - click wind, click - click wind, click wind, click wind (you get the picture).

Anyhow no apparent change in feel yet which is promising.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 am
DaisyZillion wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 am
Try using a pure bristle small paint brush that's cut down fine and beveled - it can also be warmed as I mentioned above which allows it to flow easier. But I've just used Woollube Lanolin grease for all that dissimilar metal jazz, except for the screw holes in the body etc which now gets the Tef-Gel goop.

Thus far I've been winding it on the couch in front of a couple long winded chick flick movies (weather hasn't been that crash hot) - thumb on the spool to provide pressure and winding away at a constant speed, and the other half giving me angry looks for being disruptive while watching a movie - click - click wind, click - click wind, click wind, click wind (you get the picture).

Anyhow no apparent change in feel yet which is promising.
The sheep fat will be a bit easier to use but I have had such a good run with the Tef Gel I am hesitant to change, I do usually apply it via a fine brush but, well, you know what it is like. I will try warming it up a little on the next service run, cheers for the tip :D

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:12 am

IMG_20190707_195128.jpg

Slazmo, any updates on this experiment?

I too added a bit of Shimano drag grease over the Tef Gel on my Revo Beast...almost feels perfect. But haven't really fished it since then.

Now I'm looking at that ZPI F-0 Medium, looks similar to that grayish grease you topped off the tef gel with.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:10 pm

My life's been a whirlwind of buying a house, marriage, child arrival, selling my old faithful Suzuki Sierra and buying another ASX and work, crappy weather (either drought & no water / downpour rains and flooding), servicing and home DIY work also...

Ive applied the Tef-Gel to my Curado K MM gears and while it worked well for a few trips the sandy gear feel has come back, it's annoying especially as they're the 6.#:1 gears used for top water and cranking so you feel it... I've applied it to my Stradic FA Ci4+ also, but it seems to slow down spinning reels a fair bit, even when applied sparingly.

I'll keep going with it but just don't have the regular time to get out much...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:10 pm
My life's been a whirlwind of buying a house, marriage, child arrival, selling my old faithful Suzuki Sierra and buying another ASX and work, crappy weather (either drought & no water / downpour rains and flooding), servicing and home DIY work also...

Ive applied the Tef-Gel to my Curado K MM gears and while it worked well for a few trips the sandy gear feel has come back, it's annoying especially as they're the 6.#:1 gears used for top water and cranking so you feel it... I've applied it to my Stradic FA Ci4+ also, but it seems to slow down spinning reels a fair bit, even when applied sparingly.

I'll keep going with it but just don't have the regular time to get out much...
Congrats!

Can't believe you smeared that stuff in your spinning reel lol...probably hard to even turn the handle. I did one Zillion SV with a mixture of 1/3 tef gel 1/3 ace 0 and 1/3 drag grease...so far so good, still stringy but lighter. I'll service another reel with just the ZPI Medium grease to compare.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Just ordered some ZPI F-0 Gear Grease Medium (been using Shimano grease so far). What's a good high-performance oil to get? Unfortunately TW is out of ZPI F-Zero Reel Oil.

Edit: I found some F-Zero oil on eBay (is that store okay to mention?)